Quackbusters days are numbered

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Jan 4, 2007.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Tim Bolen and his Health Freedom Fighters are winning the war against Stephen Barrett and other industry backed jerks. www.quackpotbusters.org
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

After looking at his ridiculous website and getting my panties in a wad, I decided to email Mr. Barret and ask him some questions. This is the second email I got an answer to, he didn't answer the first:

Me: Hello, something told me you wouldn't answer this question so let's try again: after reviewing the FDA's requirements for winning approval, I would like to know who would be the one (company, agency, etc.) to test a natural, unpatentable product as a treatment for a disease.
    >
    SB: Anyone who is legally permitted to treat patients
    > can conduct studies.
    >
    Me: Why are natural products "off limits"
    > >as possible cures?
    >
    SB: They aren't. Lots of studies of "natural" products
    > are done.
    >
    Me: Just because they are not profitable?
    >
    SB: That's not a reason. Preliminary studies cost very
    > little. The first step, for example, might simply be to administer
    > something to a series of patients and carefully record what happens. Then a small controlled study can be done with little expense. It's true that if a
    > substance can't be patented, drug companies might not want to invest
    > what it would take to get FDA approval as a drug. However, they are
    > not the only source of research dollars. Think about niacin, for example. It's been proven to be very effective for cholesterol control and is medically accepted and prescribed even though it is not FDA-approved. The real reasons that vitamins, herbs, etc., have very little respect as treatment agents are that (a) proponents have little interest in doing appropriate research, and (b) most of them seem unlikely to work.

So my next question that I'm awaiting an answer to is:

Why would anybody have little interest in doing research on a natural substance other than it is unprofitable and why would a natural substance be less likely to work?

This is going to be fun pinning him down!

karen

BTW, has anyone here ever heard of a doctor prescribing niacin for lowering cholesterol? I'm just curious.
  3. sueliza

sueliza New Member

Hi,

Yes, my mom was told to take niacin years ago (maybe 15) by her doctor. If I remember correctly she took the extended release because the regular niacin made her flush. It is supposed to reduce cholesterol.

I don't think it worked all that well and she eventually started the prescription medications.

4. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

There is also alot of good information there. I have read almost all of his site and he really exposes some stuff there. Alot of the articles are also referenced by people like the Mayo Clinic and other reputable organizations. Just because someone believes in something doesn't mean it is good. One example comes to mind about chiros. I had a roommate that went to work for a group of them in VA. Her job was to be an assistant. Instead SHE did most of the treatments. Also, her other main job was to recruit friends and others for treatment. This "group" of doctors were so cheap she had to bring all of the patient towles home and wash them herself. I also heard of a chiro that was manipulating someones neck and parylized them for life. I went to one (against my will). He was also supposed to be an ortho. I told him my problem was in my shoulders and this quack told me one leg was one centimeter longer than the other and he commenced to pull on my leg until I threatened him. He never even looked at my shoulders. I will be having surgery on them soon by a REAL doctor. Just a few examples. Most of the procedures that chiros do are worthless, especially when you get into the crap where they measure body current, etc. I have been in electronics for around 30 years and I can see right through them. Alot of the other things are exposed also. Such as the qlink or whatever it is called. One site I read about claimed that it can prevent cancer. :) Like I have said time and time again when someone is in pain they can get guillable.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]
  5. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Barrow....
    Disease Treatment

High cholesterol and cardiovascular disease

Pharmacologic doses of nicotinic acid,(NIACIN) but not nicotinamide, have been known to reduce serum cholesterol since 1955 (22). Only one randomized placebo-controlled multicenter trial examined the effect of nicotinic acid therapy alone (3 grams daily) on outcomes of cardiovascular disease. The Coronary Drug Project (CDP) followed over 8,000 men with a previous myocardial infarction (heart attack) for 6 years (23). In the group that took 3 grams of nicotinic acid daily, total blood cholesterol decreased by an average of 10%, triglycerides decreased by 26%, recurrent nonfatal myocardial infarction decreased by 27%, and cerebrovascular events (stroke + transient ischemic attacks) decreased by 26% compared to the placebo group.
    Hope this helps... Or it could just be another quack...LOL
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Please THOROUGHLY research Stephen Barrett and Tim Bolen. Not just what they write.
  7. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

I have read about them. Most of my reading has been on Dr. Barrett. What is it that you want to know?
    Bob
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I may be wrong, but you seemed to defend him. And he says that aspartame is safe. Which isn't true. I had aspartame poisoning. He also says that MCS is not a legitimate illness. I have MCS.