Provigil for Fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by StLSara, Apr 24, 2003.

1. StLSara

StLSara New Member

Regarding the use of Provigil, my neurologist started me on it in Februay. While it is no miracle drug, it has improved mental clarity and mental fatigue, significantly reduced my headaches (which were almost constant) and ringing in the ears. But as I said, its not a miracle drug. My body still gets very fatiqued after even the slightest exertion. The first week was a little rough getting used to it. I would fall into a dead sleep around 6:00 pm! Apparently my brain wasn't used to be stimulated all day! The motor-agitation side effects were very mild and went away after the first week or so. I don't know if it is actually addictive or not, BUT when I went to the SSA for an appointment, I did not take any medicine that morning. I felt like I was out in left field!! I couldn't concentrate, I couldn't remember things, and I got a ticket driving home! As a former RN however, I would say that for me the benefits out weigh any side effects and I plan to stay on it!!
  2. frrdtravelagent

frrdtravelagent New Member

I was put on Provigil late last year for excessive daytime sleepiness in spite of my nightly use of CPAP for Sleep Apnea but other than a 1 week trial use, I have not used it because it's so expensive but if it will help with the fatigue cause by FMS, I'll come up with the money somehow because I've had more problems with fatigue than pain!
  3. Panamala

Panamala New Member

I tried Provigil for four days and from day two on, felt like I was catotonic....wide awake in a fog and couldn't speak or move. I was also over exerted from an all day shopping trip on the first day. How many milligrams do you take? Also, you mentioned it was rough getting used to it? What was your experience?

Thanks for sharing ;-)