protrusion of C2 disc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Apr 16, 2007.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I was told that I have a slight protrusion of my C2 disc after receiving an MRI and everyone has said that it is no big deal; however, when I went to a fibro suppport group this weekend where a chiropractor was speaking I brought it up and was told that it is a big deal for people who have fibro because of increase of "factor P". Never heard about that before. Does anyone know about that?
  2. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

Hi,
    I don't know your age but most people over 40 have some type of disc disease such degenerative disc disease (DDD) due to the normal aging process. A bulging disc should NOT cause problems unless it is pressing on the spinal cord or the nerve roots that come off of the spinal cord. Some people also develop bone spurs (osteophytes) following an injury to the neck, which can also cause problems if the bone spur is pressing on a nerve root.

However, it is VERY unusual to have a disc bulge/herniation at C2-C3. Who ordered your MRI? I would talk to a neurosurgeon and not rely soley on what a chiropractor says. BTW, Substance P is found in the cerebrospinal fluid of many FMS patients and is thought to play a part in transmission of pain signals periphally to the central nervous system.

Depending upon which side the disc is bulging (or it could be bulging centrally), look for these symptoms which would indicate pressure on the spinal cord or a nerve root due to herniation, which can develop following diagnosis of a disc bulge:
    Arm pain and weakness
    Paresthesias of the arm (numbness, tingling)
    Decrease in sensation to temperature (AKA decreased thermal sensitivity)
    Walking/gait problems
    Balance problems
    Spasticity of the lower extemities
    Bowel/bladder incontinence

If you develop any of these symptoms, you need to see a neurosurgeon ASAP. You might research Brown-Sequard Syndrome also on the web, which is caused by C2-3 disc herniation (not bulging).

Hope this helps.

Lynn
  3. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

It was a horrible place I went to to have the MRI done. I have to go to workers comp dr in CA and they are all terrible.

The ortho dr's that have looked at that say that is all normal wear and tear and most people have a bulge there. I will look up what you said.

I fell in the parking structure at my work and fell hard. I'm having pain all over since 9/11. Especially my right shoulder.

I have had trouble with my neck, shoulders and back from years and I've been told that I have fibro. The first ortho dr. said that the bulge was not a big deal. It was taken in an open MRI because I have claustraphobia and I'm told that they don't take that good of a picture when they are open and it was a sleazy place I had it done at.