PROVIGIL anyone tried for energy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pat45, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Pat45

Pat45 New Member

My doctor wants me to try PROVIGIL to give me some energy.

I'm a little concerned because of blood pressure issues.

Has anyone tried it? What was the result?

Any info will be appreciated.

Take good care, Pat
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I was on it for about 6 months, and will probably go back on it. Had to stop because between that and all the coffee I was drinking I was getting overstimulated. I am weaning myself off coffee, then will start it again.

Start at a low dose. I took 100mg in the am about 2 hours after my other meds. I am on Zoloft and Wellbutrin, which I take at 5:30 to 6 am. then I took the Provigil at 8am.

If I was staying up past my regular bedtime (9pm) I would take another 100 at noon.

It worked wonders for me. No more brain fog, which was great, since I work full-time. No side effects from it at all other than the overstimulation, however, that again as I said was due to drinking too much coffee with it.

Hope this helps.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I told my doc I would try it but I wasn't going to stay on it. He gave me samples. It had a paradoxical effect on me and made me very groggy.

Dr. Cheney believes that SSRI antidepressants and stimulants increase the seizure activity in our brains and can cause premature death of the overfiring neurons.

Other docs have expressed concern over taking drugs which affect the chemicals in the brain over long periods of time. Provigil affects the area of the brain which regulates dopamine. Cheney has expressed a fear that long-term use of this drug may eventually cause Parkinsons-like symptoms or Parkinsons Disease itself.

That's the bad news. The good news is that some here have gotten energy from taking it. You can do a search on Title here and find our old posts. We've posted on this drug quite a bit. I would strongly urge anyone considering this med to research it and consider the risks.

Love, Mikie
  4. silkyblues

silkyblues New Member

I take a half of one on days that I would like to be productive. It works so nice. It makes me feel normal.
    I don't take it daily because there is a pay back.
    Jan
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I tried Provigal when I first became so ill. The first few days I felt normal again except around 4pm I started getting anxious & jittery. Then in the evening I would be very tired. I would crash. It made me afraid that I was pushing my body into working by medication and that was not a good thing. I felt that my body knew what it needed and that was rest. You need to know that at that time my blood pressure was dropping 30 to 40 points when I stood. That was in the spring of 2003. Since that time my blood pressure is more stable and I have tried it on a few occasions when I had to do things that I needed extra energy. I had the same experience with a major crash in the afternoon. I really wish it would work for me but it didn't, but that is my body and you may be different.

Susan
  6. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I started taking Provigil about nine months ago. My dosage has changed a lot since starting it. At first, the Provigil gave me the shakes. I felt overly nervous after taking it. Now I take double the amount I started with but I can lay down and take a nap 30 min. later. I don't think it works much for me. I do still take it because I am scared of the effects of stopping it. All of the meds work differently on everyone.. So, give it a shot!
    Good luck,
    Angela
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Participants said the energy gained from the Provigil was about equal to that gained from caffeine. That's not much of a payoff for such an expensive heavy hitter drug.

Love, Mikie
  8. Des2nee

Des2nee New Member

Ive been taking Provigil for about 1 year on and off. Most recently the past 3 months ive been taking it reguraly without the jittery effects I first felt. I had to titrate my dosage up slowly over time. Im now up to 150mgs daily in 50mg increments. I take tham at 7:30am,11:30am and around 2pm. If I do not take them Im sleeping the better part of the day, or a couch potatoe.

I have fibro and it works for me. Remember everyone reacts differently.
  9. FM58

FM58 New Member

Hi Pat,

My fibro doc has prescribed Provigil for me.

I use it on an as needed basis only. For that it is somewhat useful.

Unfortunately, I can not take it on a regular basis due to side effects.

If your insurance will cover it Pat, give it a try. Do you have a BP problem? Can you moniter your BP at home? Can you get out to one of those drug store or supermarket free BP moniters? Perhaps your PCP's office can have you come in to have a nurse moniter your BP. (My insurance does not charge for a nurse visit like this).

As was mentioned earlier, you can do a search on Provigil, this has been a frequent topic. Best of luck to you Pat, hope the Provigil works for you.

Gentle Hugs,
    Patty