Prozac absolutely quaint or useful??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Feb 20, 2007.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Anyone using good old Prozac for pain relief or anything else?

It seems everyone has moved on to the SSNI's.

Is that because the Prozac is useless? It used to be such a rage and everyone loved it, but now?

I'm thinking of trying it as those SSNI's are too much for me. But why put more poision in my system if it doesn't do any good. . .just thought I would check with you all out in the trenches.

Thank you.
  2. myjoy

myjoy New Member

I was on prozac for 15yrs, because of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
    It helped that quite a bit, and I was greatful for it. But 3 weeks ago I went off it to start cymbalta, because of my 'for sure' diagnosis of Fibro.
    I don't think the prozac helped my pain any, but it sure helped my other problems.

The cymbalta doesn't seem to be doing too much for my pain so far, but my emotional outlook is much better when it comes to handling the fibro.

Why did the doctor suggest prozac for you? Just wondering, thanks.
    myjoy
  3. bct

bct Well-Known Member

is an SSRI.......
    It was the first one if I'm not mistaken.
  4. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I took prozac for years 12+ and then Lexapro and then recently started the Cymbalta regime. I had a few days when I actually thought I had more energy but the past 3 days have been a big disappointement...sick to my stomach, tense, anxiety to the point of almost having panic attacks that I haven't had for years, almost like I had terrible pms is how I felt...Have a doctor appointment tomorrow to discuss all this with him..Only pain that cymbalta has helped was my hip joints and my left elbow...have you had any problems at all? I took a xanax after the Panic episode today so I"m more calm but it doesn't look good for me to remain on this medicine. I had high hopes. I took prozac and lexpro for depression and panic attacks.
  5. myjoy

myjoy New Member

No, I haven't had any problems with the cymbalta. But as I said, it doesn't seem to be helping with the pain (I have bad left hip pain and many others).

Emotionally, I am feeling better though. Things just 'look' brighter. If the prozac made you feel better, ask about perhaps getting on it again. I thought it was a good drug, but just doesn't seem like enough anymore, since the FM flares I've had since august.

How long have you been on the cymbalta? Sorry it's given you trouble. I've only been on it for 3wks.

myjoy
  6. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Well, from this small sampling it doesn't seem to be much good for pain. However, I have so, so much pain and "nerve" sort of pain and also I think that sort of anxiety-exhaustion that lisapetrison posted about.

Sometimes just being calmer helps cope with the pain. I have joint pain -- severe, muscle pain -- agonizing and all sorts of nerve pain. I tried Effexor and was really enthusiastic but I swear it was like being on some sort of psychedelic drug for me -- I was literally dreaming while awake and hearing voices when trying to go to sleep. I was anxious in some strange way too. Heartburn and all the rest, natch.

Anyway, I had tried Prozac before and had no bad response so thought I would give it another go and maybe a higher dose and also I would be mixing it with Lyrica (which hasn't been much help yet but I have to increase the dose).

Also the prozac doesn't seem to be such hell to get off.

Did you guys gain weight with the Prozac?

Thanks so much. Sigh . . .

7. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

Been weaning off lexapro on to cymbalta. Began on Jan 26 with 10 lexapro instead of 20 and 30 cymbalta. then on Feb 2, 60 cymbalta and 20 lexapro..then on the 9th No lexapro and have been on only the 60 of cymbalta for almost 2 weeks.
  8. MoibonFL

MoibonFL New Member

I didn't gain weight with prozac. It was wonderful but I didn't take it for any pain. at the time my doc thought my aches and pains were due to stress. It s a wonderful drug for the right people.
  9. blkkat

blkkat New Member

hello im glad you made it through the last few days of livin hell, im sure!! hey have you taken neurontin before? i can only take a VERY small dose cause any higher and i cant find my way home!! but i get severe nerve pain ,a walking on ice barefoot shooting,stabbing, muscle, tingling,numbness like pain. w/400mgs of neurontin it helps me ,to go on to the next day. hope this helps. also yes im on 30mgs prozac, lets just say it saved my life!!!! and leave it at that!! not sure if it helps w/ the pain. GOD BLESS --- BLKKAT
  10. tconley0826

tconley0826 New Member

Prozac is an SSRI
    Prozac worked for 6 years, I am going back to what worked better than anything else that has been tried. Prozac!!

My doctor thought it would be a good idea to try a new med, due to the noriepinepherine effect, assisting with pain, I agreed. That was 4 moths ago, at first it seemed to work, but after 4 months it's NOT WORKING. I was on Cymbalta 60mg daily & is/was NOT working, the stress level (more volcanic-quick to anger & rage) is not managed anywhere near what Prozac was doing.

Friend of mine tried Effexor & he was in a rage so much of the time, like a time bomb, I wouldn't try it even if the dr recommended it.

Good Luck & Keep Your Chin Up. I was diagnosed 12 years ago after a car accident & a year of treatment that wasn't getting any better, just worse. Phytoprolief made by Arbonne does wonders with effects of Fibro, from 1st hand experience.
  11. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

I had a rough experience w/ prozac. But, im super sensitive to anything and everything. I wouldnt put that pill in my mouth again if you paid me. It does seem to work for many though!
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Over the years, I've taken a whole bunch of psychiatric drugs. Only the Lamictal (an anticonvulsant used for mood swings and, one of my doctor says, apparently also useful for CFS) has really helped.

I think Prozac makes agitated exhaustion worse.

This would make sense, since it makes hypomania worse. (It's my feeling there's a big overlap in the mechanisms agitated exhaustion and hypomania, although I've not read much about it.)

I've yet to read anyone on the board with CFS who's been helped much by antidepressants in general.

A lot of doctors who specialize in CFS seem to agree. I haven't heard of any knowledgeable doctors recently prescribing them, and Cheney spoke out against them strongly in his seminar last fall.

As far as I can tell, the SSNRI's are even worse than the SSRI's for CFS patients.

Of course, it's possible that some CFS patients have success with antidepressants. We're such a motley group that there's no way to make definitive statements about any treatments.

Best, Lisa