Psychologist Or Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamharp, Sep 4, 2005.

  1. dreamharp

    dreamharp New Member

    I was wondering who would be more helpful in filing for
    disability- a psychologist or a psychiatrist?

    I was thinking it might be the psychiatrist since they
    have a MD.


  2. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Either one. The only difference between them is that a psychiatrist can prescribe medicine and a psychologist can not--he recommends to your PCP what meds you should be on.

    My older brother is a psychologist (PhD) and goes to court all the time with patients for their disability claims.

    If you file for SSDI, and you take any type of anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med, the Social Security Administration will automatically send you to their psychologist (I saw their psychologist--not a psychiatrist) for evaluation.

    I was lucky, their psychologist agreed that I was depressed due to having fibro and so many other health problems and that if affected my ability to work! (This is the first time that I ever considered myself depressed! I just knew I couldn't work due to my health--I have oodles of problems--see my bio).

    But if you want to consult one prior to applying, choosing a psychiatrist will allow you to get meds from him rather than from your PCP.

[ advertisement ]