Q for all the nurses? Pick your brains

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Nov 3, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

hi
    i wonder if i can pick your brains real quick.

I am getting glutathione IVs from an alternative practitioner and she is charging me $120 for them.

But I just called a pharmacy that supplies glutathione and I could get a month's supply of liquid glut for the same price.

I'd like to do the treatments myself at home and save money.....all I have to do is learn how to stick myself ...and then I cld either give it to myself as a fast push .. or mix it with saline and give myself an IV.

The very thought makes me squirm and obviously I'd have to learn how to find a vein. So my question is.. Do you think this is possible?

Or should I look at finding a nurse locally who would be prepared to come in and help me?

It's gotta be cheaper than handing over $120 to this doc. Right?

Any thoughts, tips appreciated.

delia
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I think the IV is more effective. Dr Joseph Brewer said he thought they were worth the money... vs. oral liposomal, or nebulising or whatever.

And having tried both ways, I agree.

I have all the nebulising stuff..I'm just not sure how effective that delivery method is.

Where do u get yr supplies BTW? Key Pharmacy?

cheers
    delia
  3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

great advice. I'll look into it.

Lu...I ordered the stuff from Key Pharmacy but I'm in the Midwest.

delia
  4. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

Hello -

My Wholistic MD has me on Glutathione.
    I give myself a shot in the thigh, 2cc
    however, I have to say that it is kinda painful.

I see a doc from the Fibro-Fatigue Clinic.

So, the last time I saw her she suggested that
    I get the equipment to nebulize it, inhale it.

I need to check into this, as I've stopped using
    it b'cuz of the pain in administering it. I also
    have wondered if there would be an option of
    shooting it in my leg along with an analgesic,
    to decrease the injection pain.

Let me know what you decide to do.

By the way, how does one go about getting a nebulizer?
    Is it expensive to buy or can you get your insurance
    to rent or buy one?

Ciao,
    Jill
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

got it off some medical supply company on the Internet.

I've heard of people injecting the glutathione in the butt.. that might be less painful.

Does your doc think that the nebulising method is effective and do they have another source other than Key Pharmacy?

delia
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Glutathione can be administered IM and nebulized and a lot of people on the board are using it in a nebulized form, which has to be cheaper and can be self administered.

Ask if that is acceptible to your provider.

I was an Advanced Nurse Practitioner and a Nurse Anesthetist and I don't think I could start an indwelling IV with any real success on myself.

Ask about the IM and the nebulized forms.
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

8. deliarose

deliarose New Member

9. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I am not a nurse and am not on this board much but I was just looking at your post. I just started the glut iv's a few weeks ago after the FM newsletter about dopamine came out. I showed it to my alt dr. and he mentioned that this would help. My reg iv costs $120 and they are piggy backing the glut for another $60. So I am not sure if that is way out of line or not. I am in the Chicago area. Hope that a least gives you a comparison. Good luck.

Nancy