Pumpkin Shortage Again This Year

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hurricane Irene destroyed a lot of the pumpkin crop so there is likely to be a pumpkin shortage again this year. I buy several cans whenever I go to the store when there is a predicted shortage. OMG! With my new pumpkin-themed bakeware, it would be a tragedy if I couldn't make pumpkin cake.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a recipe somewhere around here for pumpkin souffle and it was delicious last time I made it, before common era (BCE :) Only trouble is that souffles are sooo touchy.

I have a recipe for Poor Man's Cake which is a nice spice cake which would do instead of pumpkin. Still, I'm one who likes to be prepared so I'll likely pick up extra canned pumpkin. Yes, the canned stuff is better.

Mmmmm, blackberry pie. My mouth is watering, no small feat with Sjogren's :)

I won't be going up to Atlanta for Thanksgiving this year. My daughter and SIL always invite me and I went last year. My daughter is having the cartlige repaired in her hip and, I guess it's a big deal. Recovery is six months and full recovery is a year. It's far worse than a full hip replacement. Her Dad is going up for a week following the surgery to drive her where she needs to go. Fortunately, it's her left hip and her vehicle is an automatic. No clutch to bother with.

My ex does not have a kid-friendly home so he and Andy have not really bonded. Andy is crazy about him so I hope this will be a chance for them to bond. J and Andy will be down one of these days and he and I will continue our good relationship. There isn't much here he can hurt. I like distressed furniture and organic fabrics. I live in my space. My ex's place is an antique museum.

To get back on track--the last year I worked in the store, we ran out of canned pumpkin and it was such a shock to the customers. They couldn't believe it despite news reports that it was coming.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate the good wishes for my daughter and her surgery. She's a jock so the worst part for her will be not being able to be as active as she usually is.

Also good to know the latest pumpkin report. I'm takin' no chances and am going to stock up.

My condo is decorated to fit my taste for better or worse. It's eclectic with some antiques and some contemporary--think Nate Berkus. In fact, I have one of his little side tables next to my bed. It's got a glass top and the base looks just like tree branches. I did as much Feng Shui in here as I could, given the layout, and the energy is just right. Everyone who comes in says it's such a nice place. It's not all perfect; it's lived in and comfortable.

I think cats and dogs are part of our whole home dynamic, just like the people and the atmosphere. Cats can only add to the good energy of a home.

Love, Mikie
  4. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

I must have forgotten because that sounds like something I heard about again this yr.I just checked my pantry and I did stock up.I've made fresh pumpkin a long time ago.so much darn work and then found out canned tastes better to me too.Husband asks if I'm going to ever make it fresh again and I just give him the are you nuts look.i doubt he even remembers the taste or which was better.Fresh sounds better.I just wish I had the knack for a flaky crust but I use the Pillsbury kind.
    Pam
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Used lard in making pie crusts and that is what made them soooo good. They kept bacon grease to fry in. Geez! Everything tasted great but somehow, I don't think it was that good for us.

Love, Mikie
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Mikie,

Thanks for the heads up on the pumpkin shortage; I haven't heard anything on the news. I'll definitely be stocking up on pumpkin every time I'm at the grocery. I've actually noticed somewhat of a shortage at the store already. I put pumpkin in my oatmeal every morning and add cinnamon too. It's so healthy and tasty!

I hope your daughter's surgery goes as smoothly as possible and that you are doing well.

Love, Erika
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yummmmy!

I was at Target to pick up a Rx and got a few groceries while I was there. They have the small 7" fruit pies for $3.99. The pumpkin pie was $4.99. Guess I'll be stocking up for sure.

Love, Mikie
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi again Mikie,

I think I have 15 cans in my pantry now. I use one can every five days or so. That should keep me going for awhile! LOL P.S. Jason's Deli has pumpkin pie pound cake. Yum!

Love, Erika