Provigil......Does anyone use this??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by futurehope, Apr 17, 2006.

1. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Hi everyone,

I went to see my Doctor today and he told me to do some research on Provigil and see if I wanted to take it.

I like it when he leaves it up to me!!

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone has any experience using this drug or are taking it with success.

BTW: I have CFS along with tons of other problems.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  2. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

I've been on Provigil for 5 months and if I miss taking it. I know it by 10:00 a.m. I'm lucky to have no side effects. It is very expensive even with my co-pay so I have an aunt get it for me when she goes to Mexico. I take two 200 mg pills every morning

My Dr. told me it was developed for the military to keep soldiers on the front line. I guess after 8 hours they just can't go home. Anyway it's only supposed to affect the awake center of the brain.

I got so I could no longer drive because I was almost narcoleptic due to fibro, CFS, and sleep apnea. I so value my independence and when I couldn't drive you might as well as stuck a knife in my heart. I still have a little trouble now and then and between 7:00 & 8:00 at night I get really sleep. If I get up and walk around a little, I'm okay until bed time.

Try to get some samples from your doc. It took 3 days to know it was helping and a week to decide I couldn't live without it. If it doesn't help right a way try a dose increase. I kind of leveled off on one pill after 2 months so my Dr. upped my dose. I also researched an article on the internet saying they were giving a small afternoon dose to give the patients a little boost.

I hope this helps you decide.
    LuAnn
  3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I took it once- and I felt like I was on an illegal drug like speed or something- I was wired, edgy, panicky, hyperactive ... it really freaked me out.

I think I have slight bipolar tendencies and a very sensitive nervous sytem- it reacts very strongly to anything that is a upper (besides antidepressants that can have drowsing effects like prozac and remeron). So that might explain why I reacted to strongly to it.

I don't like it, but i know that it can help some people. :)
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I tried it for a very short time, and it was a disaster. I found out later that stimulants and CFS don't usually go well together, and can make you worse. However, everybody is different. Apparently some people have had good results with it. Marie
  5. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi

I have posted many times on provigil. It is a good rx for me and has helped greatly. You can highlight my name to the left of this post and my profile will come up. From there just highlight my provigil topics.

Hope this helps,

Elsa
  6. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Just wanted to let you know that I have read all of your posts and appreciate the responses.

I have decided not to take the "Provigil".

I think that I would rather live with the Chronic Fatigue than deal with more Panic Attacks and Weight Loss.

I am already extremely under-weight.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  7. foxyred

foxyred New Member

Hi,
    I've been taking Provigil for a couple of years. It is a miracle drug for me. I take a couple of narcotics for the pain and I could fall asleep in the middle of ANYTHING before using Provigil. As I've said before on here. It's really scarey to be driving on the interstate and wake up with several semi trucks blowing their horns at you and you're in the other lane than the one you went to sleep in!!! Needless to say I had to give up driving after that.
    At my next appointment I told my doc how the narcotics affected me, he wrote the prescription for Provigil and I've been awake ever since. I take it early in the morning and by 9 or 10 pm, I'm sleepy and ready to go to bed like normal people. Please try it if your doctor is offering it to you. OK?
    Foxy
  8. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Hated it, know it helps others but not me. Even when I took a little portion, I had insomnia.
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

If you are suffering from panic attacks this might not be the drug for you. However, it isn't "speed" like adderall.

It works on the same receptor sites found in the sleep/wake cycles part of the brain, thus the reason it was created for narcolepy. For the most part it doesn't interfer with appetite .... but like you have most likely read before, drugs effect all of us differently.

Hope you are doing well ....

Elsa
  10. futurehope

futurehope New Member

Even though you are taking them and are for the drug, I appreciate that you understand my concerns!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  11. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I take Provigil and I haven't noticed any appreciable side effects with it.

It is expensive, but otherwise it gives me the ability to function a little, instead of not at all.