Pulse rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lynn3811, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lynn3811

lynn3811 New Member

I went to the rheumy last week, and the nurse took my temp and blood pressure. Both were pretty great. But, she took me pulse rate, and it was 140. Is this really high? I had just walked from the hosp parking lot, thru the VA hosp itself. Long walk. Didn't even have a chance to sit down and then I was called in.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance...

2. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

anyway but that's a good idea...to check it several times during the day and get a good average reading to see what your normal is.
  3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I had problems with a high pulse rate for a long time. Yes 140 is considered to be very high. One possible culprit is the thyroid. You need to get your thyroid checked out immediately.

I was folding clothes a few months ago and felt very weak and short of breath. I took my pulse, and it was 158. I went to the emergency room, and they triaged me. After I rested a long time, my pulse went down to 130--that was my resting pulse rate. The doc. said that was still too high, and he almost hospitalized me. They did blood tests and found me to have hyperthyroidism. They also put me on a beta blocker.

Long story--since then, I've had my thyroid removed. However, I still have a high pulse rate, but nowhere near as high. I tried to go off the beta blockers, and my pulse immediately went up. So I'm staying on the beta blockers.

You really need to go to the doctor, or to another doctor, immediately. If your pulse is still 140 or 150, you need to go to the emergency room. Anything over 100 is considered tachycardia. One of my docs said that a resting pulse of anything over 100 is a cause for concern.
  4. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

and saw that you had been walking. So the pulse rate could have been the result of exercise. Still, I would check it every day for awhile.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

How about meds that you are on??

I was taking Effexor XR and kept complaing of high heart rate without any exertion

I weaned myself off of the Effexor and I think my heart rate has returned to normal

Darn meds