Q for Richvank: Mercury or Methylation First?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, Feb 10, 2009.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Hi Rich,

I was hoping you might be able to shed some light on this question for me. So, I'm trying to
    figure out whether to do mercury chelation or the methylation protocol first. Is it dangerous to do chelation if you haven't already addressed methylation, and conversely, is the methylation protocol harmful if you still have high levels of mercury in your blood? I recently had my amalgams replaced, but now I'm not sure what the next step is. Thanks,

2. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi Liz.

I can't give individual treatment advice unless a licensed physician is directly involved to review my suggestions in the light of their knowledge of the particular case.

However, I will note that normally a healthy body detoxes mercury using glutathione. In CFS, in most cases, glutathione is depleted, and this depletion is associated with a block in the methylation cycle.

Some people are successful in chelating mercury to remove it, but others experience a worsening condition when they do this. I think that the reason for the latter is that the so-called chelators do not bind mercury tightly enough. Some mercury is bound by them, but is later released before it is excreted from the body. If this happens in a body that is depleted in glutathione, there is no "back-up," so the mercury is able to bind to another enzyme in the body, causing problems again. For this reason, in general I think it is wiser to raise glutathione first by lifting the methylation cycle block. Then the normal detox system can start dealing with the built-up mercury, and if a mercury ion becomes unbound, there will be other glutathione molecules to serve as a "back-up." It may not be necessary to do chelation if the normal detox system can handle the built-up mercury.

In any case, I recommend working with a physician who is experienced in mercury detox.

3. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Thank you so much for your explanation. Most doctors would just shrug if asked a question that required such a level of detailed knowledge. What you said about glutathione being a back-up chelator makes perfect sense; I just never thought of it that way before.

I am in fact working with a physician who is well versed in mercury detox. He just doesn't necessarily know enough about the methylation protocol to discuss it in the context of chelation.

Thank you again,