Provigil Better Than Cymbalta?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pat460, Feb 14, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

My doc recently prescribed Cymbalta to wake me up and give me energy. He said he didn't like giving the Provigil--only as a last resort. Has anyone tried both? If so, which do you prefer and why? Thanks in advance. I could really use some help with this one as I stay wiped out almost every day. Often, I can't even shower. Puuuuu!
  2. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

I haven't tried either medicine yet but I do want to pass on some information about Cymbalta to you and others who read this post. You SHOULD NOT get pregnant while on Cymbalta, as your baby has a great chance for developing birth defects. If you're going to take it, you have to make sure that you're using very effective birth control.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2007]
  3. tngirl

tngirl New Member

cymbalta helped my pain but I had other side effects.

It exacerbated my movement disorders and affected my cognitive ability.

It wasn't worth the trade off.

I've recently begun taking provigil. It's astonishing the difference it has made. I still have pain but I finally have some energy. The doctor said it lasts about 8 hours in your system and then it is gone. That seems to hold true for me.

He cautioned against trying to take to stay awake 24 hours.

He said if you take it too late in the day it can interfere with sleep. I take it in the morning and am able to get through my workday. I think it also elevates my mood although I don't know that is a commom effect.