psychiatrist appt at SS office update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by angeljoe, Mar 3, 2006.

1. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I had never heard of the social security office having psychiatrists and appointments there. I was upset because they gave me three days notice.

I have to say this psychiatrist was professional and pleasant. My appt was prompt and amiable. I started crying when I told him that I didn't want to live on SSDI. I told him I want to give my children a better future financially. I told him I want my old life back and I want to keep my job. (I'm on temporary disability at work) I told him that I hated my children seeing me this way.

We also talked about mumbo jumbo stuff and then he ask me a few questions such as:

1. If the forest is blocked by trees what does this mean to you? My answer~ the trees are an obstacle

2. What makes a cannon and a volcano the same? My answer ~ they both explode. The second this came out I regretted it. He now thinks I'm going postal I'm sure.

3. Where does the sun set north, south, east or west? I picked West but still unsure of that one

4. What is 100 minus 7? well ummmm 93

5. How many weeks in a year? 52

6. Days in a year? 365

He then started asking personal stuff like:

Married twice divorced once why?
    How does anxiety affect your home, children, & yourself?
    FMS has changed you and your life how?
    Do you believe in a cure for fibro or Meds? A catch 22
    Are you fibro because of depression or depressed by FMS?
    CFID symptoms?
    Nervous and anxious of what?
    Medications? What helps? What doesn't and why?
    Enjoy being at home or at the park more?

Well then it was over. He told me on my way out that he believed I do want to go back to work. He said that my telling him I get a weekly check and its more that SSDI convinced him I would rather be working. He said that he will help me in every way he can. I told him my life is spinning out of control because of my problems. I said that I would give anything to have my life back. I said this dd has robbed me of my livelihood, my passions and my future. Sorry for the long post, but I've learned my lesson about working my self up over a small step in the right direction.
    God bless,
    Angela
  2. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

when i went to the shrink they asked me the same questions just about- i didnt go to the SS office though. I was given several months noticed, than they cancelled it because of their budget (they have to follow a budget in a certain time period and maybe thats why they gave you a short notice) when a few months went by i was sent to a shrink that didnt say he would help me or not help me.

I think its a good sign he said that and your answers were all true, your emotions to...please think positive!

gavi
  3. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

Are you able to go back to work? I spent the 1st yr off crying for what I had lost. I loved my job and loved being able to help support my family. I pray that you will be able to return to work. I now know I wont unless they find a cure for the fibro.

When I went to the ss psy. She was very nice. She asked a few of the questions you mentioned. I really enjoyed talking to her. When it was over, she thanked me for being
    "real" Still havent figured that one out. I was so happy to talk to anyone besides my sweet hubby and the dog. Im still fighting for the SSD. The brief goes before the judge now and if he doesnt approve it, I have to go before the judge. That's scary for me because we look healthy. Good luck

Suzette