Purchased a Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragon06, May 25, 2006.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Well I purchased my first wheelchair. It's not new or anything, just a used one off Ebay and some extra cushions. I am going to pick it up in the next couple of days.

I don't need a wheelchair all the time, I can get around my apartment and short distances ok. It's just that I need it to go shopping or out for "walks" with my guy or just to go out and have fun like to a zoo (we really like zoo's and aquariums).

I feel good and weird about this purchase. Good because I will be able to do things with family with less bad consequences. I will be able to do things I couldn't normally do. And dammit sometimes you just want to look like something is wrong with you so people will stop saying "but you look just fine, you can't really be sick." or giving you dirty looks when you park in the handicapped spot at the store.

I feel a little weird about it cause I am scared I might come to rely on it too much and not get as much exercise as I should.

I don't feel like I am giving in by using a wheelchair. Although I did find it difficult to watch senior citizens power walking down the boardwalk in Atlantic City while I was sitting there on a bench waiting for my friends to return from the food court because it was too far for me to walk and I am 31. (no offense to senior citizens)

Some days I just REALLY hate this DD!!!!!
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

and it has really made a difference.I can go to church more when I don't have to sit in the hard pews.

I wanted to change the hospital look so I bought big flower stickers and put them on the back of the wheelchair.

I can do more things when I don't have to walk.It seemedd to be a guess whether I could stand something or not.

I still walk as much as I am able.I've gotten up to
    where i can walk in the store,get 1 item and let my husband check it out.That's the only way that I can describe my walking ability

Any way as Roy Rogers used to say"Happy Trails to you"
    Linda
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

I think that you should use anything and everything that gives you more freedom with this DD.

You shouldn't have to prove to anyone whether you are "disabled enough" to require it.

Anything that will help you spend more time out and about enjoying life is worth it!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie