Puzzle for Lexophiles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Feb 28, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Lex Barker was Tarzan after Johnny Weissmuller put aside his loincloth and retired. And Lex Luthor was a villain in the Superman comics.

And "lex non minimus de curat" was something I learned in law school, but a lexophile is a lover of words.

So here's a tuff one for ya.

What do these words have in common:

Close Present Job Object Produce Record The

Your answers must be recieved by the close of the business day, employees of the sponsor and this radio station not eligible, no purchase required.

Entries become the property of the sponsor. In case of tie, the earliest postmark or the one clipped to a twenty dollar bill will be declared the winner.

Decision of the judges is final. All votes from Florida are disqualified. You must be over the age of your last birthday and own your own socks or know someone who does.

Rates subject to change w/o notice. Annual percentage rate so high it will make your nose bleed and your head spin. Dogs must be leashed at all times. Park at your own risk.

All of the animals are wild so do not get too close to their cages. Do not take w/ alcohol. Good luck and remember: Only you can close cover before striking!
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Love the disclaimers,haha.Listed in the style of a true lawman.
    No idea what the words have in common,but will guess at a connection with opportunity,as in:
    close an opportunity,
    present an opportunity,
    job opportunity,
    object opportunity??,
    produce an opportunity??,
    record opportunity??,
    the opportunity??.

As I said,I've no idea,lol.
  3. rockgor

Hey, that's very good. You found a connection, tho not the one I was thinking of. This illustrates that our perceptions are partly "out there" and partly in our head.

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Except "The" but when used with "The," they can be nouns.

Just a stab in the dark.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2007]
  5. rockgor

A very good stab. You are correct; most of the words can be nouns or verbs. And your answer is about 90% correct.

Or, if we were playing hide the thimble, I'd said you were extremely hot!
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Piggybacking on Mikie's response, I'd say they are all in the noun family, with "the" being a noun article.

With the first letter capitalized, as you've written them, they are all proper nouns. Maybe a demented English teacher's names for his seven kids?

They are all English words, as opposed to, say, Swahili. They probably all became part of the English language before the 16th century. "Job" is probably the most recent and "the" the oldest.

They all contain a vowel adjacent to a consonant.

Semantically, they're all related in a sense to the legal profession, specifically, what happens in a courtroom.

Can't think of anything else offhand.

7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Almost all can be pronounced in two different ways by puting the emphasis on a different syllable. The different pronunciation changes the meaning.

Except for that darn "the". Unless you pronounce it like my daughter did when she was learning to read: Tuh-he-eh. (she took sounding it out quite literally).

And "job", you'd have to go with Job from the Bible as the 2nd pronounciation.
  8. rockgor

intelligent and imaginative bunch we have here.

You're right, Ken. I didn't realize it before, but they do fit very nicely into a courtroom drama.

I like "demented English teacher". Made me LOL. "I would now like to present my son Present w/ this lovely present in honor of...!"

Twinma, you are right on the money! Good for you. The pronunciation changes
    depending on whether it's a verb or a noun. I noticed this when doing crossword puzzles.

And, yes, there are two others. Job can be an Old Testament figure.

And the pronunciation of "the" changes depending if the noun following starts w/ a vowel or consonant. "Thuh" desk; "thee" apple.

Summing up, as so often in life, it's the context that matters. Thank you all for playing.

Please line up and leave the classroom in an orderly manner. The demented English teacher at the door will give you a lovely sense Hoff queue pond four wall mark asp yew spaz bye.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Tank use forty interest ink pus ill.
    Eye great lee end joy did.

Dose Twin Ma winter Lexus?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  10. rockgor

Yew our two fun knee. Twinma auto win sum thin. Add lea star add mere hay shun.

11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

dere's more tan one whey to say "the"? I'm from Wisconsin, ya know, and we say "thuh" desk and "thuh" apple, and "thuh" everytink else!

Ken and Rock - you two are two funny. Ya shudda hurt me trian to figur out wat ya two were sayin. Finally figuret out most of it. Had to say it ow loud, tho. Hoo boy! Is dat a form of pig latin?

Yippee, ya can deliver my Lexus anytime! If not, yer ad mer aye shun, will do.

12. rockgor

perhaps there are local speech patterns in different parts of Wisconsin.

I grew up in MN, 45 miles from LaCross, WI. Maybe I already told you that. Lived for a while in Stoughton. Went to the U of W, Madison.

The mid west is the heartland and the bread basket of the country.
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Here's a puzzle for you:
    Do you know what the following means:
    Happy "Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant".

Maybe one of your ancestors Merrick would know???
    [This Message was Edited on 03/01/2007]
  14. rockgor

Something about a Saint's feast day, maybe. That's all I could figure out from a Welsh-English dictionary.

Just got a CD at the library, a recital by Byrn Terfel. He sings a beautiful folk song in Welsh. Sings in 3 other languages too.

He sings the love song from the movie score Titanic by James Horner. For some reason he sings it in Italics, oh, I mean Italian. (Alas, my poor brain is deteriorating faster than the ozone layer.) James Horner is my current favorite movie composer.

If you get a chance listen to his music from the movie The Rocketeer. His best score I think. I read that Titanic was the highest selling movie-score album.

Finished the bio of the Welsh baritone Sir Geraint Evans last night. He puts a lot of focus on creating a character as opposed to beautiful singing. He was from the village of Cilfynydd which he alleges is pronounced Kill-vun-ith. Well, how else could you pronounce it?

Have you heard The Three Tenors. Two of them no longer had beautiful voices. Placido, who is my age, still sounded good. Most high voices (sopranos and tenors) start to go soon after age 50.

Low voices last a good ten years longer. I, of course, don't have to worry about this problem having never had a voice to begin w/.

Ha det bra

15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Huked on fonics werked fur me!

16. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Don't ask me to pronounce but I have it on good authority that "Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant" translates to the feast day of St David,the patron saint of Wales,which falls on 1st March each year.
    So Happy St David's Day rock.Wonder if any of your distant relations are celebrating today.

Another puzzler for you rock,although St David's Day falls on the 1st of March each year,why wasn't it celebrated on 1st March last year??????
  17. rockgor

Phonics phor phun and prophet. Glad to see you were a good student.

Can't tell if your question is a riddle or serial, Paul.
    I guess if it wasn't celebrated last year there must have been something important going on like a soccer match.

Are the Welsh Catholic? Geraint Evans was a Methodist. Which reminds me, I once played the part of Charles Wesley in a church play.
  18. paulmack

paulmack New Member

if it was a sport that caused it then it would more likely to have been Rugby Union,the most important sports game to all Welshfolk.
    But yeh,you were on the right track wi religion.
    In 2006 Saint David's Day was officially celebrated on 28 February by Roman Catholics and on 2 March by the Anglican Church in Wales as saints' days are not celebrated on Ash Wednesday, which is a day of penitence.
    So I guess there were triple celebrations last year,lol.
    Apparently it is only the sixth time since 1876 that Ash Wednesday - the start of Lent in the Christian calendar - has fallen on the same date as St David's Day. The last time it happened prior to 2006 was in 1995.
    Da boch

19. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I'ld type everything I said too.

Sorry to hear it Rock

20. rockgor

Dan, where ya been? Good to see ya back

Hi Fingers. Ever notice how many songs have dance/dancing in the title?