Q: Does anyone get really fatigued after eating?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have noticed of late that after eating or drinking anything sweet, I get an overwhelming fatigue that sweeps over me, lasts about 30 to 50 mins.

My last Blood Glucose(fasting) was 105. I am about ten pounds over ideal weight.

In particular, I noticed I drank grape juice and the feeling I got was awful. You know how you feel if you have been prevented from sleeping due to long journey, just sheer exhaustion, it is that.

Is there any connex. between this and CFS/FM. It is a different fatigue from the general fatigue with CFS.

Any answers would be welcome as I know some here also have prediabetes. Should I get tested after eating so they can check?

Love Annie C
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

More than a few sips of juice or a few bites of something sweet does the same to me. So I avoid them unless I'm having a hypoglycemic episode. Now that I've been feeling better, I can tolerate more sweet but it's really not a good idea, anyway. I guess that particular avenue of pleasure has been closed off from my life. Here's what Cheney says about sugar:

[Avoid sugar. It produces toxins (free radicals) that can cause pain, headaches, and neuropsychiatric problems. It stimulates growth of abnormal gut microflora, especially Candida albicans (yeast), and it raises insulin levels, which can cause blood sugar levels to drop sharply and increase fatigue. If you crave sugar, try eating other carbohydrates instead. If you do eat sugar, including fruit, it should be with meals, never alone. Honey and powdered fructose can be used in cooking, and the herb stevia can also be used. (Stevia is a noncaloric herb, native to Paraguay, that is extremely sweet and has been used as a sweetener for centuries. It is sold in various forms in health food stores.)

Plus insulin is the "aging" hormone. I'm trying to get away from carbs being most of my diet to protein and fat more but my liver needs to be handled delicately so it's slow going. Sugar is hard to give up. I was just watching "2 1/2 Men" and it was Jake's birthday and they brought out a birthday cake and I got an insane, horrible urge to eat cake!! I miss cake!! Too bad. The herb hoodia is supposed to help with carbohydrate cravings, but I'm going cold turkey! karen
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

"Viruses breathe sugar" William Wong N.D. www.drwong.us

After you eat, blood get dirverted from the brain to the stomach...post pranial depression.

Your blood sugar should be checked before and after a meal. Blood glucose meters are getting real cheap. You can Google for diabetes and blood glucose for guidelines with the numbers OR check w/ your doctor.

Fiber slows down the sugar absorbtion rate, so whole grapes may not affect you. Eat whole fresh fruit but limit this too, since your pre-diabetes. NO fruit juices.

4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I wanted to add that it happens even after eating anything, but is worse if what I eat is sweet. The cake and grape juice were both organic, but still sweet. I normally don't go in for much sweet stuff but it was birthday day and DH's surprise... The cake was carrot cake, tiny slice. Also the grape juice was the fizzy sort. I have noticed that if I drink sweetened tea I get the same thing, so you are right, I need to eliminate sugar, even the small amount I use and I think I got my last bout of stomach problems after eating grapes. so appreciate the advice.

love annie c

5. SherylD

SherylD Guest

You could be having a msg or sulfite reaction...Even though it is organic..they still treat it with stuff. Grapes are high in sulfites...I can't eat any grapes..not even organic.

Was it that K. Hudson (sp?) juice?? I know that is not a safe juice. Not sure why, but I know alot of people react to it.

As for the cake...who knows what was in that.

Whenever I get something with MSG...I could seriously just fall over. Most of the time I have to go lay down..go to sleep. It is really scary when I am out and get something then have to drive home.

Also..If you have a yeast problem...I have read where you can react to everything you eat in some way. I react somehow to everything I eat too. I can eat something and it will bother my stomach...then the next thing will give me a headache...or I could just get extreme pain, especially in my neck. or I feel like I could just pass out, can not keep my eyes open. I get itching and or hives.. OR! I swell really bad (this happens all the time). All of these things happen within minutes of eating..

Everyone always says to keep a food diary...well that didn't seem to work because I reacted to everything...So I found it hard to elliminate things...And when I would look back on it I couldn't figure anything out.

Check out msgmyth dot com...they even have a board there. I like to do some reading there..

I hope you get some answers for this..I know how it feels when it comes to food! I would love to eat whatever I want again!!

SherylD
  6. monkeyswithwings

monkeyswithwings New Member

When I eat a meal I always "go south" while digesting. Doesn't matter whether it's sweet or not. The fog rolls in and I sink like a stone. It's as though my body is preoccupied and can only do that. I have learned to eat lightly whenever I have to try to function, and even with a light lunch, I need at least an hour to hope to re-capture a modicum of clarity. Such it is. rik carlson
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For your helpful replies. I will check out all the suggetsions.

Annie C
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I would get a good Physical and get my heart checked out you know how we get busy and forget somethings about our health.

I do get what I call Winds of exhaustion that come over me at unforseen times.Like you said its very fast just like a wind was to blow me over.I will need to lay down for a few.I've not been able to figure out why it happens I'll watch what I eat to see if there is a connection.

I hope you feel better.Have a good day.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/01/2006]
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

I had major problems eating which I licked with: the no sugar thing, taking digestive enzymes with every meal and taking betaine hcl (stomach acid) pills whenever I ate meat. I still take them, after awhile I'm thinking I won't need them anymore. But most of your energy is directed to digestion after you eat, remember how you're not supposed to go swimming? So help it along and you won't get overwhelmed. Taking pills for digestion is another remedy than promises instant results, which I love! karen
  10. singingirl

singingirl New Member

It is never one certain thing, but there are a lot of times that in the middle of chewing my food, I get too tired to even finish chewing. It is the wierdest feeling, I hate it.
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I do have my heart checked out regularly, so this is OK except for the dilated aorta, which I will discover in February if it has grown any, or whether it is just "normal" for me.

Sorry I could not get back sooner, I had a 30 hour headache from neck up, you know how it gets, the pain moves around, first neck, then arm, then leg. Back in the leg again today now headache lifted more or less.

I have got some digestive enzymes too, and I think all of the suggestions are valed. Thanks again.

Love Annie C