PROVIGIL!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chp1298, Oct 3, 2005.

1. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

My PCP nurse just called and said doc okayed Provigil and will call in to pharm. WOO HOO!!!I will begin it tomorrow. Any suggestions or warning I need to expecting.

And by the way thanks to all of you, wo you I would not be aware of the cymbalta I am now taking and is helping or the provigil. After I get used to these 2, PCP said I can try Lyrica. He had never heard of it but said he had checked up on it. Of course I had my handy dandy notebook with all the info.

Thanks everybody and wish me luck with these meds.
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

That's great! I have some suggestions where provigil is concerned. I have taken it for a long time and it is a helpful drug for me.

I don't know what strength your doc is calling in ..whether 100 or 200 mgs. If it is 200 mgs, then break in in half ... taking the first half in the AM no later then 10am. Doing it this way might make it easier for you to become accustomed to it.

If all goes well then take the second half ( if needed) around 1-2pm.

Good luck and take care,

Elsa
  3. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

Thanks for the advise. I dont know what strength he is calling in but I am excited to think I might one day soon not feel sleepy and tired all the time. The cymbalta has certainly lifted my mood and now if I could sleep and feel refreshed I would be in hogs heaven.(I guess you can tell I am a country girl).
  4. sunnyskiesrainbows

sunnyskiesrainbows New Member

Provigil did wonders for me, but still I have allot of problems.
    I would like to warn you. The provigil might give you at first too much energy for your fibromyalgia to handle. Be very careful that you do not overdo....This happened to me and it was because I was a long time without any energy.
  5. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

My copay is $50 for a months supply but I hope it will be worth it. I can order mail order and get 3 mos for $100 if the pahrmacist will call and get it pre approved so I will have to do that if it works.
  6. orachel

orachel New Member

...but personally I had a horrific experience with it causing manic behavior and really AWFUL neurological side effects...more info is in my "sos" post of about a week ago. If you search for sos or provigil you should find it.

I'm sure you'll have no such reaction, but the bottom line is that I always like to go into any medication knowing all of the possibles, but this one wasn't posted in standard side effects. A few other members responded that they had a VERY SIMILAR reaction on the same med....just be aware of any weirder than normal neurological stuff.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  7. elsa

elsa New Member

Many can't tolerate it and for many it just doesn't do anything. If you are one who falls into the category of provigil helping you, then it should hold it's effectivness for as long as you need it.

I have been on it for over a year and a half. Still works in the same ole same ole for me.

Some tips to make sure your body doesn't start to get use to it.

If your dose is 200mgs per day ... then break the timing and amt up. Don't ever take it at the same time everyday. One day take 100 mgs am and 100 mgs pm ... the next 200 mgs by 10 am ... maybe take the next day off.

If you routinely schedule "recovery" days, then take that day off from provigil.

Just some ways to keep yourself from becoming accustomed to it. Provigil is not a drug that builds on itself to be effective and you don't have to taper down the dose if you want to stop using it.

Good luck,

Elsa
  8. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

It has some side effects as above states, me it caused constipation, anxiety and sleepless nights, if yoou take the med to late in the day-forget about sleeping!

I would take it before 12 noon so i could sleep at night.

It does give you the energy but it makes you over due things as it states above- and WOW the pain the next day is awful!

take it slow-