Provigil dosage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I just started on a trial of Provigil today and am wondering about the dosage. My doctor said to start at 1/4 of the tablet. The tab is 200 mg. so I'm taking 50 mg.

How do you know if it's enough, or if you need to increase. I forgot to ask her about that.

Thanks so much,
    Hopeful4
  2. kalaya

kalaya New Member

That is a very small dose that she has you commencing with,most people would take 200mg or more per day.The maximum allowable daily dosage is 600mg so what she has you begining with is quite small.If you feel more energy from 50mg then great but if not I would tell her that you need a higher dose.Alot of the times they will start you on a small dose just as a precautionary measure to make sure that you can tolerate the med and get your body used to it before putting you on a normal dose.God bless.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

50mgs is a tiny amount. My doctor had me start on that very same small dose. They probably want to make sure you don't have any adverse reactions to it.

It wasn't long before I raised my dose. At 50mgs you ought to be able to tell if you can tolerate it, but don't expect to feel alot ( if any) boost in energy level. Well, you might ... since we're all so different.

I have the 100mg dose. That way I'm alittle more in control of how much I take. Some days I don't need any and some days I want that 200mg shot right off the bat.

My most preferred dose schedule is 100mgs on an empty stomach in AM and then follow up with another 100mg dose no later then 1pm.

It is not unheard of for me to take 200mg AM and 200mgs between 1 and 2pm.

You can take up to 600mgs a day.

Hope this helps you. Good luck with it. If provilgil works for you it can be a wonderful "quality of life" medication.

Elsa
    PS ... Iam so laughing at the almost identical post between mine and Kayla's (sp). We sound like a couple of provigil old pros. If she trades off with adderall, I going think she's been living in my skin!! LOL[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2005]
  4. vp

vp New Member

I take it occasionally, I take anywhere from 50 to 200 depending on how much I need to get done. It helps me with the mental alertness, but not at all with the physical fatigue. There are some days I take 200 and have every intention of getting something done, and the body still says no. Then I'm stuck with mind running and no gas to go anywhere.

I would take it regularly, but my ins. won't cover it, and 30 day at 100 per day is about $200, so I have to predict when my body is giong to cooperate with me so I don't waste any.

Funny how one of the few drugs that give some moments of feeling good, the insurance doesn't think I need.

Good Luck
    Valerie

5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Kalaya,
    Yes, the 50 is small. I've had problems with reactions to meds, so I think we're starting small for that reason. I began the Provigil yesterday and noticed it working that very day! Instead of my regular 2 hr. afternoon nap, I just rested and relaxed for 20 minutes, then got up and made dinner!

Elsa,
    So it sounds like I can take it more than once per day. I'll have to see how it effects me, and use some common sense. I like what you said about it being a "quality of life" medication. That is a good way of viewing it.

Valerie,
    I'm sorry that it's so expensive and difficult for you to obtain. I'm on a free trial so I didn't have to pay for this batch. I'll have to see if my insurance will cover. It's just not right that in this country sick people suffer for lack of meds!

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Best of health and happiness,
    Hopeful4

[This Message was Edited on 10/21/2005]