Pulsing AV, ABx, TF etc. Mikie or anyone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by connieaag, Dec 20, 2006.

1. connieaag

connieaag New Member

Mikie or anyone, can you give me an idea of the pulsing regimine you have found to be sussessful? AND how long had you been off of the drug before you started pulsing it?

Thanks Connie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Nicolson's protocol calls for 6 months on the ABX for mycoplasmas, which is what I have, and then pulsing off of them for 2 weeks and back on for 6. If one cannot stay off the whole 2 weeks without the symptoms' returning, one goes back on right away for another 6 weeks before trying to go off again. When one can stay off for longer than 2 weeks, one stays off until the symptoms return.

Eventually, one can stay off all the time. The problem with these cell-wall-deficient bacteria is that they leave cysts deep inside the body and the infection can reactivate if one gets run down, sick, stressed out, or injured. That is why I always have some Doxy on hand. BTW, Doxy must be thrown out on the expiration date. It turns toxic eventually.

I don't remember for sure how long I waited until pulsing the Famvir. If memory serves, and often it doesn't :) I waited between 6 months and a year before pulsing it. I basically just stayed off as long as there were no symptoms and went back on for about a month or so when symptoms showed up. Herpes Family viruses never go away but they will go latent in the body. They will also reactivate under certain conditions. They can reactivate in a new form, such as shingles. Not enough is knows about these viruses but researchers are looking closer at them and how they affect, or trigger, our illnesses. I was on the Famvir for 1 1/2 yrs. total before switching to the TF's.

With the TF's, it is common to take them for 3 months. After that, one usually only needs to pulse them for a couple of days every 4-6 weeks. Some here just stay on the TF's because they feel so much better. The TF's cause a mighty immune response in the beginning and I felt a lot worse before feeling better. Immunity isn't permanent with the TF's and that's why they must be pulsed.

I like the idea of taking ABX and/or AV's first and eventually switching to the TF's. Other than the immune response, I believe the TF's have fewer side effects. As I mentioned before, though, anyone with an autoimmune illness probably should not take them. I also believe that, even though the TF's are OTC meds, one's doc should be overseeing the treatment.

TF's are a good alternative for anyone who cannot take ABX and/or AV's. Other alternatives are colloidal silver and herbals like olive leaf extract. Colostrum, whey and probiotics are excellent at rebuilding the immune system. I know I've mentioned all this before but we have so many new members and there seems to be renewed interest in treating our chronic infections.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie

Oh, BTW, when I started all this, it was brand new and there were no established protocols for it yet. Dr. Nicolson was working on his which has evolved since then. It might be helpful to find out how long the folks at the FFC's are taking the treatments. I think it really ends up being a personal thing, depending on the pathogen load and the length of infection.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/21/2006]
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I like the theory of colloidal silver but my doctor said that I shouldn't expect any systemic effects from it. He's usually right when he says that something doesn't work. (When he says that something that he's experimenting with might work he's not always right, but that's a lot different.)

He and I have both arrived separately at the conclusion that colloidal silver nasal sprays help with sinus infections, though.

I wish olive leaf extract would help me, but it hasn't so far. Maybe if I could reduce my viral load to within reason, it would help knock off a high enough percentage of what's left to make a difference, though.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that there is no One Treatment which is so effective that it produces a cure or remission by itself. I have found, however, that every little thing seems to help and that they all work synergystically to produce a greater effect than that when taken by themselves. I've tried some things which do not appear to work for me or have such a negligible effect that they are not worth bothering with. Perhaps, with some of them, I didn't give them enough time.

I wish we could find one treatment which works for all of us but there doesn't seem to be any such thing. It may be because we suffer from different infections or there may be subsets of our illnesses which call for different treatments. It's pretty much trial and error at this point.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If it were me, I would stay away from TF's if I had autoimmune issues. I'm not telling you to do this but I would certainly discuss it with the doc. When one's immune system is already attacking one's own body, some docs do not believe in taking anything which revs up the immune system. They often prescribe immune suppressors.

Again, I want to be clear that I'm not giving medical advice, just my own opinion. If, after discussing it with an autoimmune expert, it were considered safe, I would reconsider it.

I'm so sorry about the Hashimoto's. My neighbor has a form of it and she has had to go from FL to Houston to find a doc she feels has helped her. In the coming year, I am going to be looking at seeing an endocrinologist and I'm hoping I can find a good one. This is one area I've not had checked out because I've been busy with other long-term treatments. I think I need to rule out other problems besides my hypothyroidism.

My prayers are with you and please, tell us what the doc says about the TF's.

Love, Mikie