psychiatric dx is too common

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by knitsnfits, Mar 27, 2007.

1. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

Why is it so common that alot of us get dx with a psychiatric illness first before we get dx with Fm or Cfs?? This is really irritating me. I got sick about 13 yrs ago and was dx with bi-polar disorder. So, I was put on alot of meds. I was in pain all the time, losing weight, couldn't sleep etc. I finally got to a rheumy and was properly dx. The problem is I am really confused if I really have bi-polar or not now. I never had mania but I did have deep depressions. When I go to a new doc he/she will look at my list of psych meds and put me off telling me it is all stress related. I had an undiagnosed leaky heart valve which causes tachycardia for years because no one took me seriously. Finally had a 2D echo which showed the problem. Also, recently got a CT scan with dye because of enlarged nodes in the groin area. Now I am told I have multiple nodules on my liver. Every six months I have to go for another scan to see if they are growing. I am 46 and have been labeled a hypochondriac by alot of my family and professionals. How can a hypochondriac manufacture a leaky heart valve and liver nodules. I am sick of being sick and tired of being labeled a nutcase.
  2. tired2007

tired2007 New Member

I hear ya! I am in the process of switching doctors as we "speak" due to this. Yes, I have been depressed in the past (due to my first marriage being abusive, etc.), but I am now happier than I have ever been, but am still told I am depressed and that I need to go back to counseling, etc. What the doctor isn't getting is that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired! That is the only thing that makes me depressed. It seems like it is easier for the doctor to tell us we have a psych. problem then it is to help us get the correct diagnosis and treatment. Hang in there. Those of us who have FM/CFS know that we are not crazy. The pain is real and hopefully someone will find the reason behind it and find treatment that works for all of us. Just know that I have been told (and every time I go to the doctor for ANYthing, my primary dx is "depression") that I have depression and I can relate to what you are experiencing. I am sure there are many others who can as well. Take care.
  3. rpatzer

rpatzer New Member

If your situation really would benefit from therapy, then don't go to a Psychiatrist. They just push pills and don't do therapy since none but the Analyists are trained to do that. Pick a good PhD (Psychologist)and he would be trained for therapy.
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I totally agree with you that psychiatric illness's are diagnosed way to frequently among US. Albeit many of us are very worried from real physical pain and symptoms which in the end, cause some of us to be anxious and depressed.

This is all some doctors can see or conclude after an examination, especially if the doctor is unfamiliar with CFS and FM.

Although it seems PCPs are equipped to handle depression and anxiety, many want to refer you to a psychiatrist. Maybe they golf together, who knows.

Maybe he feels like you need "THIS PATIENT HAS BEEN SEEN BY A PSYCHIATRIST AND MUST BE A NUT" written in your medical file. Maybe he thinks you deserve to answer yes to the following questions on a medical questionnaire 1) Have you ever been treated by a psychiatrist? 2) Have you ever been treated for mental illness? Anyone in your family? Do you know anyone...?

Well, I don't think they really ask you if you have ever been treated by a psychiatrist, but it's something similar.... It is a "monkey on your back" forever. I can't think of the term I really wanted to describe this negative connotation with...Stigma-that's it..My mind is slowly dying I think, lol.

This may not bother some, but if you are young and a prospective employer somehow gets this information, it could cost you a wonderful career opportunity.

You are a perfect example of misdiagnosis, or at the very least failure to recognize your physical symptoms.

What's funny (not) I was reading the other day on a psych site, that certain mental disorders have a high occurrence of associated serious physical disorders. One I can remember was the association of schizophrenia with heart disease. This blew my mind...

Sorry for the rambling on 2 cents. It should cost more. I feel relief. Thanks for this very interesting thread. Yes I see a psychiatrist and yes I am supposed to be Bipolar :} I like to stay a tad normal to manic, lol.

I wish you the very best with your serious medical conditions.

Kindest regards,

Andy
  5. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

Thanks guys for validating my feelings. Not that I am so needy but it is just a relief to feel heard! This is a great site for support!
  6. jole

jole Member

I was just diagnosed with bipolar----depression only. I have read up on it, and know I don't have the full BP, but perhaps the depression part. I'm not sure that I understand how it can be BP if it's only depression, but will probably not find out now. My psychiatrist left after I was diagnosed, and there is no one else for me to go to at this point. At first I was very angry, but have adjusted to the fact that it really doesn't matter that much.

Depression is depression....anyone in this pain is probably depressed, and is the treatment so very different? Even my doc doesn't understand....but doesn't seem concerned, so why should I be? I have anxiety also, and don't need another reason for that.

All I know is this DD sucks, and sometimes I wonder why we keep on trying to find answers that probably aren't there anyway. Guess I'm tired of it all......
  7. jole

jole Member

I was just diagnosed with bipolar----depression only. I have read up on it, and know I don't have the full BP, but perhaps the depression part. I'm not sure that I understand how it can be BP if it's only depression, but will probably not find out now. My psychiatrist left after I was diagnosed, and there is no one else for me to go to at this point. At first I was very angry, but have adjusted to the fact that it really doesn't matter that much.

Depression is depression....anyone in this pain is probably depressed, and is the treatment so very different? Even my doc doesn't understand....but doesn't seem concerned, so why should I be? I have anxiety also, and don't need another reason for that.

All I know is this DD sucks, and sometimes I wonder why we keep on trying to find answers that probably aren't there anyway. Guess I'm tired of it all......
  8. jakeg

jakeg New Member

You may want to go and take a psychiatric exam like I did to see if it is valid.

I proved to my doctor that his observations were completely off base when it came to this subject.

It also helped win my LTD by proving that it was not a mental condition.