***Prunella...questions***

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SherylD, Oct 6, 2006.

1. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Hi...A while back you had posted on a thread of mine. It was about my swollen gums..

Well you had mentioned silica...I have started to avoid this and do notice a little improvement...Also if I eat chips now my gums get tender...I think it is how much I get is how much I pay..

Although the last time I had my teeth cleaned I didnt' get so sore...Maybe he rinsed them good?? Not sure.

I did just go get a cavity filled and I am still paying for that...It knocked me for a loop..

My questions for you are what soaps, lotions, shampoos, conditioners do you use....everything has that dimethicone in it.

I found Aubrey Organics to not have it in them and I started about a week ago and my itching is about gone..I think between the dimethicone and the sulfites I was doomed when I would take a shower..

I did find a toothpaste...It by Welda...It is a calendula toothpaste. I seem to do ok with that...

Do you use any type of salt or seasonings on your food???

Thanks for you help!!

SherylD
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

3. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks Linda for your bump...
  4. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Hi Sheryl,

I have to type quick. Hubby wants his turn on the computer! I use Burt's Bees Baby Bees Buttermilk Lotion, Avalon Organic shampoo, and good soap is easy to find at the health food store or even farmer's markets around here. My vanity does win out and I often use regular shampoo. I use a brand called Peelu for toothpaste.

I actually have gum pain right now which I haven't had in months! I took some Vit C lately and I don't know if that might be related or just another trigger. I feel real awful when it flares up.

The last time I went to the dentist for a cleaning I took my Peelu along and they used that instead of their polish. No problems at all that time.

Spices I buy at Penzeys here in Milwaukee. They have a website penzeys.com I believe. I am lucky I can go shopping in one of their stores!

I have been eating out more the last few weeks and maybe that caused this flare. I cook everything from scratch at home.

Let me know if you find any other good products. It would be great to help each other.

I buy sea salt at the health food store,but it is not Hain. I forgot the name of it, but there are several brands that don't have silica.
  5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for responding...I would love to talk to you more about this when you have more time..

How do you know if it has silica in it??

Most food ingredients just say salt...So how would you know?

Are there any foods you can eat?? Like chips...I know they are bad anyways...but are there any you can eat?? If I eat chips, my mouth is raw and my gums can sometimes get really swollen and sore...same with popcorn. But then I don't know if it is sulfites on the chips.

I am watching for the sodium lauryl sulfate in health and beauty aids...I think I have a problem with that. And it is in everything.

Can you look at your shampoo, lotion and other things to see if this ingredient is in them.

My problem is I don't have a health store anywhere close to me.

I went out to eat tonight...I have not ate out in sooo long. Well I had pizza and now I am feel like I am in la-la land...my head feels like it is being smooshed...and my mouth is really weird feeling..But by eating the pizza I am getting all kinds of things..

I just can't figure out if I am having a problem with sulfites...yeast..silca...allergies..Or all of the above.

We get that spice company in the mail...My husband orders some things form them...I have been using Frontier..I buy the organic spices..

I am getting really frustrated trying to figure it all out. Any other advice you have for me, I'd love to hear it..

Thanks again for all of your help.

SherylD
  6. Prunella

Prunella New Member

The Avalon shampoo says "No sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate" right on the bottle. The Burt's Bees lotion doesn't have it either and neither does the Peelu.

There is no way to tell if salted foods have silica in them. I just assume they do and try not to eat too much of that. Hard to do and it seems I can tolerate some, but not a lot of silica. No silica would be ideal,but that is hard to do. I sometimes wonder if the people who go on the raw food diets and such feel better simply because they are avoiding all the additives and preservatives in processed food. I have been avoiding additives and preservatives for years and it has really helped. Who knows what was in the pizza you ate, not to mention MSG which makes me really sick. Some restaraunts are better than others. Pizza Hut and Appleby's use MSG in their products. There are unsalted potato chips you can buy. They taste better than I thought they would. I eat them once in a while.

I could not find Chile powder without silica,even organic, so that is why I went to Penzeys.

I have never noticed a problem with silica in shampoo or hand cream, but I am avoiding it anyway since I have such a big problem with it orally. I was just thinking that about 2 weeks ago I had my hair highlighted and my beautician made a mistake and made some strange streaks in it so I went back and had it redone. I also asked her to make it darker since I am a brunette and it has started to look blonde lately. The stuff she used was kind of glopped all over my scalp unlike the other stuff she used to use. I have not felt well with the mouth sores and all since after that and now I am wondering if that product could have triggered it. I highlight my hair to make it look thicker and prettier. This new color is the best I have ever had. I go natural and organic as much as possible. Highlighting my hair is the one "bad " thing I do. I would really miss it if I had to give it up. I am going to ask her if I can see the ingredients in the products.

I just went and got the unsalted chip bag. It is Michael Season's Unsalted Potato Chips, Reduced Fat, No Trans Fats, All Natural. www.seasonsnacks.com
  7. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks so much for all your input...I know pizza is the worst things I could eat...It has everything we shouldn't have in it...but I love it and have to have it every once in a while...

Thanks for looking at your ingredients...I do buy the kids toothpaste from burts bees...I think I will look more into their products and try them...I have never heard of the other stuff you mentioned..The Aubrey Organics don't have all the stuff in it, but I'm not sure I like it. Plus it is really expensive. My grocery store I go to carries Burts Bees but it is always sold out..

I'm sure you had a reaction to the chemicals in the hair products since it touched you skin more...I am a hair stylist, I don't do it much anymore cause of all of this. But When I do highlights it doesn't touch the scalp as much. So maybe that is why you don't react as bad as you did this time..

You'd think you would react where it touched you instead of in your mouth...weird...But I am not supprised at all. I have so many strange reactions to things..

Now today after having that pizza last night I am been so out of it today...I had to take my son to the allergist and I was a little concerned driving. We made it ok though..It is all just kinda a blur now.

So how did you figure out you had this problem?? Did you have any test done? Or did you just figure it out on your own??

Thanks again for all you help!

8. SherylD

SherylD Guest

9. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I found out about the silica,because when I tried to whiten my teeth I had the worst reaction ever. I tried it several times and each time had a bad reaction. I also get a bad reaction when I get my teeth cleaned. The only common link the dentist could find was silica (micah).Avoiding silica for over a year now has helped tremendously. I also did some research and found that silica has been linked to Crohn's.

Hope you feel better soon. I remember having to drive my kids like that a lot. Thank God we got thru it OK. I tell my husband that driving like that is worse than driving drunk.

There is a new thread here on mouth sores. Looks intersting![This Message was Edited on 10/10/2006]
  10. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I found those chips you mentioned..

I can eat them with no problems...They don't even bother my stomach.

I ate at my MIl tonight and everything was sooo salty. I couldn't hardly take it. She cooks with so much salt. When you are use to not eating that and then you do...it is strong. Wow...

Then funny thing is...I don't feel to bad. My stomach bloated and I could tell my muscles are way more tense. Plus my tongue is funny feeling...kinda raw. I'm sure I will be so swollen tomorrow. I will probably pay more tomorrow.

What kinds of reactions do you get from it?? Does it just effect your mouth?? Or do you react all over?? Does your pain increase??

11. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I'm glad you found the chips! Just be careful in case you react to oxalates like me. Potatoes are kind of high in oxalates. I eat them, but I don't go overboard. I also try to eat something with calcium at the same time.

My symptoms beyond the horrible gum pain are body-wide. Fatigue, malaise,pain, sweating, mental fog, etc.

The gum pain doesn't come immediately when I eat something high in silica. It comes hours or a day or so later. I also think it is cumulative. I can eat some foods with silica, but then after a certain point my body can't take it anymore.

I think I get the gum pain and malaise from oxalates, too. I just had a major episode of gum pain and all and I think it is related to the Vit. C a new holistic doctor I went to insisted that I take. It was very pure with no silica,etc, in it. I have not had such an episode since at least 6 mos ago when I started avoiding silica. Vit C is a precurser to oxalate formation or something like that. I posted about this on the vit.C thread recently.

I hope this isn't too confusing, but since we seem to have similar symptoms I thought this might help. It took me a long time to figure this all out.

I hope you are feeling better. I am much better now!
  12. SherylD

SherylD Guest

What are oxalates?? I do seem to have a problem with potatoes...just not as bad as other things..I just thought my body had a hard tome digesting them. I get a little bloated and tired from them.

I can't take vit c. I almost feel drunk when I take it. Real loopy. Not sure if it does anything to my mouth cuz I haven't taken it for so long. One time I took Ester C (not sure if it's the same as vit. C) and about an hour later I felt so drunk and then got a migraine and ended up throwing up. It was horrible. I was out of it for a while after that.

Do you have a problem with different nuts and seeds??

What other things can you munch on??

Sorry for asking you so many questions...I hope you are not sick of me..:)

Thanks for all your help!

SherylD
  13. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Yes, I have a problem with nuts and seeds and guess what...they are high in oxalates! Other high foods are soy, chocolate, spinach, sesame seeds (very high), whole wheat, rhubarb, and more. I have posted on this before. You can look up some of my old posts. There is a website www.ohf.org that has a list of the oxalate content of foods. The Vulvar Pain Foundation has a new cookbook that is excellent and very up to date. They don't post the list on their website. I wish they would. I don't remember their webstite, but you can do a Google search to find it. You don't have to have vulvar pain or kidney problems to have this. FM is related to it too.

I love to snack, and it is hard to find good snacks. Dates, raisins, Jennies Coconut Macaroons all in moderation since they are sweet. Organic cheese, left-over cooked food, a hard boiled egg, organic extra-virgin olive oil on good white bread ( a little chopped garlic is good on that). Since I started taking a new probiotic called VSL-3, I have been able to tolerate wheat again. Popcorn salted with my own salt, although the fiber is a problem for me sometimes. Fresh sliced apples in moderation. Bananas. And I do eat a little chocolate. Can't give that up! Lactose free oganic milk - I don't like milk, but it seems to help. Also, Breyer's lactose-free ice cream in moderation.

I don't mind your questions at all, although I don't come to this site everyday and sometimes go weeks without coming here. But I would love to keep in touch and share ideas. Do you have any good snack ideas for me?

Just wanted to add that anything that might have mold is a big problem for me. Nuts and seeds are prone to mold. So is over ripe fruit. I try to buy locally grown as much as possible so things are fresher, but of course that is hard to do in the winter around here! My dream would be to live in a warm climate where organic, locally grown foods are available year round!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/16/2006]
  14. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks so much for all the info.

I did a little reading and it does seem that some of these foods can bother me..Not sure if it's the oxalates or sulfites?? or other things..

I do know I have a real problem with salt..Remember me telling you that I ate at my MIL yesterday....Well it has caught up to me now! I am in so much pain and so swollen. It is so uncomfortable. Then I ate some reg. chips earlier to top it off. Not good.

Do certain things you eat burn your mouth, lips and tongue???

What bread do you eat??? and What is "your" salt that you use???

I love to bake cookies and stuff...Do you have any idea how I could make me some cookies??? What flour, salt etc. should I use?? Any ideas?? If I eat one of my homemade cookies, my tongue is raw feeling and I feel wierd.

I wish you would be here more often...BUt I understand. I don't come here everyday either.

I don't have any good ideas for you...I am still trying to figure it all out myself...LOL...But if I think of something I will let you know.

WHat do you do if you get something that bothers you??? Do you just stick it out or is there something that helps easy the symptoms??

THanks again!

SherylD
  15. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I see in past post you asked about Kefir...DId you drink it for a while?? Did you have any luck with it if you did???

I just picked some up today...I posted a thread asking about it to see what people thought..

Thanks..
  16. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Sorry this took a while. I went to visit my daughter in another city.

For flour at least get unbleached,unbromated. You can usually find that in regular grocery stores. I just try to buy everything as pure as possible. I try to avoid processing and added ingredients. For salt, I found several brands of sea salt without added ingredients like silica. You can look on the internet for some of those.

I get the burning mouth,etc. from honeydew melon, walnuts and fresh pineapple. The gum pain is a bigger problem for me and it is usually a delayed reaction, which made it so hard to figure out. With the gum pain, I feel very sick all over.

I remember asking about the Kefir. I tried it and felt quite sick afterwards. That was about a year ago. Every brand of Kefir I could find (and I found several) had fillers and/or thickening agents in them. Same for most yogurts. I think inulin was one of them. I did some research at the time and found some people are allergic to inulin and other fillers. This reminds me though that I was going to check into making my own yogurt, so thanks for the reminder.
  17. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Thanks for getting back to me..THat's ok it took awhile..:)

I tried to buy things without all the extra stuff...but I still seem to react to it..I can't figure it out..But when I bake a cookie there is lots of sodium in them. I was thinking of baking some somehow without..I will have to work on that.

I seem to be doing fine with the Kefir..If fact I seem to feel better the last couple days. I don't know if it's from that or what?? How knows?

I do seem to swell from the sodium content. Anything with sodium I swell up. Even if it is naturally there, not added salt. The higher the sodium content...the more I swell. THis is causing me the most problem right now.

Then when I am swollen..I hurt worse...I have a hard time breathing..and I am really just out of it.

Thanks so much for all your help..You've been great!

SherylD
  18. SherylD

SherylD Guest

19. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Hi Sheryl,

How are you doing? I have tried something new. I bought a yogurt maker and made my own yogurt. I didn't think I would like plain yogurt,but it is delicious and no fillers! I used organic milk and an organic yogurt for starter (2 Tbs.) I eat it whenever I feel hungry for a snack. I also bought an ice cream maker to make my own ice cream for a treat.

I had a very bad virus (flu maybe?) for the last 3 weeks. My husband who hardly ever gets sick had it for 2 weeks. (He had it first.) My neighbor had it, too and said it takes 3-4 weeks to get over it. I am so happy to be feeling better now. I had been letting my guard down and been eating too much sugar. Maybe the ice cream maker wasn't such a good idea! It's still in the box! I have found that I can eat some sugar, I just can't over do it, so I will share any ice cream I make!
  20. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am so glad to hear from you!!

I am not so glad that you had a nasty flu! Happy to hear you are feeling better though!

I was loosing hope of you ever coming back! I kept checking to see if you have been here...Then I kinda gave up for a little while...Tonight I just took a chance and checked and you had been here.. I know you said you would be gone often...:)

I would love to make my own yogurt and ice cream...THey both sound great..But I swell quite a bit from dairy. I don't know if it would be a good idea for me.

I have not been doing good at all! I keep swelling up. I think I am about 8lbs over what I usually weigh. Which probably don't sound like much. But when I usually only weigh 130...it sure feels like alot. It is sooo uncomfortable.

I am reacting to just about everything I eat, in some way or another. I do think the oxalate thing is a problem for me..plus sugar...plus salt...I feel like I can't eat anything!

I just had a really bad bladder infection. I had to take a week of antibiotics. It has been horrible ever since! I have been taking a probiotic and watching what I eat for a year now and some of my symptoms had went away...WEll they are all back now just after one week! Now I look about 5-6 months pregnant again...

I just can't seem to get it back under control. I feel really hopeless! I think the yeast just went out of control. Did you have a yeast problem???

You had mentioned that you ordered that cookbook for the low oxalate diet....Do you use it alot??? Are the receipes good?? I was thinking about getting it.

I know there hs been more things I wanted to aske you but I can't think of them right now..I'm tired..

Thanks!
    SherylD