Provigil and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by booherap, Apr 9, 2003.

1. booherap

booherap New Member

I am taking risperdal, which i believe has been causing me to be fatigued and lack motivation. My doctor prescribed Provigil for the fatigue and I don't know if it is actually working. Does it take a few weeks for the full effect of Provigil to happen? I am wondering if anyone has experience with this drug. Thank you
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So I cut the dose in half and then in quarters. Instead of giving me energy and making my head clearer, it had the opposite effect. Either I had a paradoxical reaction or the Provigil reinforced the properties of the Klonopin. The doc said that might happen.

I felt awful while trying it. The mechanism by which this drug works is not well understood, but it works in a smaller area of the brain than other stimulants do. An article I read said that most people get the same benefits from caffeine without the expense.

Love, Mikie
  3. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I am on Provigil.I was soooo tired that I could barly get in shower,not even dressed by one in the afternoon.What a difference it has made,I noticed a change in about three days.I am so upset-my new insurance will not cover Provigil for FM patients.Thank God for a great Dr.,he is giving me samples.I am one of the lucky ones who has a great Doc.!!!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I do not have the Klonopin hangovers. I awaken refreshed and not groggy at all. I do take Klonopin in very small amounts during the day if I am edgy, anxious, or suffering from sensory overload.

My doc looked all my meds up on his little electronic PDR and it said that Provigil may increase Klonopin's effects. I suspect I may have ADD too and that could account for a paradoxical reaction.

The Provigil appears to work in the area of the brain responsible for production of dopamine and it is used to treat Parkinson's Disease. While I felt this drug may not produce the seizure activity of most stimulants and SSRI's, I'm not sure I'm comfortable messing around with the dopamine-producing area of the brain either. I was, therefore, not all that disappointed that it didn't work for me. I'm afraid that if production of dopamine is messed with, it could bring on Parkinson's Disease. I have no medical support for this, just a hunch. On the other hand, Provigil has been used in Europe for a long time without this happening, so it is probably relatively safe.

All I know is that my fatigue is horrible right now because this damned Red Tide refuses to go away and other allergens, which normally do not bother me, are bothering me now.

Love, Mikie