PSYCHOTHERAPY /COUNSELLING ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanu, Jun 7, 2006.

1. tanu

tanu New Member

Hi,I wanted to know whether anyone has been for counselling or psychotherapy.How did you choose your therapist since there are none trained in CFS.I thought of looking for someone trained in Stress management or Post traumatic stress disorder as our illness is not like the others.Whom did you choose ?How do you know who is good?MOst importantly did it help?Can you do over the telephone counselling?Can you name a few good counsellers you have met.
  2. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i found my psych through a friend. he had been seeing him for other resons and really liked him. i tried him and i liked him too, he has been very helpful.
    rachel
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

One has to be very careful. I was a psychologist/counselor for many years and I really distrusted a lot of the people I worked with as they would laugh at their patients and treat them as a joke. They would make comments like, "Well if she would lose weight, or get a life, and other value judgements." Some of them were men haters or women haters. A lot had mixed up lives. Then there were a few who were wonderful, would always care and go the extra mile or two to help. They would laugh at me for actually caring about my clients.

I would definately only chose according to referrals from people I trusted and knew well. Also, they need to be aware of CFS and FM as otherwise, they will be just pushing their own views. The best counselor I ever had was a naturopathic doctor in Newport Oregon. She was wonderful, and not actually a therapist, but was a natural! Sopmetimes just a really good listener and wise person can help just as well, sometimes better. I always have said that I was paid for being a good friend, as this is what I felt I was.

Love Anne Cromwell
  4. stagename

stagename New Member

she prescribes all my meds, including for pain and sleep. I suffer from chronic depression (before or after CFS?? who knows). Apparently, she has many patients with FM/CFS and understands the issues involved with it. When prescribing stuff, we discuss how it will affect my IBS, migraines, energy, sleep etc.

it's the best care i've had in 20 years.
  5. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Tanu! I'm pretty new here but have had FMS, CFS and Panic Disorder for almost 8 years. So, I would definetly have to suggest some type of counseling esp. if you are dealing with multiple disorders.

I have been seeing the same psychiatrist for about 6 years and he knows a lot about most types of chronic pain and or illnesses. You would be surprised to see how many people go to see a psych dr. cause if you find the right one it can really help with the stress and anxiety that we all deal with on a daily basis. They can also prescribe meds if you need something like antidepressants, antianxiety meds or something else!

I just recently started seeing a counselor too who specializes in chronic pain and even has a support group for FMS and CFS. I have seen her twice and she is really wonderful and really understands a lot. I am going to my first support group mtg. next Thursday and can't wait!!Believe it or not I found her by looking up support groups in my area from this website!
    Good luck and let us know if you find someone!
    Hugs, Julie (Earthdog)
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

the years from just therapists to Psychiatrists, for a variety of issues. It helped as far as just talking to someone but nothing deep or lasting came of any of them.

The last one I saw I saw for the problems associated with living with a chronic illness and a marriage partner. He told me that if I just got rid of my medications all would be ok.

I told him I had the problems before the medications as well as the severe pain. Being rid of the worst of the pain has improved my outlook on things but the original problems remain. He could NOT understand that the medication was necessary and has helped me personally, just hasn't helped the other issues and wouldn't be expected to.

So rather than pay for sessions talking about medication instead of issues I gave him up. He said that I am "stuck" in my situation due to my
    illness and that I needed to find ways to cope with the problems. I don't think anyone is "stuck" in anything unless they choose to be. I DO believe there are coping methods that "help", if they didn't I wouldn't be in the situation at all.

I also have problems with them as I've never met one that didn't have a LOT of their own issues. My cousin became a Psychiatrist and counsels for a state for drug and alcohol abuse. At least he knows what he's talking about, but I'm not sure he should be counseling anyone about it.
    LOL!
  7. painandagony

painandagony New Member

I have a friend who is a therapist so she was able to recommend someone to me. He is very, very good. He didn't know anything about cfs when I started with him 5 or 6 years ago, but all of his knowledge and expertise has been applied to my issues and he has helped a lot.

Look for someone who has great credentials, maybe has done lectures, seminars, etc.

If you don't like the person, don't go back. Find another one.
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I have been seeing my counselor for almost a year now.. She is wonderful and has some of the same things I have. I started with her because of panic attacks and depression along with my MD doctor. Find someone who has been there, it really helps.

She is the one that suggested I could have CFS- and had it for awhile what a lady!!!

If you do not feel comfortable with someone, there are many out there.
  9. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I have read some of your other posts. You claim to be a M.D. so I would think that you would be able to find a psychologist/psychiatrist to help you deal emotionally with this illness.
  10. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

I have a great therapist right now. He is very fimilar with fibro as his aunt has it and he has counceled my fibro patients. He has dx'ed me with sever depression and PTSD. I have set up a appointment with a physic for next week and it was one that my therapist recommended. He only recommened the ones that he thought would work well with me. Seems for all the anti depressents I take I'm still not real happy. Hoping the physic can help with that and maybe even change some of my drugs since he also works with fibro and chronic fatigue. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I'm not sure where you live so really can't help as far as recomendations but you can go to the list of doctors that are recommended by this site. That is how I found my regurlar doctor. Good luck....SueF
  11. kriket

kriket New Member

I am supposed to start cognitive behavior therapy next week. I have social anxiety really bad. I think they deal with post traumatic stress disorder too. I called my doctor and had him recommend a therapist, so this is how I chose mine.

Kriket
  12. PVLady

PVLady New Member

When I decided to go into therapy, I read you should see three therapists and continue with one you like best.

I am really glad I did that - for me the second doctor was the best. She really likes me and has helped me alot. I see her twice a week.

(The first one I saw, when I left I felt she needed more help than me).

Also, I would see a therapist with a PHD. On the internet, you can go to "psychology today" and they have search for therapists in your area.

Also, just run a search for therapists and your city. If you don't like the first one, go on to another.

It can be wonderful when you have the right doctor.

Yes, there are therapists who specialize in patients with fibro/CFS so you can ask around when you are calling.

As respects to phone counseling, most doctors want to see you. Maybe after some appointments, they will agree to have phone meetings.

You just need to make calls and start asking.