Prozac Affects Sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hahaha, Nov 7, 2005.

1. hahaha

hahaha New Member

Well my new doc recommended I try Fluoxetine (Prozac) to see if it would help my CFS, but I have now stopped it after taking only 2 pills as it seems to adversely affect my sleep. I generally can't get to sleep before about 530am at the moment and ususally awake around 1 or 2pm but with the Prozac I woke around 1030am so only slept around 4/5 hrs.

It seemed to stop me sleeping through a layer of fatigue in my head and left me feeling weak and fragile. Maybe I should have tried it for longer but I could not continue to take something that was making me feel worse.

Perhaps I need to sort out my sleep cycle before I try it again? Any advice or experiences appreciated.
  2. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

i have been on prozac for several months and have taken other SSRI's for over 10 years. they always upset my sleep for about a week when i wsitchpills or doses but then that side effect goes away. for me, the benefits far outway the side effects, but everyone is different.
  3. hahaha

hahaha New Member

I have a feeling that's what my doctor will say. I think the problem was that I took my first tablet after a particularly poor night's sleep of only about 4 hours, so the next night when I would normally catch up I again woke after only 4 hours or so perhaps because my body thought that's how much sleep I should be getting due to the prozac interfering with the cycle. I took the Prozac again but then again the next day woke too early and by then was totally drained so I decided to stop it so I could get some sleep to recover!

MAybe if I could try to regulate my sleep first ie by going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, then start taking the Prozac in order to hopefully give me an energy boost?

What positive effects of Prozac did you notice?