Quaker Tradition: Simple Gifts

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Rafiki, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,

'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,

And when we find ourselves in the place just right,

'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gain'd,

To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,

To turn, turn will be our delight,

Till by turning, turning we come round right.

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I attended a Quaker meeting in Monte Verde, Costa Rica many years ago. There are American expat Quakers living there and I met some and attended their meeting. When I was told it was "just" a period of communal silence I was a bit alarmed because I did not think I could sit still and quiet for such a long time. It was wonderful and when it was over I did not want it to end.

Today when I heard the wonderful rendition that was played at the inauguration the words sprang to my mind and I felt peace and inspiration. "'tis a gift to be humble."

peace out,
    Rafiki
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Sing Simple Gifts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6yTRcr2dxM&feature=related

I love this hymn.

Enjoy
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You are lucky to have these resources close enough so that you can take advantage of them -- maybe both of them!

As you know, I can't really get out to have the community I would like. I'd love to join a Sangha (Buddhist congregation) but I can't get to one. This is why I, perhaps foolishly, looked for spiritual community here.

Thanks for noticing my post!

Peace,
    Rafiki
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

did anyone get a chance to look at the video? It's a beautiful hymn that I find so soothing and The King's Singers do a fantastic job with it.

I just can't imagine that any could listen and not be a little more peaceful.

I'm going to go listen again!

peace
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

That makes me so happy, Rainbow!

It is a beautiful meditation on peace, a Quaker hymn, a performance on "Hour of Power"... something for everyone, surely!

Thank you!!!
    r
  7. windblade

windblade Active Member

I love that song 'Simple Gifts' - I didn't recognize it at the Inaugaration though. It kept haunting me, and now I'm glad to know what it was. It was so familiar.

Don't give up on your hope of finding or forming a Sangha here.

I was gone for a day, and am astonished coming back at all the vitality, and new people that have come. Hooray!!!!

And, (I'm still on an Inaugaration High), if things can change so drastically as they have here in this country, then change is possible, and inclusiveness, and courtesy and respect.

However, on a realistic note, it helps a lot for me to push, 'ignore this post', if I know a person is bordering on abusive or saying destructive things. And they are consistent in being that way.

Then, I can just delight in all the wonderful new voices here. Believe me, this is a big wonderful change.

Peace and Blessings, Rafiki
    p.s. I'm saving up for a treat today to listen to the video you spoke of. It will be wonderful to hear again.
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You, Windblade, are a gift!

~peace~
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

Listened to the video just now.

Such purity, and lightness of spirit. Joyful and wise, like children.

Peace and Blessings