Psychology Today article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jami117, Sep 7, 2005.

1. jami117

jami117 New Member

MSN has reprinted this article which has many misrepresentations of our illness and has featured it today on their health and fitness page. I sent MSN a message asking them to remove it due to the misinformation it contains. It makes me so sad to see this kind of thing being perpetuated in the popular media. Best wishes to all in this community and to all victims of Katrina.
  2. jami117

jami117 New Member

Hi Doxy!

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm a long time reader, but I rarely post. I was disturbed by this article when it first came out, but knew there would be response letters for the readership. When I saw the article on MSN today it hit me really hard because so many people will see it and I don't see that they provide an opportunity to counter it. A

Also, if we're on this site, we have some kind of knowledge of this disease and some support system. This week-end a dear friend of my was very upset because her sister is developing symptoms that fall within our broad circle. They are doing elmination tests right now. These are the people I especially worry about when I see this article. We know the anguish of hunting for a cause and encountering the all in your head diagnosis. That should not still be happening. I hope those who corrected the print article through letters will find some way to convince MSN to do the same.

I felt your hug. Sure needed it with all that's been going on in this world!! Going back in my shell now, but keeping my eyes and ears open.

Thanks to all of you for being such strong support!!
    Jami
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

I wonder if you'll get an acknowledgement of your email. That article burns me up from the iside out ... and it will not go away! If it ever comes up, it's easy enough to refute with all the new info that's out, but still ...
    we shouldn't have to huh?!

Thanks again ... Take care,

Elsa
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I found the author's e-mail address and sent this letter to her. I hope she gets it and replies to me. I'll let you know if she does.

BxGirl

Dear Ms. Schorr,

As a long-time sufferer of Fibromyalgia, I was not very happy with your recent article in Psychology Today about Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 8 years ago and have suffered every step of the way. Since my diagnosis,I went through "instant-menopause", was diagnosed with colitis, pancreatitis, thyroid and adrenal disorder, sleep disorder, cognitive problems, plus the "usual" constant pain I suffer every day.

However, I have continued to work full-time, volunteer for two organizations, exercise 3 times a week, cook, clean, wash, iron, and travel. I am definitely not of the "learned helplessness" mentality. Your article perpetuates the problem many FMS and CFS sufferers come up against when visiting physicians - that if they just had a different mind-set they would be healed. If only it were that easy!

Fibromyalgia is a multi-layered illness. Of course your mental attitude does play a role in helping you feel better. However, it is much more complicated than that and patients struggle to find the right balance of mental and physical healing. Articles such as yours do nothing to help us as we try to cope with the myriad of mind-boggling symptoms we have to deal with on a constant basis.

I wish you would have spoken to more patients with this illness and presented your readers with a more well-rounded viewpoint.

5. elsa

elsa New Member

I can say you speak for me as well. It never occured to me to write. I'm glad you thought of it ... and what an excellent job you did composing it.

Looking forward to hearing any possible responses...

Elsa
  6. jami117

jami117 New Member

Good job writing and making your feelings known! I sent feedback to MSN asking that, at a minimum, they feature the letters sent to Psychology Today from professionals who were correcting the problems in that article. Such an erroneous, biased article shouldn't even be printed.

My favorite part is the writer setting it up so if we as patients complain, we have to be very careful so as not to seem out of control. Makes me laugh. You're not sick, but if you get upset and state how sick you are, it just proves that you're emotional and that your sickness is in your head!!!! Ho-hum, I'm getting so tired of this. But I feel we should all keep after countering this kind of misinformation.

Hugs,
    Jami
  7. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

But I do get the magazine,just did not get to it yet.
  8. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

My e-mail to Ms. Schorr came back as "undeliverable". I, too, couldn't find another e-mail, so I copied the letter to Psychology Today. The nerve of them!!!!

BxGirl

P.S. - We should flood them with letters!