Psyhcological Exam...I thought I was depressed before!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Nov 11, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

My SSD Exam was awful. The Doc was horrified. I was in a deep depression (also PMSing) & had a bad case of fibro fog. You would think that helped. I don't think it did & I am so afraid I blew it.
    I told him how my mother was an alcohaulic & beat us and a few other terrible childhood things. I couldn't think straight and just let everything come out. Then he asked me stupid questions like name 3 presidents...what waws capitol of Italy...& my mind went blank!! I couldn't think!
    But then he asked me what I did during the day & I told him I was happy if I could do just one thing...and he got a change of attitude! Very sarcastic.."so you don't even cook dinner?" You just sit all day? I tried to explain that I meant I try to do the normal daily things like cooking, dishes, and try to do one major thing like vacuum or dust. But he kept chaning the subject.
    He kept going back to my childhood abuse and harping on it.
    He kept shaking his head saying I can't believe your not in therapy!
    He also kept asking "so you don't make any money?" Who pays for your doctor visits, medication? I have been married 23 years!!
    He made me feel worthless..I was even more depressed after I left. I aksed him for advice & he said I needed counciling & to get off the meds I'm on.
    At thae last moment he asked if there wa s anything else he needed to know about my disability. I was such a wreck and so tired I just said no. I could not get out of the big fluffy low chair & he wouldn't even help me! I had to struggle and hobble out of the office.
    I can tell he thinks this is all caused by depression & not fibro of CF. He said the meds were causing all my CF!
    Now what do I do?? Anybody eles go thru this?
    Scared
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

My SSD Exam was awful. The Doc was horrified. I was in a deep depression (also PMSing) & had a bad case of fibro fog. You would think that helped. I don't think it did & I am so afraid I blew it.
    I told him how my mother was an alcohaulic & beat us and a few other terrible childhood things. I couldn't think straight and just let everything come out. Then he asked me stupid questions like name 3 presidents...what waws capitol of Italy...& my mind went blank!! I couldn't think!
    But then he asked me what I did during the day & I told him I was happy if I could do just one thing...and he got a change of attitude! Very sarcastic.."so you don't even cook dinner?" You just sit all day? I tried to explain that I meant I try to do the normal daily things like cooking, dishes, and try to do one major thing like vacuum or dust. But he kept chaning the subject.
    He kept going back to my childhood abuse and harping on it.
    He kept shaking his head saying I can't believe your not in therapy!
    He also kept asking "so you don't make any money?" Who pays for your doctor visits, medication? I have been married 23 years!!
    He made me feel worthless..I was even more depressed after I left. I aksed him for advice & he said I needed counciling & to get off the meds I'm on.
    At thae last moment he asked if there wa s anything else he needed to know about my disability. I was such a wreck and so tired I just said no. I could not get out of the big fluffy low chair & he wouldn't even help me! I had to struggle and hobble out of the office.
    I can tell he thinks this is all caused by depression & not fibro of CF. He said the meds were causing all my CF!
    Now what do I do?? Anybody eles go thru this?
    Scared
    Achy
  3. Cheechee

Cheechee New Member

I also was upset with the doc. they sent me too. She seemed to asked more questions about my other physical problems they she did about being depressed. SO.. I went and saw a new Doc on my own. He seemed to think I suffered from depression and a form of Post Tramatic Stress Sydrome also related to on going abuse as a child. He said that can lead to chronic pain syndrome later on in life. Every doc. I go to has a differant idea of what is causing my pain. I just listen and wait and hope they finally agree on something but at least they are trying. They are setting me up to go to Mayo Clinic but the wait is over a year or two long.

But any way, if your shrink also thinks you are severely depressed that might even help your case not hurt it. Many times they use more then one diagnosis to make the descion on your case. Also you can go get a second opinion and tell your new doc your medical history. Talk to your Lawyer and see if he or she know a good doc that your can explain things to.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2002]
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

mine went so awful i left early!i came home and called ss and complained about my treatment, i just last week read her report it was awful! she said i just wasnt rying and said i said things i didnt say,during the intveiw i was pregant this woman acyually told me it was bad that i was having anthor child and then when i asked to use the bathroom she said not right now! of coruse i got up and wen t there actuall dr was much worse !i planned on making a post about his report iy was BAD!
  5. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

Achy These dr are paid to anoy you and chase you off they try and weed the person with disabilities from those that fake disability.My husband had to get disability 2 years ago they sent him to a phy at ss (he was never depressed)and they naided him with major depression. and he got his disability and this ended the long line of drs Please relax LindaGa PS I heard one time a phy had to have a breakdown himself to be a phy Lol dont know if this was a tale or what