Pup Allergic ~~~~~Poor Lil Guy!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Feb 7, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi All
    Took my New little Dog Lucky in for his Shots today and Everything went great! But about an hour after getting Him home His Eyes were almost swollen shut! Poor Pup!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So I called the Vets office and of course they said to Bring him back for a shot of Benedryl, So i Raced Him back down there and they gave him a shot and told me to stop at the store and get some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,More Benedryl just in case he Needed it! so then they also gave me the worming med for him and then when we got back again he Threw up alot of undigested food!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Know thats Not good! But anyhoo~~~ Just wondering if anyone eles has ever had this problem with pet Vaccines? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He wasn't with me for the first round of shot's so i have no idea if he reacted to them! But The Vet said that it happens to one in 700 dogs~~~~ And she told me to go buy a lotto ticket! lolol
    But of course i'm Home babysitting My Baby Who is now sound asleep on my feet right now!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I Feel so bad for the poor little 'guy! He Weighs 16lbs and is 13 weeks,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I am so sorry your little puppy is sick. I would not give him any other meds until he is recovered (worming medicine).

Also be very careful with the next shots. He may be allergic. I have read some vets use poor quality vaccines. You can research it on the internet.

I have two small dogs. With the Chihuahua, I never let them give all the shots at one time. He is so small and I just know it would make him sick. In fact, when I had him neutered, he had a bad reaction to the anesthesic and they almost lost him.

The vet told me they had 4 other doctors working on him to save him. He can never have a general anesthetic again so we have to make sure and keep his teeth very clean. My husband brushes their teeth each day. He made a game out of it, so they think he is playing with them. There is a special doggy toothpaste they like.

Hope your baby is feeling better soon....

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your Replies! He's doing better right now asleep on my feet again! I gave him a good amount of water and we've been out going potty (alot) his eyes are still swolen but not as bad, and i didn't give him anymore Medicine!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I wanted to wait and see how he does in the morning! and yes they did send me home with 2 more doses of worming meds, but not for 2 weeks do i have to give him that!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So i'm just going to check out the humane society and see if the next time it's shot time i can maybe take him there.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He's part springer and part collie. sooo cute, sorry to Hear about your little dog Pvlady I'm glad he's OK! and Lindyl Glad your Kitty is ok also!! I Havne't had a pup for along time so having to learn things all over again!,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007]
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Oh, sisland, I'm so sorry for your little pup! Poor little guy!

My puppy (well, he's 18 months old now) was 4 months old when we adopted him from the shelter - he'd been abandoned outside the shelter on Boxing Day along with his brother. Charlie's a yellow lab/German shepherd cross. He was SO cute; all big feet and waggy tail!

Anyway, the second night he was home, he began to cough - and cough, and cough, and cough to the point of gagging and retching. I called the emerg line and they said it was probably kennel cough. Then he barfed up WORMS!!! Big ones!!!

So, directly off to the vet, who gave us medications for him including another deworming. But he didn't seem to get better and then lost his appetite. It broke our hearts to see the little guy retching and so sick!

Back to the vet, who put him on IV meds for 2 days and sent him home with us again. He improved for about a day, and went straight back downhill. Back to the vet again; this time, they said he had only a 50/50 chance of survival! Apparently he had been unable to absorb any of the oral meds because he was so full of worms!!! They IV'd him again and kept him another 2 nights. This time, the medications seemed to work and today he is hale and hearty, strong and happy, and weighs 90+ pounds!

The shelter refunded our adoption fee and thankfully, he'd automatically been enrolled in a pet insurance plan so we were reimbursed for a good part of his medical costs. He is devoted to me; I guess he remembers how I nursed him around the clock.

When he refused food in those "sick days", the only thing he would actually show interest in eating was boiled hamburger. Not fried (too greasy), just boiled and unseasoned. Apparently it's not too hard to digest as the texture becomes quite fine and crumbly. I slowly added a little rice to the mix each day. After we got him eating again, we switched right away to the vet-prescribed canned food which had extra nutrients, etc. to help him recover.

So, make sure those worms are under control...I had no idea just how life-threatening they could be. BTW, I had to deworm him again this past summer, even though he'd been through 2 thorough cycles of deworming meds after his illness...they are stubborn parasites.

I will be thinking of your sweet boy and sending healing thoughts!!! Keep us posted, wishing you well, nature
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow what a round you had with your pup!! Glad to hear He's doing so well now! Thankyou for your support and info! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Well Today started out Good! His eyes were back to Normal all the swelling has gone away! thank Goodness! so I fed him a half cup of Dry puppy food with alittle bit of water mixed in....................................................And He threw that up an hour later! soooo now i'm just giving him water for the rest of the day and then I'm thinking i need to get him a sensetive stomach dog food. He's going potty ok so i hope it's just from the shot!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ugh! who knows! i'm just going to take it one one day at a time, i think he's fine ,,,,,,,,,,,,and i just need to let his tummy rest for the day!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

My puppy developed a big lump from one of the vaccinations. it took months for it to go away. She didn't vomit though.

However, she DID swallow a straight pin the following week. She DID vomit from that episode.

I hope the next round of shots doesn't cause your little puppy so much physical stress.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2007]
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

The Vet called to check in and told me just to give him water and alittle bit of cooked rice for the rest of the day!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So i Cooked some rice and gave him a couple TBS of it mixed with alittle water about an hour ago and so far he's kept it down ! He's sleeping again!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Just LIke a Baby! lolol Thanks all!
    Joy~~~~~Ya know i really need to watch and make sure he's not swallowing stuff he's not supposed too! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks!,,,,,,,,,,,S
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

Is Back to his normal self! Full of P&V!lolo Except i Need to get Him some spendy Dog Food for sensitive Stomachs!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yea!
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Dc~~~ Thankyou for all the helpful info! I didn't end up giving him anymore Benedryl just wanted to wait and see how he did today ! and He's doin great! The rice worked wonders for his stomach problem!,,,,,S
  10. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Hey sis,
    Been off the boards for a few days and just checked in to see how your puppy was making out....I'm SO glad to hear he's on the mend!!!

You must be a very good "mum" and nurse, he will love you for life now! Well done and congrats, now enjoy that little guy and have some fun!

cheers, nature