Q's about FM and Arthritis???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by steach, Jun 4, 2008.

1. steach

steach Member

Hi Friends-
    I am posting with questions about FM and arthritis.

1. What is the difference between RA and osteo?
    2. Are there blood tests to determine if one has arthritis? If so, will lab work determine what type?
    3. Does FM cause actual "bone" pain- for example: knuckles in the hands, knees, etc.?

A couple of years ago, I thought I broke my forefinger and had it x-rayed; it was not broken. It has gotten progressivly worse and has "bumps" on the first knuckle that look deformed. Some of my other fingers are starting to hurt and another finger is starting to develop a "bump". It seems that the only thing that relieves some of the pain is to "crack" my knuckles. My knees are starting to hurt, too, and when I am walking, they will "pop" or "crack"; they feel better after this happens.

Any info, suggestions?

2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The thing with your knuckle is probably a result of the trauma to your ligaments, tendons and connective tissue. You may want to read up on proteoglycans and mucopolysaccharides.
  3. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I did a bit of research for you and hope this helps.

What is rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) causes tissues lining the joints to become swollen, stiff, and painful (inflamed).

Over time, this inflammation may destroy the joint tissues. This can limit your daily activities and make it hard for you to walk and use your hands.

Rheumatoid arthritis is 2 to 3 times more common in women than in men. It often begins between the ages of 40 and 60.

Rheumatoid Arthritis Overview Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic type of arthritis. Early symptoms of RA include fatigue, joint pain, and stiffness. As it progresses, rheumatoid arthritis symptoms may feel like the flu, with achiness, muscle aches, and loss of appetite. The causes of rheumatoid arthritis are unknown, although there may be a genetic component. Early and effective rheumatoid arthritis treatment can improve the prognosis and may help prevent joint and bone destruction associated with RA.

Osteoporosis Questions
    What is osteoporosis?
    Osteoporosis (oss-tee-oh-puh-ro-sis) is a condition that means your bones are weak, and you’re more likely to break a bone. Since there are no symptoms, you might not know your bones are getting weaker until you break a bone!

A broken bone can really affect a woman’s life. It can cause disability, pain, or loss of independence. It can make it harder to do daily activities without help, such as walking. This can make it hard to participate in social activities. It can also cause severe back pain and deformity.

What bones does osteoporosis affect?
    Osteoporosis can happen to any of your bones, but is most common in the hip, wrist, and in your spine, also called your vertebrae ( ver-tuh-bray). Vertebrae are important because these bones support your body to stand and sit upright. See the picture below.

[This Message was Edited on 06/05/2008]
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Osteoporosis of the spine is a result of the discs between vertebrae becoming compressed and dry. When this happens the minerals (calcium in particular) are deposited on the outside of the bone and/or are picked up by the bloodstream and dumped elsewhere. I believe this may be known as bone remodeling (RA).
  5. steach

steach Member

I appreciate the efforts to get info for me and to both of you for so much info. Thanks for responding.