Psychiatrist or psychologist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, May 27, 2003.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I've made an appt to see a psychologist this Friday and have a question. Although, at this point I'm not going for disability, sometime in the future I may. I think I've read here where many of you were advised to see a psychiatrist or had to see one from SSA. Does it have to be a psychiatrist? As I understand it don't they both do about the same, except the psychiatrist prescribes meds (and I don't need any more meds)? I'm scared to death to even keep this appt, but I sure don't want to start up a relationship with this woman if she can't help me when I need her. I would really wig out if after seeing her for months SSA stepped up and said "sorry, psychologists don't count". Any advice?

Hugs
    Annette
  2. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I went through this same dilemna a few months ago. I knew I needed to get some help but I didnt know which would have been better. Social Security pretty much decided it for me, and they sent me to a psychologist for their exam. I am still seeing that psychologist, but my GP is precribing the meds for depression for me. I have seriously considered seeing a psychiatrist for pain, as I have heard they may be more open to treating our pain issues than a regular MD.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Unless you need meds, psychologists are usually just fine and even then, they can make suggestions to the docs about what to prescribe. One of my best therapists has a Master's degree in psychology.

Love, Mikie
  4. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Thanks for the info.

Hugs
    Annette
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

but I also see a psychiatrist to handle my "head meds." My PCP used to handle them, but he was over-medicating me and I had all sorts of side effects.

I would really prefer to see only one doc, but just haven't found a shrink I like who takes my insurance ... seems they all are into just doing meds, rather than therapy.

Jan ^v^