Pub Quiz

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Jan 17, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Who's up for a fun quiz?Came across a pub quiz website today & picked out 12 Questions for all my SUPER-KNOWLEDGABLE friends.I've posted the answers at the end so no peeking please.
    Let me know how you scored,a Pint of the Finest Scottish Ale is up for grabs for the winner,lol.

1-Which peak overlooks the city of Cape Town?
    2-What is the U.S. equivalent of the British music hall entertainment called? You should get this one Rock.
    3-What organs does Silicosis affect?
    4-Which is the highest mountain in England?
    5-Which singer had a Number 1 hit in 1960 with Three Steps to Heaven?
    6-What does the acronym SCUBA stand for?
    7-Which of the following is the smallest paper size; A3, A4, or A5?
    8- By what name was the Scottish outlaw Robert McGregor better known? HAHA,had to get a Scottish one in.
    9-In the New Testament who was beheaded by Herod at the request of Salome?
    10-In the nursery rhyme how many blackbirds were baked in a pie?
    11-Whose first Top Ten hit record was 5,4,3,2,1?
    12-Who was Vice President when Ronald Reagan was President?

hope you enjoyed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the answers below.

1- Table Mountain.
    2- Vaudeville.
    3- The Lungs.
    4- Scafell Pike. (Pronounced Scar-Fell).
    5- Eddie Cochran.
    6- Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.
    7- A5.
    8- Rob Roy.
    9- John the Baptist.
    11-Manfred Mann.
    12-George Bush.

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I only got one right and that was the nursery rhyme about blackbirds. Now what does that tell you?
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Is one to take this test before or after consuming several pints of ale?

I got 7 or 8 right. You sure about Scafell? I was reading about Ben Nevis last month. It was said to be the highest mt. in the UK.

James Burke talked about Ben Nevis on his TV program "Connections". Developments at the weather station there contributed to the development of the atomic bomb.

Richard Strauss wrote an opera about Salome. Sometimes the soprano carries the head around on a platter. In modern productions she sometimes sings in the altogether.
    Opera companies encourage this trend as it reduces the cost of costumes.

"When the pie was opened,
    The birds began to sing.
    Wasn't that a pretty dish
    To set before the king?"

Reality check: blackbirds don't sing.

4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Elliespad,I wouldn't worry so much,I only got 4 right.But as pub quizzes are a team game I'm sure if we combine yours,Rocks & mine we would probably have them all correct.I mean't to say EP,check my profile & you'll see the Hogwarts Express going over the Glenfinnan Viaduct being filmed for Harry Potter.

Hey rock,Ben Nevis is the highest peak in the UK but it's in Scotland,so the Scafell Pike is still correct i'm afraid to say.Does that mean we have to dock you a point,lol.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  5. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Got 'em wrong... even when looking at the answers.
    Think I would have whizzed right thru it if I had been drinking.

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I got five correct. I didn't know the pop culture answers.

Isn't Scafell in the Lake District?

Here's a question: what is the highest peak in Ireland?
  7. paulmack

paulmack New Member

According to Wikipedia Scafell Pike:
    At 978 metres (3,210 feet), Scafell Pike is the highest mountain in England. It is located in the Lake District National Park in Cumbria.

As for Ireland the only ones I know of are The McGillcuddy Reeks nr Killarney which I've visited,or The Mountains of Mourne.Not too sure which peak is the highest though,will check it out.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ben Nevis is in Scotland. Isn't Scotland still part of the UK? I remember reading several years ago Scotland had a Parliment again. Does that mean Scozia is now a totally separate country?

The only Irish Mountians I know about are the Mountians of Mourne that sweep down to the sea. Great song by Percy Frency who also wrote Phil, the Fluter's Ball.

Speaking of Irish music I got a CD last week of the Three Irish Tenors. Guess I'd better listen to it.

(The Three Irish Tenors are like the Three Stooges. Actually more than 3 of them.)

Oh yes, the magic machine says Ireland's highest mt. is
    Carrantuohill. (It's a pretty low mountain.)
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Colloquially in Scotland Three Tenners equates to £30,lol.

Carrantoohill at 1039m(central peak of the McGillycuddy Reeks range) is the highest peak in the Republic of Ireland(Eire).
    In Northern Ireland(the British part) the highest peak is Slieve Donard(part of the Mourne Mountain range) at 849m.

As for the politics of the UK now that's another question.
    The UK is made up of 4 separate countries;Scotland,Wales,Northern Ireland & of course our great friends or should I say fiends,lol,from England.
    Scotland & Wales have our own Parliaments,Northern Ireland has got part of it's own Parliament,the politicians there keep falling out with each other & then London takes the responsibility back,but they're hopeful of getting it up & running again this year.
    But overall London makes the major decisions on overall UK government policy.
  10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I forgot to say in my prvious post something which just occured to me about Scotland & England which I read in the papers the other day.
    Acts of Union 1707-according to Wikipedia:

The Acts of Union were a pair of Acts of Parliament passed in 1706 and 1707 (taking effect on 1 May 1707) by, respectively, the Parliament of England and the Parliament of Scotland. The acts were the implementation of the Treaty of Union negotiated between the two kingdoms. The Acts created a new state, the Kingdom of Great Britain, by merging the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland together. The two countries had shared a monarch since 1603, but had retained sovereign parliaments. The Acts of Union dissolved both Parliaments and replaced them with a new Parliament of Great Britain, based at Westminster, the former home of the English Parliament.

We celebrate 300 years of Union with England this year 2007.How coincidental was that for a link,hehe.