Provigil vs. Nuvigil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Mar 23, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Provigil stopped working for me, or at least I think, as I also found out my ferritin is low.

I would take 100 mg. of Provigil and then sleep for four hours.

My psychiatrist recommended Nuvigil. I was kind of skeptical, thinking the same drug under a new name. She said it is more specific and fewer side effects. Since the first month is free, and I need to pay my taxes, I thought I would at least give it a try.

I am going to start tomorrow.

I did a search and they were all old, the posts not the posters, :>), so don't know if there is new information.

Provigil would give me about six hours of being around 80 percent. I never felt high, wired like I do with caffeine. It would give me an occasional headache, especially at first, but nothing debilitating.

This was my experience on Provigil but would like feedback on other's opinions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

but I am wishing you good luck with it! Keep us posted.
  3. paulac7

paulac7 Member

I took Provigil for several years off and on, and last year (i think) when the Nuvugil came out, my rheumy gave me a bunch of samples. I was taking the "P" 200 mg 2x daily, and the "N" samples were 250 mg.

I found the 250 mg "N" has more 'bang for the buck' than the "P", and for lack of a better term--it is more of a 'cleaner' onset, and when it would wear off after about 10 hrs or so, it wouldn't lead to such a crash, so to speak.

I had a little nausea with it, but nothing a few crackers couldn't handle.....:) Also, I found if I took my dose in halves (took 1/2 pill, then about 2 hrs later took the other 1/2) it seemed to work better for me--maybe because I wasn't getting hit with the full dose at once. One "N" seems to do for me most of the day.

Overall, given my choice--I prefer Nuvigil, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with it Gap, and let us know how it works for you--

4. loto

loto Member

is more "pure" than provigil. At least that's what my doc told me.

Unfortunately I couldn't take the nuvigil anymore because it made my tongue swell. Guess I was allergic to one of its ingredients.

And, I tried provigil also, but it seemed to make me more depressed. I don't know if it interacted with the Cymbalta I take also, or what, so I decided on my own to stop taking it.
    It did stop me from feeling sleepy in the middle of the day, so I was really dissapointed that it made me more depressed. But, it was the culprit of that, because after I stopped taking it my mood improved back to its "normal" state!

Hope you have good results with the Nuvigil!

5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

about the only result I got from provigil when I tried it was a constant severe headache, however, if it worked for you then maybe the nuvigil will too

let us know
    [This Message was Edited on 03/26/2010]
  6. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Didn't work for me for very long. About two weeks max.

Even after six months away, I got no effect when I went back to it.
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've taken both of them. I had a one month free supply of Nuvigil and discovered that it is about twice as strong as Provigil and lasts longer too. I looked up info and found that the pharm co just barely tweaked the formula of Provigil to make Nuvigil because the Provigil patent is about to expire. Apparently they want people to prefer the Nuvigil due to the $$$ aspect.

I didn't really prefer one over the other, but I only had to take half as much of the Nuvigil. Since my ins won't pay for either, I've always ordered the generic Provigil from a Canadian Pharm over the internet (per my Dr's advice). This stuff is sooo expensive!

I did experience some nausea and headaches when first taking both, and found if I took a lower dose to start off, it was better. I sometimes take 2 separate smaller doses of Provigil, one in am and one around noon. That makes for a smoother onset and less side effects (for me anyway).

But I still prefer the Dexedrine ER that I also tried...but it lost it's effectiveness over time (as does the Provigil, but not as noticeable).

Good luck and let us know how you feel when you try it.

xoxo Hermit
  8. Scarlettjlb

Scarlettjlb New Member

I've been taking Provigil on and off for years. When I get into a severe fatigue flare, it helps me get through the day. Then the Dr suggested I try Nuvigil. He started me with 150mg samples. This was a good time to try them because I have been, and still am, in a severe fatigue flare. The nuvigil was moderately ok for about 5 or 6 hours, so the Dr said to take 2. Ok, I tried that. By 4:00 in the afternoon I was falling asleep and still need 100 mgs of provigil to just make it through the day.

As far as feeling high or wired, I never had that feeling with either of them. I could probably take 2 150mg nuvigil twice a day or 1 200mg provigil twice a day and it would probably be about the same.

9. ddcarpio

ddcarpio New Member

I read that Provigil has two main substances, one active and one inactive and that Nuvigil only has the active substance which allows them to market it as a new drug. Provigil's patent runs out in 2012 and so they are pushing Nuvigil (hence the free samples) because ... you guessed it, they won't make as much money on Provigil once it goes generic. Sorry that I didn't keep the URL or I would include it here.

I have found that Provigil makes life more bearable, but it is still possible to over-do and crash. Like you, I don't feel high or wired. I did have headaches when I first started, but didn't contribute them to Provigil until now. Don't have the headaches any more. Have been taking it for about two years, but only in the last year have I been taking it almost every day. I'd hate to imagine life without it.
  10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

my doc reluctantly rx'd phentermine when i was trying to lose the 50 lbs i gained from agreeing to stay on the didn'nt really help me lose weight, weight watchers did that....but i happily discovered the phentermine made me feel like i was cured for most of the day! i have, of course, he feels like he should not rx it, since it is an off label reason.....there are studies that list phentermine as one of the drugs that control pain and fatigue of fm!!! but he wants me to do a sleep study to justify the phentermine, to show that i am tired from not sleeping and need the phentermine.....he put me on adderall and i was so wired from that it didn't work when i called for a refill since i take it in the summer when i am feeling a bit better and want to make the most of the winter, nothing really helps....he got all weird and made me come in for an office visit...then he got really mad that i refused the sleep study....sorry but i have a disabled adult daughter living with me, 2 young boys and am going through a divorce.....i was dumped by my husband after 24 years....he was sick of me being isn't easy for me to get away for a night for a sleep study...and it wasn't even necessary!!! it just would have eased his conscious for rx ing the phentermine...

i wish he would read up on it....he is a conservative small town GP that was helpful by giving me pain, because he is buddies with my husband, he is suddenly not helpful at all.....and he is messing up some stuff with my attorney....he was supposed to let her know if he had it in his notes that he said I could no longer work.....and he was all wrapped up in yelling at me about the sleep study and telling me i was difficult to work with....and so he didn t listen to anything i said or asked that he is sending her letters saying i never requested paperwork to go on disability???? huh??? that is no where near what i asked....and i can't fix i over the attorney had to write to me and that will cost me about $100 and she sent me the form he sent her that includes a charge of $75 from the clinic!!! what??? what is he doing? he totally was not listening to me that day....he was in attack mode...he still can't comprehend that the phentermine isn't to keep me awake but to kill the pain and fire me up a bit to want to get up and do stuff.....i need a new doc!

anyways, i haven't had the chance to try either provigil or nuvigil but phentermine works wonders for me....i just build a tolerance to it pretty quick so i try not to tqke it every day...