Put Up Some Shelves Yesterday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 29, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm slooooowly coming out of my flare and can't stand it that I've been able to do so little. My condo needs a good cleaning but I decided to use my energy to put up three shelves on the back wall of the walk-in closet in my little bedroom, which I use as an office.

I went to Lowe's and had them cut those white wire shelves to size, bought the hardware, and came home and put them up. They are easy to install. It wasn't my best work but I was too tired to care. I just wanted to organize my stuff. At least, now I can get to things more easily. I also freed up some much needed space. I was tired last night but felt much better about myself.

Today, I am resting up and having a nice cool mojito. I'll clean tomorrow.

Love, Mikie
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Mikie,

Sorry you are still in your annoying flare, but very glad you were able to get to Lowes and get some shelves put up. I understand what it's like when you feel lousy but your brain is active and wants to do things! You can always re-do the shelves later when you are feeling more zesty.

How are you enjoying your new washer and dryer? I still haven't gotten new ones yet. The old ones are holding out, although the washer is soooo noisy . We had to get a new A/C and heater a month ago and now have to get a new roof due to a massive hail storm last week.

Hope you are feeling full-speed very soon.

Love, Erika
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry; it sounds as though everything is breaking down on you at once. It's always like that, it seems.

I had to get a new A/C compressor unit outside. The air handler inside was replaced not that long ago, so it wasn't as bad as it might have been. Still, it wasn't cheap. I need to replace my hot water heater. It's 16 years old.

I do love the front-loading washer and dryer. They are sooooo quiet and do a great job. The price has come down on them since I got mine but I got such a good deal that I still saved money over what they cost today.

Here's hoping that you can get a new W&D and that this is the end of things breaking down.

Love, Mikie
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks for your kind words. How are you feeling today? I hope you are feeling better and have more energy today.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your washer and dryer. I remember what an awesome bargain you got and your keen negotiating skills. We'll get one one of these days! It's on "the list". We also got a new car last December because our old one broke down. Hopefully that's enough new purchases for awhile.

I guess I can tell people I come from a broken home. (HA!) The hail storm was really massive a few weeks ago and hit a large area of central Texas.

The upside of the new A/C and roof are the energy savings. The new A/C unit is 50% more energy efficient than the old one, and the new roof will be a lighter color, which will also make the house more energy efficient.

I love the pic in your profile of your grandson. He's such a cutie. I remember an earlier pic you had in your profile of the two of you in a park playing on a swing-set---too adorable! Have a great day and feel good.

Love, Erika

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your kind words and wishes. Hugs and prayers coming your way from me.

I haven't gotten a utility bill since the new A/C unit has been running pretty much all the time. It's already in the very high 80's and low 90's here in SW FL. It came early this year and fast. There's not been much rain yet so everything is drying out. We really need it. There are a lot of brush fires down here.

The lighter roof should make a big difference. Ours did. One nice thing about condo living is that part of our monthly fees go into reserve accounts for roofing and painting. It just sits there until it's needed and we don't have to come up with the money all at once. When I moved here, the roof was black. OMG, it was hot. I live on the second floor with open ceilings and my unit was always hot. The white shingles have really helped with that. I also live on the end, so I have three exposed sides being pounded by the sun. The guys downstairs in the middle make out the best.

I'm glad you were able to get a new car. It's always fun to get one. Mine is already six years old. I can't believe it. It only has 25,000 miles on it. At this rate, it may last the rest of my life. If inflation keeps up, it may have to last me the rest of my life :) I do take excellent care of it.

I hope you are feeling well and enjoying life, other than the things which are breaking down. I'm still coming out of that nasty flare but am feeling so much better. I do have to watch my energy. I'm kinda glad our hours have been cut so drastically at the store but it's hard on the budget. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hello again, Mikie. I hope you are feeling even better today and are officially "de-flared" or will be very soon. Thank you so much for your hugs and prayers. I've been unexpectedly down in the dumps the past few days, which is not my norm, so I especially appreciate it.

The weather you are describing in SW FL is somewhat similar here in south central TX. We have been averaging 8 to 10 degrees above normal for about 2 weeks, giving us highs in the mid 90s! Sheesh. And, like your neck of the woods, we're also much dryer than normal. I'm very sorry to hear about your brush fires. I've heard about them on the news. We had a lot of brush fires two years ago when we had a severe drought, but last summer we had unusual amounts of rain and flooding.

Changing the subject a little, my husband's parents are treating the extended family to a trip in Orlando in August---kind of a mini-reunion thing (which is really sweet of them). There's a lot of young kiddos in the family, so Disney made sense. Do you happen to know if Orlando is getting the same brush fires that other parts of Florida are? It should be a fun trip but like Texas, it will be really hot.

It sounds like you and I are simpatico with our cars. I got mine at the end of November, and it only has 1100 miles on it! I'm 38, but at the rate I'm driving it and runaway gas prices, perhaps it will be my last one also! ;-)

I didn't know your grocery had cut back on your hours. I think a lot of businesses, both big and small, are trying to stay afloat in this crazy economic climate. It sounds like for the most part the new schedule is working for you. Budgeting is definitely a lot more challenging by the week these days! Have a great day and feel good.

Love, Erika

7. ckball

ckball New Member

Good job on the shelves, your getting pretty good at this DIY stuff. I have valuted ceilings in my closet, I did put shelves up last year but still need to reorganize.

I do not have guests overnite, except when my grandaughter comes but she is 17 now and it's not cool to see grandma esp when you have a BF, now what I mean.

Anyway I keep my air mattress and extra bedding for a queen and twin matteress. I still have too much in the floor but since I have spent the last 5 months fixing my yard inside things just have to wait.

I am sorry to hear you have been down and hope you perk up soon, have you done any paintings lately? I won a Blue Ribbon at my art club this week. We meet once a month and bring a peice of art and we vote and have refreshments after busniess is taken care. I have a pic in my profile, it is soft pastels of a sunset I took the picture of close to my home.

I haven't been on the board much, just the porch so I just wanted to say hi-so hi,lol. Carla
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am proud of you for putting up shelves especially when you are feeling so badly. At least if you did a good job you can look at it and be happy and proud of yourself. If you feel you need to improve on some of your work, you can do so later on when you feel better..

Way to go Mikie !

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs and blessings,

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Erika, by August, we are well into the rainy season so be prepared for strong afternoon thunderstorms which don't last too long. It's a good thing you are used to hot, humid weather because it will be hot and humid then in FL. I think the best plan for Orlando attractions is to be there first thing in the morning, go back to the hotel and rest in the afternoon, and go back to the parks in the evenings. Summer evenings in FL are wonderful. We can have fires even in the rainy season but usually do not unless some lightening strikes. It's so dry here right now and that is why we have so many brush fires. I hope you enjoy Orlando. My flare is getting better all the time. It was caused by some lotion I was using which blocked the Guai. When the Guai gets blocked, it takes a bit for me to notice and by then, it takes a while to get back to feeling well.

Carla, love your painting and congratulations on your Blue Ribbon. Your club sounds great. I have a canvas sitting on the easel right now with some preliminary pencil markings on it. I have to be in just the right mood. Also, it's hard for me to paint if I have other, more pressing needs in the condo. I just couldn't stand that closet any longer and am so very glad to have a lot of my stuff organized. Keep us updated when you post your paintings.

Granni, thanks for the hugs and blessings. I send mine to you as well. I was married to Mr. Home Improvement for 26 years and paid careful attention to how to do things. I helped him build an extension on our first home. It just feels really good to not have to depend on a man for every little home project. I know when I need to call in a pro but so much of what needs doing in a home can easily be done if one knows how. I'm not a perfectionist like my ex was. I do a really good job where it counts but for something like shelves in a closet, I don't sweat it if it isn't perfect.

I hope and pray y'all are doing well and thanks for your responses.

Love, Mikie
  10. Toga

Toga Member

Don't mean to eavesdrop but had to compliment Carla on her painting. It is beautiful. I love the colors.

I would be proud to hang this one in my house.

11. ckball

ckball New Member

Mikie I am the same way about my painting and glass work, have to be in the mood and if other things "need" to be well the need wins.

It does feel good not to need a man to do projects, altho right now with this yard and rock scaping it would be really good to have one just to move the really big ones, lol.

Toga thank you for very for you sweet compliment, I took the picture from a road close to my house, the view is beautiful and I sat there for a half an hour just taking pictures so I have a time lapse of pics. It is very cool. So that was my inpiration for the drawing as it is a soft pastel medium. Thanks-Carla
  12. jmq

jmq New Member

A mojito without me!!! I know how wonderful you must feel to be well enough to accomplish that project. I am glad the flare is finally passed. I have been visiting family in New Zealand and have had about four straight weeks of fair to great days! The climate over here is perfect for me...but its too far to move here permanantly. I hope I can stay on this good streak when I get home to hot and humid South Florida!

Keep up the good work...but do not over do it with the cleaning!

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Toga and Carla, it's so nice to have such creative people here. I think as long as we have the will and energy to create, it keeps us from dispair and keeps something special alive in us.

jmq, I am so happy for you that you are feeling so well. Yes, I hope when you return, you continue to feel this well. It's been in the low 90's already and very humid on some days but drier on others. We are finally starting to get some badly needed rain. I think I have finally acclimated to the heat. Every spring, it takes me about a month before I can stand it. Then, it doesn't bother me. In fact, the heat and himidity seem to help me feel a lot better than I did in CO. We are all so different that there isn't one kind of climate which seems to suit us all. Enjoy your stay.

Love, Mikie
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Thanks for the great info on Orlando. I'll be sure to pack an umbrella! I hope we can convince the kiddos to take a nap break, but that could be a tall order. It's going to be an interesting dynamic with my husband and me and hubby's 3 siblings, some of whom have kids, PLUS the grandparents---so many different needs and divergent interests! Should be fun though having everyone together. Thanks for your great advice.

It's challenging sometimes to find just the right products on the Guai Protocal. By the time we find just the right one, manufacturers can change the formula. Those websites that sell special products just for Guai-users are soooo pricey. My prayers are with you for good health and happiness.

Love, Erika
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your prayers; my prayers are with you too.

I fogot to mention that before I went to Disney World, I got a book on FL tourism (before I lived here). It suggested not only arriving first thing in the morning but also going directly to the most popular rides early. The lines get longer as the day goes on. If you arrive early, you get closer in parking too. Of course, the trams run back and forth in the parking lot.

With smaller kids, it's almost a guarantee that they will be tired enough to nap by afternoon if they've been at the park since it opened. One good thing is to go swimming after nap time and before heading back to the park or swimming just before bedtime. A lot of times, you kinda have to play it by ear and work around the rain. The park is better at night with the lights, fireworks, and parade, so that can be held out as bribery for naptime.

I love the Disney parks and I hope y'all have as good a time there as I have. I haven't been for a while but I expect that when Andy is old enough to enjoy it, I'll meet the kids there. FL residents get discounted passes but it's still expensive.

Love, Mikie
  16. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Mikie for such stellar advice! In our group we have 2 kiddos that are 8, one that is 6 and another that is 3. I'll probably hang out with the 3-year old, as he probably won't be able to ride those thrill rides yet!

Three of them in are in the same family and were just at Disney in March, so I'm hoping that their parents have figured out some of the "best practices". I'm still going to politely add my two cents b/c they might not have considered or know about some of your great suggestions. I haven't been to Disney since I was a kid, so it helps me to know what's up too. (Can you tell I'm a planner?) :)

I thought we were staying in Orlando but just found out that we're staying about 15 miles away (not sure of the town's name). The place we're staying at is the Ginn Resort. Instead of a hotel setting, they off houses of various sizes so everyone can be in one place. This way, we can all have thoroughly driven each other nuts by the end of the trip. ;-)

I hope you are feeling well and back to "full speed". I always enjoy talking with you.

Sending you many blessings and good cheer.

Love, Erika
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Between your planning and the prior experience with the kids at Disney, it sounds as though you guys will have a great time. I have never stayed in one of the Disney hotels but some friends did and I met them there last time Mom and I went. They paid a lot for their rooms and the rooms themselves were small and nothing special. The big draw was the "theme" of the place. It was in the Animal Kingdom and there were African animals outside their windows each morning. The only real amenity I could see was the tram which took them to the park from the hotel.

When we went, it was near Christmas and they had the Christmas parade. We bought extra tickets to Mickey's Christmas Party. They had free hot chocolate and a snow-making machine. I still have a pic of Mom posing with Goofey. The friends I met had kids and they had the time of their lives.

I like the idea of the housing you will have. Families can drive one another crazy but if people don't get to see one another very often, being close can really provide a nice time and some good memories. I pray that will be the case and I predict all will go well and you will have a good time.

Thanks for your good wishes. I am having the best day I've had in a long time. I drove over the river into the Cape today to put in my order at the Angel Food distributor. I had lunch with one of our members who lives over there. It was the first time I had met her and she is a delight. We will probably get together again. I hope so. Lordy, it feels good to just be able to enjoy what others take for granted.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie
  18. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi again. How are you? Hope you are doing well. I've got a crazy ear infection, so I feel like I can't concentrate or articulate very well. You have a great knack for writing. I can just picture you with your mom at Disney over Christmas. What a precious memory you will always have with her.

My hubby's parents aren't getting younger (or mine for that matter). I know that's why they are wanting to get everyone together from many different parts of the country. It will be fun. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement.

I'm so glad to hear you had such a great day a few days ago and hope that has continued. It's so nice that you had lunch with another member here and had such a good time. You deserve it! As always my prayers are with you for sustained good health and happiness.

Love, Erika
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hope your ear infection is better. Having one is like living under water. Aack!

I felt well enough today to spray the outside of our condo bldg. for ants. They always start coming in during the rainy season at the other end. Hopefully, spraying will take care of them before then try to come into my place. As long as I was out there all sweaty in the 90 degree weather, I sucked out the air conditioning overflow pipes for my unit and a couple of others. Mine was full of nasty fungi stuff, so I'm definitely glad I got that done. I came inside, took the front off the air handler, and poured some bleach down the hole. That should do the trick. I'm on the board and we try to do what we can ourselves on the bldg. to save money. The other two board members are up north, so this time of year, I'm on my own.

Thanks for your kind words about my writing. I enjoy writing and may someday try to do something with it.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie
  20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

That's so neat that you on are your condo's board. The residents are lucky to have you. Great going that you got some things done!

I didn't know how much stuff I would need to learn and do when my hubby and I moved into our first house 4 years ago. That's precisely when I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia (of course) and that's also when I needed to crank things up a notch and learn how to take care of "house things"---the timing was very challenging.

It definitely makes a difference cost-wise doing some things around the house yourself. I impressed my hubby a few months ago by fixing some leaky faucets myself. I certainly can't do everything, but learning and doing a few things here and there really helps. I never thought of myself as being able to fix stuff, but hey, once in awhile I get lucky. ;-)

Thanks for your kind words about my ear. It's doing much better. I hope you are continuing to feel well. It's great talking to you. Hugs and prayers to you as always.

Love, Erika