????? PULP from juicing, what do YOU do with it ?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IntuneJune, Apr 26, 2006.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Steviegal posted she gives some to her Golden Retriever in her food every day.

I was going to ask about composting and if anyone had an easy way to start. NEXT year my husband and I are going to start a veggie garden. We both work and we are too tired this year. It would be benefial to prepare the soil this year, organically.

Am asking for suggestions for composting or other ideas on what to do with the pulp with all its good nutrients.

June

[This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I also scoop it out and give to my dogs. I mix it with their dry food, add 1 can of canned food and top it all with a mixture of Sea Meal and water. (Vitamins, Minerals, Amino Acids, Enzymes, Seaweed, all from the Sea).

But, I would like to pot a few large pots of veggies that I can transport with me to our summer place at the beach and would be interested to learn about composting for this. So, if anyone knows, please, inquiring minds want to know.
  3. starmom

starmom New Member

there are lots of composters online. I had one a few years ago, now planning to make another like it. I made the first one.

Take a garbage can with a lid. Cut a circle out of the bottom, leaving maybe 4" on each side. Then drill holes about 4" apart all the way up the sides. In columns, maybe 6 or 8 columns of holes. Power saw and drill make this easy. So do hubbys who are hand, LOL!!

Have someone dig a hole about 1-2 feet deep that the garbage can will sit in. Make sure there are holes in the sides of the can that are underground. Stick the can in the hole you are done.

I started the bottom of mine with grass clippings, and with loose dirt. A google search will show possible mixtures of things in your compost. Meat is a bad thing.

I just added kitchen scraps (non-meat, non-fatty) and layered them with grass and dirt.

The hole in the bottom and the drill holes ont he side let the bugs in. This helps the compost. Stir the compost every few weeks. At one point I just had an old broomstick handle in the can so I could stir it and not use a shovel. The lid will keep the smell down.

you can get worms by the pound to help your compost. Keeping worms in the compost will make the compost richer. All sorts of bugs will get in by themselves, but adding worms is a great help. A lady near me sells red wiggler worms, but you can get them at a bait shop too.

Susie
  4. starmom

starmom New Member

Is the point of juicing to avoid the fiber in the pulp? IF it is not, then maybe you could add the fiber to your bread machine? I use the end of the box of mini-wheats in my bread maker, makes wonderful high fiber bread.

Just a thought.

Susie
  5. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

There is a lot of stuff you can do with juice pulp!

Although I am taking a break from juicing because I literally don't have the time to do it I will give you some ideas of what I do with it.

I do not give it to my dogs! I don't know if I am right or not but dogs aren't people. They should not eat people food and to me this includes fruits and veggies. What seems healthy for us can be very harmful to them.

I do use it in my compost. When I was juicing regularly which would turn out to be a few times a day I would just have a big tupperware bowl with a lid on my counter. This is my "trash" bowl but I would only put fruit and veggies in it and anything else that could be composted. (tea and coffee grounds, egg shells...)

Now if you like carrot cake, when you use a recipe with carrots juice the carrots first then put that pulp in a baggie and use it later to put in a carrot cake mix. Real bits of carrot make all the difference!

Pulp from apples can make a good applesauce!

Tomatoes and peppers or ingredients like that are good for making a great fresh salsa!

Okay well I gotta get going. This isn't all my ideas but this is all I have time for so maybe I can get back later.

Oh and one more thing. When you dump your compost at night turn it every other day unless you are going to be using it soon. What I mean by turning is take a shovel or pitchfork and turn the bottom up over the top mixing it all together.

Bye!

kate
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I like to add it to my juice. Alot of the fiber and nutrients are in the pulp, so I just take a few spoonfuls and stir it in my juice.

It's really quite good!

skierchik
  7. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

SUSIE: thank you for your compost tips, did you use a plastic or metal can?

I cannot eat breads, cakes, goodies because of a wheat allergy. I have, in the past, baked with rice flour etc, but gave up as none of the breads or treats were that good.

Pulp is fiber, and of course good, but juicing was recommended to me because I frequently say after eating a meal, I do not feel nourished.... so with juicing, the nutrients are getting into my system right away.

But it really bothers me to throw all that pulp away!

KATE: Thanks for the tips! I took a look in your profile, what a wonderful picture.....

June
    [This Message was Edited on 04/26/2006]
  8. starmom

starmom New Member

I used a plastic round garbage can. I had one that we were not using. A breaking one is not the best idea, because the stirring puts stress on the can.

Susie