Provingil for fatigue with fibromyalgia and i take wellbutrin with hbp?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Jan 31, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

How many out there take provigil am i the last to know about it i need help with fatigue seriously. I see where there is a trial going on or completed. I have a friend who has MS and takes it. My problem is i do take wellbutrin sr and if i take an upper it will make me crash or hurt. It interferes with the drugs blood flow i think i dont know. I also have High blood pressure.
    I think i saw where ga pshyc takes it. if so how much and does it help? What about insomnia.
    Wouldnt that be awesome to have energy.
  2. hensue

hensue New Member

You seem to be able to try a lot of stuff what kind of doc do you go to? if you dont mind me asking? I do take magnesium and malic acid and i really believe in it.
    So i might try your cream Kirkman's magnesium cream what does it actually do? do you know?
    Where do you put it and how much do you apply?
    ask a lot of questions dont i?
    Thanks a bunch
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Hi, hensue.

I take Provigil. Other than a few headaches when I first started, I do not have any side effects. It does not make me hyper. I take 100mg. in the AM.

I was taking it on needed however my PCP suggested that I try and take at least 50mg so it will be in my system evenly. This has helped. I kind of stopped for a while and started again a few days ago and notice a difference. Then if I need another 50, I can take it in the PM. I usually go for the 50 mg. It makes me feel normal for a couple of hours.

You are on Wellbutrin? Ask your doctor about this as I had a reaction to it that made me hyper, grumpier than Oscar the Grouch with manic like behaviors. Didn't feel good, just irritable.

I am also thinking of asking my PCP for a referral to a endocrinologist. I have some hormone issues plus my mother, grandmother and two of my aunts all ended up with Graves disease. My daughter has had a few issues when she was trying to get pregnant. I thinks POS?

Hope this helps.

4. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

Provigil does not get to the root of the problem, it just artificially stimulates the nervous system. And in the fibromyalgia patient, the nervous system is already over sensitive. It is like taking caffeine or nicotine. Studies show people with fibromyalgia have a problem of not getting enough parasympathetic time. Provigil makes that worse.

It will make you feel more energetic, but it is like an electrical circuit that already has too many appliances on it getting more juice. At some points, the fuse blows or a fire breaks out.

I also have seen that there is concern with anti-depressants and provigil "burning" the brain after taking them three to four years. I took Cymbalta for a year. Glad I did. But I can see that it is unnaturally stimulating parts of the brain. Even with seratonin, there can be too much of a good thing.

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You bring up a good point.

Provigil is a bit different than a stimulant. I think it goes to a different area of the brain. I will see if I can find some more information.

It does work much like a stimulant does for a child with ADD. The stimulant actually makes the brain tell your body to calm down. If a child gets hyper on these medications, then they do not need them or are on too much.

It's just counter intuitive, isn't it?

Provigil was developed for Narcolepsy

I never feel overstimulated but actually feel "normal" and do not crash. If I drink too much caffeine, I feel overstimulated, on or off the Provigil. I have no problem with sleeping.

However, I am not on that high of a dose and this is my experience. I am very very sensitive to medications so was surprised that this didn't hype me.

Things like caffeine, energy drinks, etc. are more likely to make you crash than provigil.

But you are right about the importance of striking a good balance and that is why it is so important to be under a doctor's care who has experience with the medication.

Take care.

6. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I took 2 sleep studies last summer and they prescribed a C-PAP machine which helps my sleep but my brain was still tired and I always felt sleepy. The doctor then started me on Provigal 200 mg daily. It has helped me a LOT. I can function better more of the time. I still crash BAD if I have too much stress or too much physical activity.

I take Lexapro , Provigal , and Xanax and use my C-PAP

I don't want to give up on any of them. I guess I will never be normal but these are the things that help me the most.

It is indeed awesome to have more energy. It doesn't seem like an "upper" to me. I call it my "wake up pill".

Good Luck,

7. What DO you take for energy? Maybe I willl start a new post.
  8. UsedtobePerkyTina

UsedtobePerkyTina New Member

I pace. I don't push. If I plan activity tomorrow, I stay home and only do computer and phone work today. I avoid going out in the cold. If I have a crash, I rest. When at home, I stay on the recliner, except to eat and bathe.

I used to take ATP. I don't need it any more. I noticed after a while that low stress, effective sleep and pacing did more for my energy level than all the stuff I was taking.

But, I made improvement over a period of two years. There is no quick fix, only healing time. I used to stay home four days in a row, in the bed.

I avoid sugar and caffeine. I eat often in the day. And I take rest periods during the day, even if I go out of the house. I lay down, even if in my car, for thirty minutes at least for every four hours of activity.

The first book I read about CFS said you need to give your body time to recover. The dentist author from Australia said to start with bed rest totally for three months. Then gradually start eating at the table, then add something else, etc.

I know some find it hard to do with their responsibilities, but provigil does not allow your body to heal from the harm done. Just as DayQuil makes the symptoms go away, but what heals you is rest and fluids, I found same to be true of CFS. We simply need more rest and nutrition than a healthy person, not "energy boosters."

(does not apply if you are deficient in thyroid or B12. Of course that would be needed if you are deficient.)