Pushed myself to have a yard sale this weekend

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, May 28, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

My sister-in-law and I had a yard sale Fri. and Sat. I live right on the main hwy. and there was more traffic than usual. We did not hardly sell anyhting. Did not have many lookers either.

Last time we had a sale, we did really good. Anyway, since we did not sell much we had to box every thing up and carry boxes of stuff and put them in the shed. We sat outside for about 8 hrs each day.

I am sore and achy today. I knew I was going to probably have some kind of a flare. So, we are gonna have another sale soon, boy I sure dread it. Next time, I may just donate it to a needy organization.

I was tired after the first couple of hrs. and wanted so badly to go lay down, but I kept pushing myself to stay outside and help. Now I am paying for it.

Kriket
  2. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I had a garage sale last month and it killed me. It was a bad weather day(cold,cloudy) and I did not do too well.I did make $60 but mosty of my stuff is still here. I was going to have another one but I cannot bring myself to do it.I am just getting rid of the stuff.I cannot sit longer than an hour or I end up in a major flare.
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

A yard sale?? Oh, my dears, donate the stuff and take the tax credit. It's much easier on your health. Or, offer someone half of what they make on your stuff if they do the sale. I did that when I moved and both my DIL and I made $500.

Marta
  4. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

My aunt and I both have FMS and only GOd knows what else. Last year we had a yard sale and always had a third person chip in too. We took turns going in to lay down, cool off or whatever. Just taking small breaks helps. Also had 2 hubbys to help sit up the tables and the heavy stuff.
    One thing we learned is to mark our stuff cheap. Yes, we may get alot less than what we paid for it but we don't have much left to pack up at the end of the sale. And what we do have left goes to charity unless its something that we really didn't care if it sold or not.
    Also at the end of the day, we gave alot of stuff away. Let them pick what they want to buy and if you only have an hour to go before packing up, tell people to take what they want. (within reason) Yes, people love our sales!
    I have been to some this year that price things higher than the stores. I'd rather give my stuff away on the last day than to torture my body packing it up and taking it to the Salvation Army.
    It is hard work but with plenty of help and cheap prices it can be fun.
    cindy
  5. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

things to do. Now I have to stay home. If Im out and I see a sign, I have to drive on by. We have soooo much junk but I cant have a yard sale anymore. I have to pace myself just to get through a day doing mostly nothing.

Next time, have it arranged for someone to pick up all thats left at the end of the day. That way, all that work you do will not be in vain. You wont have to bring it all back inside.

Suzette
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I use to be really good and about 4 times a year I would box up stuff ,cloths,dishes ect. and hubby would take and donate to different organiztion.You can claim the value on your taxes as a donation deduction.That may save you more in the long run then setting for 8 hours and not making much .
    I beleave you can claim up to $500 total for each organaniztion.Just be sure to get a donation slip from them to keep with your taxes incase you get audited.
    The veteran's group will pick up if you call them.The Purple Heart group and Viet Nam Veteran's You should be able to get the numbers from your yellow pages.Also if by chance you live close to a military base you can donate to their Lending Closet ,this is used to lend out to military families until theit household goods get moved to their duty station.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/29/2006]
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Just the thought of having a yard sale makes me panic.

My hubby and I moved 3 times in less than 2 years and once it was a double move because some of our stuff had to go into storage. Each time we moved we gave away so much stuff. I didn't even consider having a yard sale. That is one of the things that flashes FLARE..FLARE..FLARE. more than anything.

So sorry you are not well. You might have to give up that type of activity.

Lola