protocol for discontinuing tramodol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 21, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

does anyone know if there is a special protocol for weaning off of tramodol? i've only been on it for two weeks. was up to 200 mg daily but due to constipation and headaches my principal care said to try 100 mg a day. i was however thinking of weaning myself off of it altogether. i know some folks here take it as needed, which seems odd since it causes mild reuptake of norepinephrin and serotonin and should be taken consistently like an anti-depressant. that's why i'm wondering if it should also be weaned off of like an anti-depressant.

another failed med! no more pills!!!

eddie
  2. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

The neuro I use to work for would wean off by 50mg every 3rd day...are your pills 100mg?
    200mg
    day 1-3 150mg
    day 4-7 100mg
    day 8-11 50mg
    day 12-15 25mg if needed

I have been on it pretty steady since September (I have rx for ultracet 2 a day and ultram 4 a day...usually take all of them) and when I first started I could really tell it had the reuptake thing goin on...it was almost like taking a xanax or valium it calmed me right down in addition to helping with the pain...sadly now it is doing neither...see doc jan2 will be trying to get something for breakthrough added

hope this helps
    Amy
  3. Musica

Musica New Member

I just posted about what my PCP told me about tramadol, but I didn't know about the mild reuptake of norepinephrin and serotonin, and that it SHOULD be taken consistently. Thanks for that info! That helps it make more sense!

Also, it seems to make sense why sometimes after taking the first or second dose of a day, I will suddenly take a deep breath and relax! It's like all of a sudden my whole body relaxes, and not just because there is less pain.

It's fascinating how it works!
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

just give it a bit longer at the reduced rate.
    i have found myself with so much more stamina and my kids dont mind me getting out the car or driving now (long story) but i can join in more.
    please just try the lower amount first.
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

smiffy, i do believe i'll try the reduced dosage (50mg 2x day) for a little while to see how i feel. i had high hopes for this drug at first. like others have mentioned, i was high as a kite with no pain for a couple days, but the constipation is insane, i have this new urinary hesitancy problem since starting it and i'm already prone to migraines (i've had two since starting the tramodol). it seems to work well for what i consider my "fibro" pain spots which sort of move around, but the achiness in my legs and back inevitably returns. i've started seeing an experienced chiro about the leg and back pain because it seems to be something altogether different from the fibro pain. i took a fall on my tailbone last year, and i've also learned my right leg is shorter than my left. all this equals joint irritation, myofascial trigger point pain, and no amount of pain killers is going to help that. i have to get my spine aligned or i'm just spinning my wheels!
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

as far as the constipation goes.. a lot of meds will do that. I would consider taking a fiber supplement. Or my Gastro doc says to take a 1/2 cup of oat fiber (cooked by directions.. you will find it on the shelf above oatmeal) mix it with some applesauce and take every morning.. She also suggests eating dates and figs, prune juice if you can stand the stuff and taking a stool softener with it to help your body adjust to the additional fiber. She gave me a prescription stool softener but there are some you can buy over the counter.
    I take tramadol off and on for pain relief... Not everyday.. so I didn't know there was any weaning off of it as I don't take it all the time. It does seem to help me. It even gives me a little bit of energy sometimes it seems..

Good Luck!!
    dona
  7. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

it was jogged on another post,although its just dawned on me i could have gone to the cupboard.duh!
    i use lactulose to help with toilet duty :)