Protonic Users..............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Dec 23, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've been on this RX for just over a week (40 mg 2x/day).

Curious how long it took for you to stop having food reactions (except the long term trigger ones). I just tried a little cheese & the nauseau hit.

Also tried eating 2 prawns, and the heartburn appeared.

Am sure for me, with a lengthy history of this inflammatory stomach, it'll take some time, but just interested in other's progress.

Thanks & LIGHT*************carole
  2. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

It took several days for the protonix to affect me when I first went on it (I've been on it for about 2 and a half to 3 years now.)

The main thing, is that if I miss a dose, the acid reflux goes insane and makes me sick for several weeks. I'm sure I'm an extreme case, but it does take a while to kick in.

And considering you're on the highest dose, too, I'm guessing yours is pretty bad, too.

It is acid reflux that you have, isn't it? Because cheese shouldn't affect it--milk actually calms down acid in your stomach and esophagus. If your stomach's particularly bad, bread helps with the acid, same as milk. Just nothing greasy or spicy or fatty.

-Danielle
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I have the "3"....acid reflux/gastritis/gerd. Because I couldn't eat anything for almost a week, I was supposed to stay on "soft" foods til I didn't react.

Cheese is a protein & all proteins are naturally difficult for me to to digest; thus the reaction with it & the prawns. I just know I need protein, so I'm going to stick with my protein powder til my next "test".

What dose are you on? Do you have to avoid any other foods than the spicy/fatty ones?

Thanks for any feedback.

LIGHT***************carole
  4. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

right away, & I was thrilled I didn't get the big "D" w/it. Every other proton pump inhibitor I've tried gave me the diarrhea & turned into microscopic colitis, then that was healed after going gluten free for 6 1/2yrs, then became IBS. So I was hesitant in trying the Protonix. I was using Prilosec 20mg (cut in half) daily..

Didn't get the "D", but after using it for 6+ yrs. it wasn't working for the GERD anymore, so tried Protonix. I use 40mg. daily & so far, so good. I've been using it for about 2 1/2 mos. now. I hope it will continue working for me.

Maybe your doc might want to run an H-Pylori bacterial test for your stomach. I had that, & did the cure for that, which involves anti-biotics & a Proton pump inhibitor.

I know how awful that burning/nausea is w/GERD...Hopefully you & your Doc can figure out something that will help.

Blessings;
    Fifth