Put our kitty to sleep today....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lbconstable, Sep 13, 2005.

1. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi all,

My hubby & I put our kitty to sleep today. She was 14 years young and having kidney failure. She hasn't been eating for weeks and just got so weak.

She purred in my arms to the very end. We will miss her so much!

We buried her under an avocado tree overlooking our greenhouse. May her spirit peacefully watch over us!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts & prayers!

-Laurie

2. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I lost my kitty of 14 years of the same thing last year. It was so hard. I am so sorry you lost a dear friend. Take Care Lynn
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My prayers are with you, but I applaud you so much for making this very tough but humane decision. I love my two kitties dearly, but I have sworn to myself that I will never, ever keep them alive if they are suffering at all.

I am picturing your avocado tree and how restful and peaceful a setting that will be for her. I know you are grieving right now, please know I'm saying a prayer for all of you...

((((Gentle Hugs))))
    Pam
  4. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

dear sweetie. What an emotional time. What a beautiful way to go,safe in the arms of your loved one,no pain. I admire you for your love and strength.

I lost my Granny earlier this year and we were so close. I wanted her to be pain free but I didn't want to say goodbye either. She died in her own bed, while sleeping, with her youngest daughter asleep at her side. My Aunt hates that she didn't even know she had died until she woke up an hour or two later, but I find such comfort knowing that she went so peacefully.

I know some people may find it silly I compare this to my Granny but,in my book, a loved one is a loved one... no matter how many legs they have!

I'll pray for your comfort,
    Dani
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My heart goes out to you and your family. I know what it is like to lose a beloved pet. I have lost so many in my life.

Many prayers to you all. I'll be thinking of you...

Hugs,
    Faye
  6. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

for the kind thoughts and encouraging words. I just so appreciate hearing all of your stories right now.

It helps knowing others have been there!

With love, Laurie
  7. islands

islands New Member

I am a kitty lover myself and have lost my three old guys over the past few years. I had a couple of them for 20 years and it was just awful to loose them. I have babies that are young 7s and a 12 year old now.
    Just remember that you gave that baby love for 14 years and it was returned. You would never trade that for anything - despite the pain.
    I empathize and send you a big hug!
  8. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty. What a loving way to let her go. Hugs for you both.

Francie
  9. blkkat

blkkat New Member

im so sorry!! LOL! HUGS! blkkat
  10. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

((((Laurie))),

I'm new here but had to stop looking over all the posts to respond to yours. I'm sooo sorry for your loss. I had to have my 14yr old black lab, Goldie, put to sleep last year due to old age. She was always loyal to me so I had to be loyal to her and not let her suffer. We named her 'Goldie' because she had a heart of gold. Our vet came to the house so she was in peacful surroundings. I still miss her greatly.
    One day your precious memories will replace the great sadness you feel now and you will smile whenever you think of your sweet cat.

-Maree

11. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Thank you all so much!!!

Don't we all love our furbabies so much. They're such a gift to each of us.

I wouldn't trade a minute with our dear Jasmine. When my hubby woke up this morning his first thought was, "wow, the cat didn't wake me up this morning!" Even those annoying idiosyncracies, we'll miss!

Love the scrapbook idea! Her avocado tree will be watched most closely of all of them in the grove.

So sorry Jjeennnniiee about your kitty. I know a new kitty just isn't the same. Just another opportunity to fall in love with another dear friend!

What a sweet name "Goldie." We have a 6 year old black lab named "Izzy." She'll be getting a bunch of extra hugs these days!

Love & Light to you all!
    Laurie
  12. orachel

orachel New Member

Isn't it amazing how these furballs totally find their ways into our hearts?! I'm sure your girl is in a better place. Its such a hard decision, but kudos to you for making the right decision for kitty when she was so ill. I'm sure she's happy and pain free, now!

Hugs...
    Rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2005]
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

we lost our two old dogs in the past year and it was heartbreaking.

Still my old cat, 17, left.

Remember how much love she gave you and what a good life you gave her.

love
    Rosie
  14. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

So sorry to hear about your kitty,

I lost my kitty of 20 years about 3 years ago and it took me a while to get over it. I cried for several days. I had her since I was 13 years old, and now I am 36. It is really hard.

She lived a long life though. Many people who saw her even up to the last few months thought she was only about 4 or 5 because she was in such good shape.

We have a new kitty that is 16 weeks she is a real sweetheart, we named her precious.

I will keep you in my thoughts this week, God bless.
  15. Charleneyz1984

Charleneyz1984 New Member

I am so sorry, i can only imagine how devestated i would feel if i lost my cats.

Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Char
    xxxx
  16. gnanny

gnanny New Member

When I had to put down my beloved great dane I found comfort in keeping his collar out where I could see it. Later in a little gift shop I found a little statue of a black white great dane with wings and a halo. I hope you will remember the good times.
    Take care~
  17. kbak

kbak Member

My heart truly breaks for you. I lost my cat last Nov. I still have a hard time with it. She was such a special animal. I decided I would never go through that kind of heartache again. Anyhow, that was my intent until this stray kitty started hanging out at my house.

I'm so sorry. I wish for you peace and healing.
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I pray for peace and comfort for you.

Farewell, Master

Farewell Master, but not farewell
    Where I go, ye too, shall dwell.
    I am gone, before your face.
    A moment's time, a little space.
    When ye come where I have stepped,
    Ye will wonder why ye wept.

Love, Mikie

19. fivesue

fivesue New Member

That's the worst! Had to put my 14 year old cat to sleep in 2002...soooo hard and I cried for a long time. Everytime I saw a cat that looked a bit like him, I'd cry again.

We now have a 4 year old cat, and I love him to pieces, also. It will be sad the day he leaves us, but there is plenty of time if all goes according to the normal now days.

I'ts hard no matter how old they are; I'm again am so sorry for your loss.

(((Hugs)))
    Sue
  20. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Laurie:

I am so sorry you had to make that difficult decision toput your kitty to sleep. That is so heartbreaking.

Three years ago my beloved sweet cat Scooter who was 14 yrs old was suffering from pancreatitis. There was no hope for him so we had to put him to sleep too.

I cried for weeks. We cremated him and I have his ashes in a beautiful urn. It is comforting havng him nearby. I will never forget him, he wll always be in my heart. My consolation was my two doggies, but they too missed him.

I pray for you to find comfort in that she is at peace.

God Bless you.

Hugs,
    Francey