Provogil For Tiredness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by herblady, Sep 19, 2002.

1. herblady

herblady New Member

i have just learned of a drug that can be prescribed for exhaustion. it is for narclepsy but i was told that they are starting to use it on fm patients, too. here's some info:

What is PROVIGIL?

PROVIGIL is a novel, wake-promoting drug...

Improves wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) associated with narcolepsy.

Promotes daytime wakefulness without affecting nighttime sleep.

Improves patients ability to participate in daily activities.

Generally well tolerated, adverse events were mild to moderate in clinical trials.

Convenient once-daily dosing.

Phone-in prescriptions and refills permitted.

Clinical Efficacy and Safety

PROVIGIL promotes daytime wakefulness without affecting nighttime
    sleep1,2

PROVIGIL efficacy established, objectively and subjectively, in the two largest Phase 3 trials ever conducted in patients with narcolepsy.

PROVIGIL improves patients' ability to stay awake and participate in daily activities.

PROVIGIL does not interfere with nighttime sleep architecture or with patients ability to fall asleep when needed.1

PROVIGIL has a proven safety profile 3,4
    sleep1,2

PROVIGIL is generally well tolerated.

Long-term safety has been established for up to 136 weeks in open-label studies.4

Most frequently reported adverse events were headache, nausea, nervousness, anxiety, infection and insomnia. Most adverse events were mild to moderate.

PROVIGIL may interact with drugs that inhibit, induce or are metabolized by cytochrome P450 isoenzymes.

No clinically relevant changes in blood pressure or heart rate in normotensive patients.

Convenient once-a-day dosing
    sleep1,2

PROVIGIL provides the convenience of once-daily dosing.

The recommended dose for PROVIGIL is 200 mg taken orally once daily in the morning.

PROVIGIL doses 200 mg and 400 mg QD, were shown to be effective compared to placebo.

PROVIGIL is easy to prescribe
    sleep1,2

Written and phone-in prescriptions are permitted.

Refills are permitted.

No triplicate or multiple prescriptions are required.

References: 1. US Modafinil in Narcolepsy Multicenter Study Group. Randomized trial of modafinil for the treatment of pathological somnolence in narcolepsy. Ann Neurol. 1998;43:88-97. 2. US Modafinil in Narcolepsy Multicenter Study Group. Randomized trial of modafinil as a treatment for the excessive daytime somnolence in narcolepsy. Neurology. 2000;54:1166-1175. 3. PROVIGIL full prescribing information. 4. Data on file. Cephalon, Inc.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PROVIGIL PLEASE SEE FULL PRESCRIBING INFORMATION OR CONTACT CEPHALON PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AT 1-800-896-5855

PROVIGIL is indicated to improve wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness associated with narcolepsy.

2. herblady

herblady New Member

i have just learned of a drug that can be prescribed for exhaustion. it is for narclepsy but i was told that they are starting to use it on fm patients, too. here's some info:

What is PROVIGIL?

PROVIGIL is a novel, wake-promoting drug...

Improves wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) associated with narcolepsy.

Promotes daytime wakefulness without affecting nighttime sleep.

Improves patients ability to participate in daily activities.

Generally well tolerated, adverse events were mild to moderate in clinical trials.

Convenient once-daily dosing.

Phone-in prescriptions and refills permitted.

Clinical Efficacy and Safety

sleep1,2

PROVIGIL efficacy established, objectively and subjectively, in the two largest Phase 3 trials ever conducted in patients with narcolepsy.

PROVIGIL improves patients' ability to stay awake and participate in daily activities.

PROVIGIL does not interfere with nighttime sleep architecture or with patients ability to fall asleep when needed.1

PROVIGIL has a proven safety profile 3,4
    sleep1,2

PROVIGIL is generally well tolerated.

Long-term safety has been established for up to 136 weeks in open-label studies.4

Most frequently reported adverse events were headache, nausea, nervousness, anxiety, infection and insomnia. Most adverse events were mild to moderate.

PROVIGIL may interact with drugs that inhibit, induce or are metabolized by cytochrome P450 isoenzymes.

No clinically relevant changes in blood pressure or heart rate in normotensive patients.

Convenient once-a-day dosing
    sleep1,2

PROVIGIL provides the convenience of once-daily dosing.

The recommended dose for PROVIGIL is 200 mg taken orally once daily in the morning.

PROVIGIL doses 200 mg and 400 mg QD, were shown to be effective compared to placebo.

PROVIGIL is easy to prescribe
    sleep1,2

Written and phone-in prescriptions are permitted.

Refills are permitted.

No triplicate or multiple prescriptions are required.

References: 1. US Modafinil in Narcolepsy Multicenter Study Group. Randomized trial of modafinil for the treatment of pathological somnolence in narcolepsy. Ann Neurol. 1998;43:88-97. 2. US Modafinil in Narcolepsy Multicenter Study Group. Randomized trial of modafinil as a treatment for the excessive daytime somnolence in narcolepsy. Neurology. 2000;54:1166-1175. 3. PROVIGIL full prescribing information. 4. Data on file. Cephalon, Inc.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PROVIGIL PLEASE SEE FULL PRESCRIBING INFORMATION OR CONTACT CEPHALON PROFESSIONAL SERVICES AT 1-800-896-5855

PROVIGIL is indicated to improve wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness associated with narcolepsy.

3. epicurean

epicurean New Member

hello Herblady,
    I have been on provigil for about 2 mo.'s.It really makes a difference.I take 100 mg. in A.M.Now have sooo much more energy,and seem to have not so much fog-more clear headed.
  4. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

I had heard good things abt provigil..as always you provide excellent reference material. I'm going to talk to my rheumy about it, cause that's the only thing I haven't been able to treat effectively is the overwhelming fatigue. Thanks again for the info.

Sofy, hope you find something that works for you.

Take care. Michele
  5. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I am on 600 mgs of Provigil. I take this dose first thing in the morning. My doctor says that I may take another 200 mgs at noon if needed. I was having horrible fatigue.
    Provigil has cleared my head and allowed me to be much more productive. I work full time--I love my job so I will do anything to retain it--the Provigil has been great.
    Mia
  6. clprez

clprez New Member

I used it, and have posted on this board about it before, so you might want to do a search.

It is not a general stimulant, so you don't get that 10 cups of coffee feeling. It acts on the hypothalmus, which is what is messed up in CFIDS/FMS patients. That's why they think it might do some good. The other good news is that it's not long acting, so after taking it awhile, you know how late you can take it before bedtime. To me, it didn't feel as strong as other stimulants. I have e-talked to a number of people that were trying to switch from Adderall or Ritalin to Provigil, and to many of them, Provigil was like taking candy. The other thing I really like about it, was that when I was having a fibro-flare and needed to lie in bed, I could do so on Provigil. I could rest, but not fall asleep. When I tried Adderall, I just couldn't sit still, and it was making my FMS worse.

Because of my inability to stay awake for an entire day, I used Provigil as an afternoon pill, so that I could get through an entire work day without having to take a nap. Before provigil, I had to go home everyday and take a 45 minute nap and commute 40 minutes.

Eventually, it made my tinnitus worse, and I started getting bad headaches, so I had to discontinue it.

If you are thinking about taking a stimulant, I would try Provigil first before trying a full CNS stimulant.

Carol
  7. herblady

herblady New Member

i'm going to see my dr. soon and i'll ask her to prescribe it. thing is, hubby the nurse says even though it isn't speed, it's a class 1V drug and may be hard to get. i'm going to ask anyway. jaimy, i know the cause, fm, and there is nothing that can be done at this time. so i have to treat the symptom until something better comes along. i really need my energy back. cindi
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a study going on in Miami for using Provigil in FMS patients. I believe it is used in patients on chemotherapy to help with fatigue.

Knowing what I know about the seizure state that our brains are in, I would hesitate to add anything which would have a stimulating effect. I would be afraid that even though it would help in the short term, it might make matters worse in the long term. When we are so tired, we cannot stay awake during the day, it is tempting to want something that will keep us awake.

I am still very fatigued, but the Klonopin is producing quality sleep and the thyroid I've just been taking a couple of months is helping too. I believe it is stress, grief, sadness, anger, and depression which have been causing this fatigue. I am back in therapy to try to deal with these underlying causes.

I am open to things, but not until they have proven themselves over a pretty good period of time. It will be ineresting to see what the studies turn up.

Love, Mikie
  9. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

Every patient is different. I have literally been turned inside out--have had every test to rule out other problems.
    I have been to 3 ENTS--thought I had an inner ear problem;
    1 neurologist--had all the tests to rule out MS etc...
    Endocrinologist--added thyroid to my present regime of estrogen, progesteron (had a hysterectomy 3 years ago)
    In addition, my husband is a doctor!! Anyway, the Provigil has been helpful for me. I eat a healthy diet, I run/walk 5 miles daily ( I hate that--I used to run my 5 miles with great speed and little effort) and take supplements. I am working very hard to heal myself. I want my life back--I love my husband, my job etc...
    So the most important thing is to work with your doctor to find what is appropriate for your recovery--it may be Provigil it may not be.
  10. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

Problem with any sort of treatments for sleeping or staying awake is that everyone's brains has a different combination of chemicals it's lacking or overproducing, be it serotonin, dopamine, hormones etc. Haven't disagreed with Jaimy for awhile (actually haven't posted for awhile) but more and more info points to, in the majority of FMS sufferers, it being a brain/sleep problem. We have to reduce or increase the proper combinations of chemicals in order to get any relief. But that isn't to say there's other causes of FMS.

Nice chatting with you all. Will return to cave for a while.

Bob
  11. selma

selma New Member

I've been taking provigil 100mgs in pm.. It has helped me.
    But, if Jaimy says it has yuk side effects, I trust her research. I'll be wary. But Jaimy, it works!!!

Love, Selma
  12. lea

lea Member

Hi Mia:

Do you take the 600mg all at once?
    How are you with fatigue if you don't take this much?
    thank you in advance
    best,
    lea
  13. herblady

herblady New Member

i still say my exhaustion is caused by fm. i never had it before the fm. i had boundless energy. fm is a disease in itself and to say different will only just give the crappy dr.s who don't want to deal with it ammunition. cindi
  14. epicurean

epicurean New Member

I was never tired a dy in my life until fibro found me!!My first symptom was sleeplessnes-now I sleep like a baby,but for 2 yrs. had no energy until put on provigil-it has woeked wonders for me!!!
  15. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

Hi Lea--I take 600mgs of Provigil first thing in the morning. If I don't take it, I would sleep for 15 hrs, and would be "brain dead" during my waking hours--could not think clearly. I am working very hard to restore my health and I found the unending fatigue was not facilitating my recovery. The fatigue was causing a great deal of despair that in itself was not helping my recovery.
    I do everything I possible can for restoration--eat properly, exercise, take supplements, but I truly needed assistance with the fatigue. I have had CFS for 18 yrs, but it was not diagnosed until 6 months ago--I thought for many years that my symptoms were due to allergies. It was not until I had a hysterectomy that I became very ill--I think the surgery triggered the Eptein Barr virus to reactivate. I had mono in my 20's. My poor husband--we have only been married for 6 years--I have not felt well for 3--he truly is a dear to me--I unfortunately was given a personality that tends to seek perfection--I work too much--I do everything to excess!! My mother always said, moderation in everything and no when to stop!! i wish I had listened to my mother!! Take care
  16. alomasp

alomasp New Member

read all the posts,i am on 400mg. provigil a day.2 -200mgs,a day one in morning, one mid-morning.had not heard of any side effects,but thanks for the info on it. if it was not for provigil, i would not get out of bed each day. with the loss of energy i have,i need this just to function, seems fm 7 Oa has taken my life away,including depression,panic attacks, another pill,whats a new one(my opinion only)Alomasp
  17. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

I was just thinking about posting to see if anyone had heard from you! Well, it's like they say,great minds think alike!! heehehehehe

It's so good to here from you!
    Love, Barb
  18. herblady

herblady New Member

thanks sweetie. good to see you too. i wasn't able to get on the comp yesterday, a very busy day, so now i'm trying to catch up. jaimy, i hope you don't think i'm just trying to be a butthead. we see the thing differently but i do understand what you're saying now. cindi
  19. lea

lea Member

Sweetmia:

Thanks for your informative reply.
    I was wondering if you consider yourself a small, med. or large person? You take a larger dose and am wondering how your doctor is with that?
    thank you in advance
    best,
    lea
  20. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I am petite--I am 5'4" and weigh 112 lbs. I am 46 years old. My doctor has told me that if needed I can take another Provigil in the afternoon--so that would be a total of 800 mgs!!
    The other drug therapy I have found effective is thyroid.
    My endocrinologist has me on 75mgs of Armour thyroid and 5mgs of Cytomel. My doctor thinks that for a number of years my thyroid was not functioning well. Very important to have your thyroid checked--not just the TSH. Also have dr check free T3, free T4, TPO antibody and a.m. cortisol.
    The thyroid, plus an emphasis on very good nutrition--especially high protein, and supplements have really helped alot. Mia

[ advertisement ]