Psychiatrists??? Help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tracii, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. tracii

    tracii New Member

    Hey Everyone,

    I was wondering what I should look for in a psychiatrist, someone who deals with all that we go through.

    Any suggestions, advice?

    I'm in NJ - but not North Jersey if anyone has any recommendations.

    I'm trying to find a shrink & get an appt this week or early next week.

    ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Callum

    Callum New Member

    I have had great luck with a therapist who deals with cognitive behavioral therapy. As we well know, too many doctors try to tell us our illness is all in our heads, and we also know that isn't true.

    But we can learn how best to take care of ourselves both physically and mentally in a way that best promotes our recovery. I've found that cognitive behavioral therapy has given me so many tools to stay positive when I get a flare, to make sure that I'm not somehow repeating behavior that may be causing flares, and how best to protect my sanity when I'm just too weak to protect my body.

    The only other suggestion I have is to make sure that you are comfortable with whomever you choose. Trust is such a big issue. I personally am more "spiritual" than "religious", so I wanted someone who would not "push" their beliefs on me.

    However, if Church and God is where you find your strength, I am sure that there are many listings for therapists who come from that angle.

    Perhaps you would feel more comfortable with a woman doctor, especially if you have had difficulty with male doctors in the past. Or, you might feel more comfortable with a male therapist - for me, I needed the "female energy" to encourage the emotional healing I knew needed to take place for me.

    I don't know if this has been of any assistance, but I wish you well in your search.

  3. Marta608

    Marta608 Member

    Hi Traci, your subject line made me laugh.

    Definitely cognitive behavioral therapy!


  4. tracii

    tracii New Member

    Well for one, certainly cognitive therapy, I was just wondering what "sick" people like us should look for in a psychiatrist.

    Most of the "specialties" I see listed I don't even know what they mean. Ack!

    There's a whole list on this one site I'm looking at like: Clinical Neurophysiology, Neurology, RCPS-Pyschiatry, neurodevelopment disabilities, pain medicine, etc. Not to mention the other disorders listed.

    I just want to get with a good shrink that will be able help me with pretty much everything.

    Hope that helps!

    TIA! ~Tracii
  5. yellowbird

    yellowbird New Member

    if what you are looking for is therapy I wouldn't go to a psychiatrist. They are MDs and good at prescribing drugs, mostly. I would look instead for an experienced counselor/therapist/psychologist, someone you like and respect.
  6. rockgor

    rockgor Well-Known Member

    over the last 25 years. They are like vending machines. You put in money; you get a prescription.

    All the conseling and therapy I've gotten has been from pyschologists (who are not medical doctors) and social workers.

    Also had an excellent therapist who gave classes for people who grew up in alcoholic homes. She had no formal training at all.

    Therapists are like meds. Gotta be matched up w/ the patient. If you find one who is not helpful, get another one.
  7. tracii

    tracii New Member

    & would like to change or get off the meds I am on. Plus, I need to see a psychiatrist to get an actual dx for Social Security.

    Possibly I could see a shrink for the meds thing once a month & see a therapist or psychologist in the meantime.

    Gotta admit I'm pretty angry & frustrated because without notice my husband's company drastically dropped our health ins. coverage & doubled the co-pays.

    With me not working, the sales tax going up, I don't even know the words to express how I'm feeling.

    I was JUST making a dental appt last week & was told I wasn't covered for dental. Thought it was a mistake that had been made when Aetna double billed the company.

    Sorry for the rant. Anyone in Jersey who can recommend a good shrink/therapist/psychologist, etc?

    Thanks again. Sorry for the lousy mood.

[ advertisement ]