Prozac, anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blast, Oct 5, 2002.

1. blast

blast New Member

I have been on Prozac now for almost 6 months. Somedays I feel o.k. and others I feel so desparate. I am depressed for other reasons than Fibro, but wondered if anyone else has had a weird reaction to Prozac?
    I was on Effexor, but it made me gain a lot of weight quickly, so we switched. I do not have a lot of side effects from it, so that is one good thing I like about the Prozac. Unfortunately, I don't feel it is working at it's best. I also, on occasion, have anxiety attacks, which my doctor thinks could be from the Prozac. I don't necessarily want to change meds again, but am not quite sure what to do.
    Any suggesstions? Any other anti-d's that people are just crazy about? I also wonder if I could possibly have a type of depression that is being missed. Possibly bi-polar, or manic?
    Anything that anyone has relating to any type of depression would be of great help.
    Thanks to all
    Blast
  2. blast

blast New Member

I have been on Prozac now for almost 6 months. Somedays I feel o.k. and others I feel so desparate. I am depressed for other reasons than Fibro, but wondered if anyone else has had a weird reaction to Prozac?
    I was on Effexor, but it made me gain a lot of weight quickly, so we switched. I do not have a lot of side effects from it, so that is one good thing I like about the Prozac. Unfortunately, I don't feel it is working at it's best. I also, on occasion, have anxiety attacks, which my doctor thinks could be from the Prozac. I don't necessarily want to change meds again, but am not quite sure what to do.
    Any suggesstions? Any other anti-d's that people are just crazy about? I also wonder if I could possibly have a type of depression that is being missed. Possibly bi-polar, or manic?
    Anything that anyone has relating to any type of depression would be of great help.
    Thanks to all
    Blast
  3. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

hi, i have battled depression on and off for years. Came with a car wreck in 96 probably what triggered the FM. anyway, it was really bad for me. i won't go into the details, but it was low. i was on prozac for months and it did help. i could feel a slight but definate increase in my moods. i then started to get headaches, so i was switched to elevil, which did also help too. eventually i was able to go off anti depressants altogether. about 2 1/2 years ago i stopped smoking, got terrible panic attacks, depression kicked back in and was bad again. i could not pull myself out of it. i felt like i was losing it. went to my doc and she put me on zoloft, been on that ever since. i feel more normal, more even keel when i take zoloft. i thought i could go off it because i had been feeling good. i did not take it for 3 or 4 weeks. depression started to creep back in and there was that empty dark hole again. I also take an occasional xanax for those really bad anxious times. Ask your doc about finding a med more suitable. prozac is not for everyone and there are different side effects for different people.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One of the reasons we cannot sleep is that many of us are constantly in a slight seizure state. This also causes anxiety and sensory overload due to the overfiring of our neurons. SSRI antidepressants cause the neurons to fire even faster. Dr. Paul St. Amand has two sister articles in our library, one on Klonopin which describes the seizure state thing and one on how SSRI's can "fry the brain" with long-term use. Both are good articles.

Love, Mikie
  5. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

It's no walk in the park, is it? I have had chronic Depr since I was 19. Finding the right med/or combination of meds is so individual. If only you could be hooked up to a machine that would indicate which meds would have optimum results for you. For the time being you will have to be a lab rat and try different meds, dosages, etc. until you find what is just right for you. Don't be afraid to work with your doc and be honest about your experiences. Thank God I had a patient and experienced psychiatrist who finally discovered what beat the big D. Regular docs are soon in over their heads when it comes to anti-D's. You are best off with a psychiatrist. God bless, Al awpcwp@cs.com
  6. blast

blast New Member

Hey Allen,
    Do you think I should see a psychiatrist or psychologist?
    I know the first is an M.D., but in our town they are so hard to get into. Booked months away, so I could wait up to 6 months for an appt.
    I guess maybe my PCP could either increase the dose or change it to something else until I get into see one.
    Do you know anything about Paxil? I've heard it is great for anxiety and depression. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the help
    Blast (Sherri)
  7. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

a yoga class to help you control your bio-rhythms or would you want to go to a medical doc first to asses to what degree and type of high blood pressure you had?

I first became acquainted w/mood disorders when 13. I am now 54. The treatment of mental illness or mental disease has grown unbelievably and I personally believe as treatment for depressive illness and anxiety fueled illnesses grow, medications will be discovered by researchers that will have many applications by virtue of dose regimines. The facts you stated sounded to me like you should go to a professional. If they feel your depression or anxiety or whatever is not true clinical mental illness they will tell you. That is not to say medication should or should not begin; that is a professional and personal decision.

Become aware of seratonin syndrome and the parkinsonian-like symptoms some get from SSRI's with Prozac being #1. 15 years ago I took Prozac, deseryl and xanax under the care of a very fine psychiatrist and I fared functionally. After I had my son and developed FMS/MPS, for which I had major denial, the Prozac gave me SSRI Syndrome. I asctually tested positive for two tests concerning parkinsonism.

There are differing types of "depression" and different treatments thereunto; an MD could go with an SSRI as sales has hit their offices hard leaving many samples..but I would want to obtain the best medical advice I could. CactusLil (I have dysthymia w/major depressive episodes now secondard to FMS/MPS, PTSD, Panic disorder w/agorophobia.) As I said this nightmare of mental illness began when I was thirteen and librium or sinequan was the med of choice. I'm still kicking though! Good luck. CactusLil'
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

titled "Everyone, pls answer this question" regarding ssri's & benzo's.

Lots of different experiences with both, if I had it to over again I would not ever touch one.

Jaci
  9. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

It is best to see a psychiatrist who uses both therapy and meds, unless you have a psychologist who isn't afraid to refer you for your meds. Some clinics have a team of docs who attack the problem holistically: psychiatrist, counselors, nutritionists, etc. As for SSRI's frying your brain: that's so not correct. Too much uninformed paranoia about meds for mental disorders. Get well and God bless, Al