PULSE IS YOURS HIGH?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have noticed I can hear my pulse all the time,of late, it also is running higher-maybe I am anxious because I hear it and it speeds up? My pulse always used to be low like my BP but of late both have crept up. The pulse is not terribly high, but about 85, when normally it used to be 60.

Also, I DID take the Amitryptiline last night. I only took 5mg on the advice of the pharm who said those on Prilosec get higher blood concentrations. That 5mg knocked me out for 10 hours. I woke up feeling very nervous and jumpy and have this terribly anxious feeling now. This made me mention the heartbeat being so obvious, although it got like this prior to taking this med, seems worsened though.

I recall someone sayaing Elavil(AQMTRyp) made them get palpitations.

Any fellow pulse hearers?

Love Anne C
  2. chickabee

chickabee New Member

I have noticed that I can sometimes hear my pulse, but not all the time. Isn't the pulse rate the same as your resting heart rate? Seems like someone told me that. I just took mine and it is 104. It's been down to 60 and as high as 120. Don't know what normal is supposed to be. Pulse rate seemed to be higher after I was diagnosed with this DD.

I had a colonoscopy done in Dec. and the nurse asked me if my heart rate was always high, I asked.."how high is it" and she walked out of the room. Nothing said, or nothing done...so must be it was either ok,...or they jsut didn't care???

I am also on Elavil, have been for a number of years, and have never had any problems with it. I am on 25 mg.
  3. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I've had a problem with a high pulse rate,
    about 108 when i'm only laying down.
    i suspect it's related to the cymbalta i'm on though,
    and i get heart palpitations too.

i don't think 85 is too dangerous,
    but if you're worried about it talk to your doctor.
    there are certain meds they can try to lower your pulse down to normal range, though i don't know how high it has to be in the first place to do that.
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Before CFS/FM mine was 60 based on previous medical records, then as I got sick it is always 100. I think it is the dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system being screwed up ...Now I have POTS and w/o beta blocker my heart rate went as high as 195bpm...scarey.
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Anne:

I take Elavil and have no heart palpitations. Maybe it is just me, but I have no side effects from that medication.
    However, I do take two blood pressure meds. Could be the reason for no racing heart.

N.F.
  6. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Hi Anne,

I would certainly run your concerns by your physician. I am on Elavil and have been for years with only sleepiness at nighttime as a side effect now. (used to be in the beginning, it made me very hungry especially for sweets).

We all act differently to different meds so I would definitely run this by the doc.

best wishes to you. Foxglove
  7. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Yep,
    Mine runs 120 per min. My blood presure is also high. Not until I got high blood pressure did my heart beat go up. all this about 3 months ago.. I am on Toprol XL 50 mgs and now its a little better about 97...
    Talk to your doc about it next visit... Also yours kinda sounds like anxiety. Do you have a tingly feeling in your fingers, or trembling? Could be anxiety... Just a thought.

Melinda
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Yes I am anxious. I have had anxiety a lot lately. This could be it. Think it was since I got that odd heart result, it worried me and I got on a roll, even though I know it is nothing too bad right now and the pulse is not connected in any way to it.

I am far too hypervigilant re my body I think.

Love Anne C
  9. Peacelearning

Peacelearning New Member

In the last year my resting HR has gone from 70 to 100 - 110. My doctor said, "What is driving your HR?" (She thinks outloud). I am not on meds to increase, rather the opposite as I take pain meds... Now, I did learn that there is a high percetage of FMS patients who have a heart murmur or mitral valve regurgitation... I did learn that in some cases this can become a problem over time. And infact cause more fatigue as the heart has to work harder to get blood to the body.

I took that Elavil, and I got mean within a few days. Not worth it. I'd rather be nice and huring than mean with less pain. I tried another thing... can't remember (a low dose of antidepres. drug) but that boosted my BP to 170/110.

I learned that there is a new drug out last July -- made from pig liver. I guess it is getting good results for folks with FMS.

OINK, OINK
    me
  10. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

My bp is always fine, but my resting pulse rate runs in the 90s

Linda
  11. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I went to an accupuncturist once that said that active viruses make our pulses race too..so that could be part of the problem also since most of us have active viruses such as CMV, HHV6 and EBV...?
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

My pulse is known to be high alot.
    Seems like whenever I'm really flaring and hurting alot, my pulse goes up. My resting is 100.
    My BP has been borderline high at the same times.

My doc. said it could be simply from pain.
    ?? I don't know,...but I don't doubt it.

Have a nice weekend~
    Tandy
  13. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

During this flare I have been having problems with my heart rate, I have had this in the past but was very overweight at the time and on lots of meds so it was put down to that.

My resting hr is over 100bpm and when standing it goes up to around 140.

When I saw rheum this week he did this BP test, he took it laying down, sitting then standing and he has confirmed that the virus I have has affected my cardiac ability and that I need to go on beta blockers...also my cholestrol has gone up too...always been low.
  14. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

Mine is always high it stays between 130-150 on an non-stressful day. One time I was at the hospital and they gave me a shot b/c I was sick well my pulse was 210. They almost lost me. My sister in-law came in to see me after they had put me in a room at the hospital and we got to laughing, I can't remember what we were laughing about but the stupid nurse came in and told me that if I didn't stop laughing that I would die. Of course my pulse got higher b/c I was scared then. But if I sat up in the bed or got up to use the restroom my pulse would shoot even higher. So they cathderized me and made me lie flat of my back, fun when you are trying to eat.

Pamela
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I wanted to say I saw a prog. on the tv about a woman with very high pulse who was pregnant. The way the lowered the pulse and saved her life was to have her lie flat on her back lift just her head up and bear down.

It made the pulse drop. It was called some special name. Not just for prenant women though.

Thanks all for your replies, not quite so concerned now. Plus we bought an auto BP monitor that does pulse also for home use, so we don't get white coat scaries.

Love Anne C
  16. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

my heart rate and blood pressure seem to be elevated after eating, especially after eating certain sugary things.

a typical day with me would have my RHR/BP at 115/72 pulse of 75, then after eating it goes up to 97, blood pressure may or may not elevate. then about every 30 minutes the pulse will start to go down and will normalize ~3 hours after I've eaten.

17. lease79

lease79 New Member

My blood pressure is reasonably low, but my pulse is usually high.
    My pulse sits around 80 resting, but get me up & it will jump up to 120