Quality of Supplements...How to know?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Nov 6, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Anyone know a way, besides word of mouth to verify the quality and/or reputability of a company that sells supplements. My FFC doctor has encouraged me to search for my supps for a cheaper rate elsewhere, but said to be careful that they are good quality.

Well, I was in a particular bad fog that day or I would have asked him. Is there any standard way to check on a company? I know there are many out to help, but also many others that are out to make $$.

I know some here have used supps from this websites store. How have you found them? I heard the store is run by someone who suffers with us from FMS so, for me, that means a lot in the trust department, because they simply know what we're going through. I have a few I need that I've found here but just wanted to get some input from those who know best.

Thanks a bunch!
    Jen
  2. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

It's a problem isn't it? cost v quality and how to know whether a brand is reputable and if what we are paying for is what we really get. I used to get all my stuff from Golden Glow (an Aust. co.) and have stopped and gone elsewhere on the advice of my naturopath. So that might be a starting point: find a naturopath, who is not plugging a particular brand - because some of them do - and get some ideas. You can just walk into some of them and just ask without having to have a consultation. Ask around and get a few opinions. - Or else ring up, but I find I like to sense the feel of their clinic. Also, if they are only stocking a limited range, it is a good indication that they may provide a biased comment. I cannot comment on the products sold here as I have not, so far, purchased any, but I do intend to.
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Jen,
    I take a lot of supplements, and I've fund that sticking with well known brands seems to be the best.

At our health food store we have an herbalist who is very knowledgable, and he can point out contradictions on the labels. For instance, what is printed on the front of the bottle may be contradicted by what is printed on the back, as far as ingredients or content.( This is usually by use of scientific terms that most people aren't familiar with, so they don't know that there is a discrepency}.

As for cheaper, the say that Costco has really good prices,and still carries regular brands. I don't know, as I haven't gone - it's far away from me.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2005]
  4. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

Howdy!

Consumer Labs is an online organization that checks supplements for their quality. For example, they will check many different brands of Vitamin C and see if the vitamin really has the amount in it that it says it does. Stuff like that..... might be worth checking out...?

According to their website, it says "Mission: To identify the best quality health and nutrition products through independent testing."

www.consumerlabs.com

P.S. I don't work for them or anything - just have researched stuff before using their site.
  5. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

...for the great replies. I'll check out that web addy now.

Hugs,
    Jen
  6. cph13

cph13 Member

great website peachbunny. Seems I'm not as knowledgeable as I thought with the manufacturers of vit. this helps so much
    cph
  7. shelbo

shelbo New Member

sells excellent supplements of superior quality at a fair price...and it helps to fund further research into these DDs...

God bless, Love Shelbo

8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

would be to stay away from supplements sold in drugstores. Unsana is a really good brand.
  9. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

I think I'll try the supps here at ProHealth. They seem like a good company with quality products. The fact that they donate to research where not many do is great too!

Thanks for all the good advice!

Hugs,
    Jen
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

ConsurerLab also publishes something - not sure it it is a book or magazine - titled "Guide to Buying Vitamins & Supplements - What’s really in the bottle?". Your local library may have it.

For vitamins and minerals, look for the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) symbol on the label. The USP publishes a book titled "The USP Guide to Vitamins and Minerals" with information on benefits, recommended intake, side effects and precautions.

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) would have information on real badies.
  11. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

I read the supplements sold at Albertsons/SavOn; Equaline brand is the name & have been verified by certification as pure ingredients. I buy those, what brand name is on sale and mail order from Swanson.