Put a Stop to Biopsies! Blood Test now available.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

There is a test APPROVED by FDA in US available wherein a reading can be obtained from the blood that will tell if you have any carcinogenic (cancer) activity anywhere in your body. It can differenciate cells etc.
    My mother was told to have a liver biopsy (she will be 80) because she has had autoimmune hepatitis on and off for years and years. She has never gone on Pred. but has osteoporosis so takes avista in the event this thing progresses; anyway my info I printed out on this test, ANAS (I will double-check) I took to my mother's over the weekend.
    I am facing multi-biopsies, should the bloody surgeons get their way; I gave this info to my doc friends and verified the test is now availabe to anyone who requests it and can pay for it via ins. or private funds if you don't have any coverage.
    Learning this may save me from specifically a biopsy that was to have been have but the cowboys down here did not know what they were doing and after four hours of their skewering I asked for the procedure to be stopped; then the irate hooking-bull comes at me with thorazine!!!!! I have the rare side-effect from SSRI, Tardives, which is reversible from an SSRI but with Thorazine it is irreversible! Talking about bucking my ass out of that joint.....Hi-Dee-Ho! Hello Mr. Hanky!!!
    Sorry about my side-track. I was reading today of all the biopsies floating around and thought this was much too important info to put in that thread. More later. CactusLil'
  2. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

There is a test APPROVED by FDA in US available wherein a reading can be obtained from the blood that will tell if you have any carcinogenic (cancer) activity anywhere in your body. It can differenciate cells etc.
    My mother was told to have a liver biopsy (she will be 80) because she has had autoimmune hepatitis on and off for years and years. She has never gone on Pred. but has osteoporosis so takes avista in the event this thing progresses; anyway my info I printed out on this test, ANAS (I will double-check) I took to my mother's over the weekend.
    I am facing multi-biopsies, should the bloody surgeons get their way; I gave this info to my doc friends and verified the test is now availabe to anyone who requests it and can pay for it via ins. or private funds if you don't have any coverage.
    Learning this may save me from specifically a biopsy that was to have been have but the cowboys down here did not know what they were doing and after four hours of their skewering I asked for the procedure to be stopped; then the irate hooking-bull comes at me with thorazine!!!!! I have the rare side-effect from SSRI, Tardives, which is reversible from an SSRI but with Thorazine it is irreversible! Talking about bucking my ass out of that joint.....Hi-Dee-Ho! Hello Mr. Hanky!!!
    Sorry about my side-track. I was reading today of all the biopsies floating around and thought this was much too important info to put in that thread. More later. CactusLil'
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I feel this info is so important in diagnostics; many invasive procedures will not be necessary; plus some occult cancers can be found early and treated, such as ovarian.

I have chest wall lesions which have all so far been benign but the biopsy procedure to get to the wall is a nightmare. Now this test will save both money and an unnecessary traumatic procedure.

Trying to help! Cactus.
  4. lilwren

lilwren New Member

Dear Cactus,

Are you talking about the Anti-Malignin Antibody in Serum (AMAS) Test? It may be FDA approved, but try to find a doctor who believes in it – especially here in Florida! I had to fight tooth and nail to have it done – it was within normal ranges – have been too brain dead to research exactly what those are and what that means – but I was satisfied. The idiot doctors need continuing education! They might as well still be bloodletting! My gyn still hounded me to have a mammogram! I finally caved and had one today - and as I predicted - it's not conclusive! Oh and it hurt so bad I shouted out and burst into tears – the tech thought I was ‘over reacting’. The doctors and their employees need to be trained in bedside manner. It really seems like they are not human. Why am I supposed to be cheerful when I feel like I’m dieing and in severe pain! I AM SO FED UP WITH THE MEDICAL PROFESSION AND THE GREED AND ABUSE!!!! Sorry – it makes me so angry. If I found a genie in a bottle I would wish all of my doctors got CFS and I got better! We can put a man on the moon but we can’t come up with an accurate test for breast cancer!? Or, cure a virus!? Or this DD!?

I hope we can find answers soon!

Love,

Sharon L
  5. lilwren

lilwren New Member

After I calmed down from my last post I remembered watching Oprah the other day – the topic was breast cancer diagnostics. One of the guest speakers was a doctor who invented a new test – I think her name was Dr. Susan Love (hope that’s right). Anyway, her test uses a very thin plastic tube, inserted into a milk duct(s) in the breast – then salt water is used to flush cells out and then those cells were tested for cancer. The other female doctor guest, who sounded like she worked for the FDA, said it wasn’t mainstream and should not be used to replace mammograms – just like they say about the AMAS. I plan on researching it on-line when I can get the energy and brain cells together. Has anyone else heard of this new ‘lavage test’? Oh, Dr. Love also said that using mammograms for cancer detection was like trying to spot a polar bear in the snow – since cancer cells and fibrous breast tissue are both white on a mammogram. I guess there is just too much money, machinery, and jobs tied up in mammograms to do away with them – maybe once the lavage test is marketed more heavily we’ll have a better, more accurate, less painful breast cancer detection tool. Also, maybe the AMAS test will get more well known.

love,

Sharon L
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks a bunch this will help alot of us,
  7. pepper

pepper New Member

I am going to save this information!
    Pepper
  8. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I will check on it tomorrow, I am drained for the day, I will call the local lab and ask them also we have a cancer treatment center here, I will call them also, I will report back.

Jaci

Do we know specifically that it is called ANA test?

9. SharonR

SharonR New Member

You can check out the water based MRI mammograpy machines, they are painless and more accurate than those crushers.
    In fact CactusLil', Texas was the first place they were used in the states, coz I had a friend who went down just
    to have the procedure done.
    Ughhh, the thoughts of a mammogram make me shiver.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  10. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

My first exposure to medical diagnostics was having a local baseline mammo come back showing chest wall lesions, which are very indicative of a cancerous lesions. Mine were five in no. and not encapsulated. Not a pretty picture! The local goatroper wanted to do a mastectomy immediately and remove two lymph nodes......well, my gent friend with the two bros. that are psychiatrists said NO and called CTRC in San Antonio and I had an excisional core biopsy done. Not knowing I had FMS et al. the oncologist thought they would be able to localize the breast and chest wall but once I was loaded in the "thing" walaa, unable to localize! I was asked whether this was a "go" with nothing for the pain or if they stop the procedure. I said "go". Four hours later they had removed all the tissue, I was about to drop; it was benign. Now, almost four years later there has been no regrowth!
    ANAS test. Went for mammo and there was a "whatever (?) in situ" ie. microcalcification in mammalary duct. Not unusual. So I elected to stay here. For four grueling hours radialogist tried to find the duct with the micro using NOT ultrasound as at CTRC, but the old hit and miss method. All know what I did. Called the so-called procedure off; reported the fal-de-rah that had taken place and told him I will not be a guinna-pig for these yahoo's to practice a procedure on. And yes, there were a couple of through the nipple efforts with a cannula and the pain was excruciating. The final blow was when the radiologist decided to enter from the armpit (where the expert at CTRC had been having to go)...I felt a pain so excruciating in my sternum area I thought I would pass out and it was then I asked the procedure be called....they put me in a wheelchair where I was sobbing uncontrollably, which was witnessed by my parents for which I never wanted them to suffer to see the pain I was dealing with. Then wild-bill surgeon came at me with a shot of thorozine and that ended the story and I was saved from a life of foot-shuffling in a psych sanitorium the rest of my life!
    SO...
    These procedures do exist. There are technicians who have tained on cadavers or whatever that can perform them...but whatever you do, do not place your life in the hands of a doc or hospital with little to no experience in what it is you are requesting. I print out everything I find that I know my doc is unfamiliar with and he confers then we proceed together. I told him from the git-go almost a year and a half ago that I am not telling him what to do; I know nothing, absolutely nothing about the other things a doc must learn, but I do research uncessingly for a key that we fcan use together to maybe, just maybe, find a way for me to have some quality of life. Medical practice today dictates for some of us, me, what doc we can use and what our limitations of medical care are.....my poor doc is a Family Practice doc who took on an SSI recipient who does not bring any profit to his practice but he knows this is the only medical help I can get due to being indigent.

The ANAS test is for real. I still have my microcalcification that "they" could not find; a slightly enlarged uterous and now a mandible that will not heal due tohaving unregulated diabetes. I am in a race to get the diabetes addressed. First I had to address the Cushings Syndrome and get my Pred. maintenance down from 20 to 5 and stabalized. Done deal! Now I am getting the diabetes under control as fast as I can so I can withstand the healing necessary to undergo general anesthesia to remove the remaining lower teeth, reconstruct some bone and hopefully successfully place two metal screws whereon an appliance can be placed.
    We must research whether we think we can or not if we want to maximize our quality of life. Docs cannot possibly research ailments heretofore delegated to rheumi's and neuro's; they are not even familiar with our meds. I had to take info on neurotin to my doc...he prescribed it on faith; now it has been confirmed that we are indeed having peti-mal seizures thus the cognitive/memory problems. That is why with the antiseizure meds we start with low doseages as the location of the area producing these peti-mal seizures must be identified. Luckily neutotin is it for me; tegretal for another et al. there are many anti-seizure meds. Now mine must be upped because I cannot remember hardly a thing on a day to day basis but I can still play almost all piano music that was associated with my career as a musician. We keep getting closer to a treatment and not just some meds to throw at our symptoms. Love Cactus'
  11. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

and I also called the local lab, Tri Cities Lab, both told me the same thing, that there are specific types of blood tests for specific cancers, one called PSA for men for prostate, not a general one for any & all cancers, does anyone know different, can you give us more info?

I also asked about mammograms & was told no new one coming out, I thought I had heard a new style is coming out that does not squish you so hard, I am 41, have never had one, I need to start but I cannot get past the fear. I am 40 DD so I have a lot to hurt.

Jaci
  12. JaciBart

JaciBart Member