Provigil? or something like that

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lau, May 6, 2003.

1. Lau

Lau New Member

Hi Everyone!
    At a recent dr appt doc was telling me about Provigil? He said he had to check to see if trails have been done for CFS/FMS and would let me know. It is supposed to help with alertness/fatigue. I'm looking for any help I can get. Has anyone heard of or tried this? Has it helped?
    Take care,
    Hope you are all sleeping and will let me know tomorrow.
    Love, Lau
  2. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

Hi Lau,

This is my first time here, so bear with me. My rheumatologist prescribed Provigil for the extreme fatigue I was experiencing from CFS. He indicated that he was successfully treating over 600 patients with this medication for CFS. Provigil is a "wakefullness pill" used to treat narcolepsy and he was seeing results in CFS patients as well. My insurance company did not cover this medication as the FDA has only approved this medication for the treatment of narcolepsy,,,,,it cost $119.00 for a 30 day supply. I was only able to take this medication for 3 days,,,,,I had severe headaches, body pains, nervousness, rapid heart beat, trembling hands and just plain felt like I was losing it, however, I was wide awake. I called him back with my findings and he indicated that I should not take anymore, as I was having an adverse reaction. I seriously have to question if taking a medication to rev you up is the answer,,,,if your body is saying it's tired and sick,,,,perhaps a "pick me up" pill is not the right answer. Best of luck to you. Debi
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had a paradoxical reaction from it and was even more fogged, confused, unbalanced physically, and fatigued. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it. There are samples available so make sure your doc gives you some to try before you spend a lot of money on this stuff. The sad thing is that even for the people for whom Provigil worked, they said that it didn't work any better than a little caffeine, which is much cheaper.

How Provigil works in the brain is not well understood, but it works in a much smaller area of the brain than other stimulants. It works where the brain produces dopamine and is used to treat Parkinson's Disease.

There are some people here who have gotten results with Provigil. It's like everything else; it affects us all differently.

Love, Mikie
  4. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I have FM,am just a little older than you,and have been on provigil for almost a year.It has helped me tremendously-with no side effects.Before starting on provigil I was sooo tired,not able to get dressed and in shower without resting in between.Nothing helps everyone,we all react differentaly.Our insurance was just changed,and dosn't cover provigil,but it helps me so much my Dr. has been giving me samples(what a great Dr. I have!!).I understand what Micki means,but I can't use caffine,and caffine does not help with alertness,etc.[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2003]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Caffeine will interfere with our sleep which the Provigil does not do. That is one of the reasons it is desirable.

I'm glad it works for you.

Love, Mikie
  6. Lau

Lau New Member

Always hoping for the "magic bullet". Guess we'll have to wait. I have to confess I've used caffine tablets, even though I know it just hurts me in the long run. There are times when I just feel I have to get things done around here, and they do temporarily give me some energy (with increased pain though). Then the flare-up follows from pushing myself to much. Hard to get past what everyone expects from me, what I expect from myself and what I 'used to do' before even though its been many, many years. Anyway, thank you all for being there, your help and understanding mean so much.

Love to All - Laurie