Psudeodementia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darvick, Oct 28, 2005.

1. darvick

darvick New Member

This is what my doctor has put on my diagnosis along with the fibro,CFS, depression,osteoarthritis in spine etc. I looked it up and was once a false dementia, pre 1900's..Because it is not organic like Alzhimers. Causes are depression, among some other stuff and kinda got the impression she was labling my Fibro-Fog this, which may help with disability. Has anyone else gotten this diagnosis. Im also inlcined to be a little ruffled because I never thought of Fibro Fog as a dementia. lol
  2. zerped

zerped New Member

I got back a copy of the doctor's report when I went in 8/30/05 for a "PDE" (psychodiagnostic evaluation). The report had me really steamed for the first few days, because he seemed to be saying that there was no medical cause for my symptoms, therefore they must all be in my head.

Once I settled down and really looked at it, I could see that what he actually was saying was that: a.) I'm not making up anything, and b.) the (very real) symptoms are the result of a psychological phenomenon. Basically, that I have some deeply repressed stuff that isn't getting brought and "processed," so the stress is manifesting itself in my body's problems.

The "silver lining" in all this may be that this guy is a psych. and not an M.D., but he says that you either treat this guy's symptoms for the rest of his life or you do a TON of therapy to get the "root cause" taken care of (which has only a slight chance of working to the point that my body doesn't keep showing new symptoms each time the old ones go).

So in addition to my CFIDS and its symptoms, I have:

Undifferentiated Somataform Disorder
    Schizotypal Personality Disorder
    Dependent Personality Disorder
    Nicotine Addiction
    Alcohol Addiction (in "permanent" remission)
    Dysthymic Personality Disorder
    ADD

If the above means that I'm such a psychological trainwreck that they should just write me off and give me benefits, I'm all for it! LoL

[This Message was Edited on 10/28/2005]
  3. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

SOME DRS. ARE FULL OF CRAP.

PIRT
  4. darvick

darvick New Member

I'v had fibro since 89, and have a good rumy doc. My gp is a little conservitive to say the least. But I do know about the fibro fog, It seemed to get worse this past year and weakness in legs etc,, Brain scan showed leasions few years back and this time nothing so go figure, But neuro says no alzhiemers YES! When we get tired or over-due it can be pretty bad lol but, doing something new or a project does help, and Ive been reading books in the evening also to stimulate my brain. We know this disease in NOT in our HEADS!!!!1
  5. darvick

darvick New Member

I'v had fibro since 89, and have a good rumy doc. My gp is a little conservitive to say the least. But I do know about the fibro fog, It seemed to get worse this past year and weakness in legs etc,, Brain scan showed leasions few years back and this time nothing so go figure, But neuro says no alzhiemers YES! When we get tired or over-due it can be pretty bad lol but, doing something new or a project does help, and Ive been reading books in the evening also to stimulate my brain. We know this disease in NOT in our HEADS!!!!1