QEEG and Brain Mapping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by glenpr, Aug 13, 2008.

1. glenpr

glenpr New Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Qeeg along with brain mapping treatments?

2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I had a QEEG and then did some neurofeedback. The neurofeedback made me worse, and the practitioner didn't know why despite having a QEEG. According to the "QEEG", they said, they were doing the right thing. I don't think its as accurate as they claim it is - either that or the ability to interpret it and then guide NF treatment isn't as strong as they claim. Either way, I'm not a fan of NF - in the end it made my cognitive symptoms worse.

If you are going to do it just for diagnositc purposes for disability or something, I'd probably skip it and go to the Amen clinic and get a SPECT scan. I think there is more of a body of evidence with respect to SPECT so your ability to convince a disability company might be better. Since EEG is limited to recording brain activity as voltages on the scalp, it is also more limited than SPECT in the information it can gather. SPECT can activity in your brain, not just on the scalp. They both have their merits as tests though...

The QEEG test itself shouldn't effect your symptoms at all, however, so I don't think there is any danger (or benifit) to doing it from an illness perspective. I just personally don't think the NF treatment is very effective for CFS and my personal experience wasn't good...
    [This Message was Edited on 08/14/2008]
  3. cct

cct Member

Yes, I had a QEEG Brain Mapping and I also participated in 60 biofeedback treatments.

The Brain Mapping information was intersting and the information was minimally helpful in my SS Disability case.

The biofeedback sessions were a bit of a rollercoaster ride . . . up and down. . .up and down. Sometimes they made me feel better and sometimes they made me feel worse.

After about 40 treatments, I began to feel better more often. After 60 treatemnt, I hit a wall and did not seem to receive any further benefits. I stopped after 60 treatments. All of the benefits that I had gained completely disapated in about three months.

They do say that your level of improvement is dependent on the level and duration of your illness. I had been ill for a couple of decades so, according to the practitioners, my recovery from CFS would be limited. They were right, my recovery was very limited.
  4. aftermath

aftermath New Member

Brain mapping is controversial, even among neurotherapists.

What I would definitely caution you avoid is any dealings with an outfit that claims to have a patented cure for this illness--with neurotherapy or any other treatment.

5. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Based on my experience with neurofeedback, I am skeptical of the claims that many practitioners make about it. I think if you have a condition where it has been studied as a treatment (certain types of ADD/ADHD), its probably worth a try. For most everything else, I think there isn't much evidence. There certainly aren't standardized protocols for FMS/CFS, and I think the risk of harm is higher, especially if you don't know whats causing your illness to begin with - as most of us don't.

The QEEG itself can show slow waves in CFS/FMS. But it says nothing as to whats causing those slow waves. Supposing its an ongoing infection, "training" your EEG to be faster is unlikely to work, and might even backfire... at least that was my experience.[This Message was Edited on 08/16/2008]
  6. glenpr

glenpr New Member

ty all for your opinions
  7. glenpr

glenpr New Member

Anchor I am kind of thinking along those lines too. Years ago I had a unique skull infection which didn't respond until I had experimental antibiotics, at the time they told me because there wasnt enough blood (with the antibiotic) going to the skull. I think that the blood volume and heart problem could very well be affecting it.

Simone, sorry if I sounded "off". I like to hear everyones opinion and thoughts. I am sorry that it didn't help you, I haven't heard of anyone yet that it has helped.

love glen
  8. glenpr

glenpr New Member