quercetin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rrrr, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

anyone try this with any results? if so, what did you try it for and what did it do? how much did you take and what brand?

warmly
    rrrr
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I just searched this topic on here yesterday and didn't find anything recent and only a couple of old posts. The reason that I searched it is because I belong to another support group for CFS and FM and someone on the board got a really horrid case of hives that the doctor and medicine wasn't fixing.

She decided to get some Quercetin since it is supposed to help with allegies. Well it worked. In a day her hives were gone and not only that but her illness is SOOO much better. She went from mostly bedridden to doing everything. She has been on it about a week or so and isn't sure if the results will be lasting but she is hoping so. She says she is feeling a lot more like her old self.

It sounded very encouraging. I am sure not everyone will have the same results but this is what her experience is.

She is taking the whole foods brand. Not sure how much she is taking. I know she started with 500mg but bumped it up possibly to 1000mg or 1500mg. I am definitely not sure on the dosage so don't go with what I say.

Anyhow, just thought I would respond with this. She checked with her doctor first so you may want to do the same if you are on any other meds.

Take Care!
    Pam
  3. Rrrr

Rrrr Member

yes, i actually posted this question because of that same woman's experience (so we must be on that same list)!
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

So funny! I didn't know you were there as well :) I have the same user name over there. I thought it was so crazy for someone to ask about it when we were just having a convo on the other board LOL! Now it makes sense :)

Doesn't look like anyone here has experience with it though. Would have been nice to see if others have tried it.

Take Care!
    Pam
  5. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

never heard of the drug so i did a search on the med site that i use to look up new meds and this is what it had to say about this med:

An aglycon of quercitrin, rutin, and other glycosides; occurs usually as the 3-rhamnoside; used in the treatment of abnormal capillary fragility.

Just thought you guys might like to know....SueF
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

From Immune Support

Quercitin/Bromelain On Allergies

Despite dramatic advances in medical technology, chronic diseases are on the rise. Asthma, a life-threatening respiratory condition, and other allergy related diseases, have now reached epidemic proportions, increasing by an astonishing 74% over the last decade, affecting over 15 million Americans.

An allergy or asthma attack occurs when the immune system mounts an assault against an offending substance, usually food or something in the environment. Allergies are often at the root of many chronic conditions that vanish once you remove the allergic substance, for example: asthma, eczema, bronchitis, fatigue, migraines, gastrointestinal disorders, weight gain, heart palpitations, and depression.

According to many health care practitioners, Quercetin can be taken to combat the symptoms associated with seasonal allergies. Quercetin, a "cousin" of the more-well known bioflavonoid rutin, is one of a thousand or so members of the bioflavonoid family, a group of coloring pigments that provide plants antioxidant protection against environmental stress.

Quercetin is able to inhibit allergy and inflammatory responses by inhibiting the release of antibodies which cause histamine to be released.

Histamine released into the tissue and blood produces the conditions related to allergies and asthma including: runny, swollen nose, blocked sinuses, itchy eyes, skin blotches, coughing and wheezing, etc. Quercetin also inhibits the production of enzymes responsible for manufacturing a fatty acid called leukotrienes (LTs) which impedes the constriction of millions of tiny air sacs within the lungs causing the asthmatic response.

However, Quercetin is not soluble in water causing it to be a poorly absorbed nutrient. Bromelain, which is a protein-digesting enzyme from pineapples, increases the absorption of Quercetin.

Bromelain also inhibits several common inflammatory mediators. Bromelain is widely used in sports medicine to reduce the pain and swelling of bruises, sprains, and muscle tears. One such study from an orthopedic surgeon treated 59 of his patients with Bromelain. His results showed that treatment with Bromelain resulted in a clear reduction in both swelling and the symptoms of pain. (Food Chem Toxicol. 1995; 33(12):1061-1080.)

From the research performed to date, it is clear that Quercetin combined with Bromelain may provide the necessary punch to overcome the difficult cold and allergy seasons.

---

Extract from info at the Find Articles web site

“As quercitin is very poorly absorbed in the human gut, it is recommended that patients take a more bioavailable form such as water-soluble quercitin hydrate or "activated" quercitin [Activated quercitin is a combination of quercitin and bromelein and magnesium ascorbate. According to literature published by a major "activated" quercitin manufacturer/ distributor, ...., various clinical studies have demonstrated that vitamin C improves the absorption of quercitin]. Interestingly, the marriage of ascorbate with quercitin packs its own therapeutic punch.”

---

More at
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercetin<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 10/12/2007</i>]
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

The anti-inflammatory flavones quercetin and kaempferol cause inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase, cyclooxygenase-2 and reactive C-protein, and down-regulation of the nuclear factor kappaB pathway in Chang Liver cells

Victoria García-Mediavillaa, Irene Crespoa, Pilar S. Colladoa, Alejandro Estellerb, Sonia Sánchez-Camposa, María J. Tuñóna and Javier González-Gallegoa, ,
    aInstitute of Biomedicine, University of León, 24071 León, Spain
    bDepartment of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Salamanca, 37071 Salamanca, Spain
    Received 2 August 2006; revised 2 November 2006; accepted 6 November 2006. Available online 15 November 2006.

Abstract

We examined the ability of the flavonoids quercetin and kaempferol to modulate inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and reactive C-protein (CRP) expression, and to induce changes in the nuclear factor kappa B (NF-?B) pathway in the human hepatocyte-derived cell line Chang Liver.

Cells were incubated with a cytokine mixture supplemented with quercetin or kaempferol (5 to 200 µmol/l). Kaempferol produced a significant concentration-dependent decrease of iNOS, COX-2 and CRP protein level at all concentrations, but the percentage of inhibition induced by quercetin was reduced at high concentrations.

Both flavonoids significantly inhibited mRNA level of iNOS, COX-2, and CRP. Inhibitory effects by quercetin and kaempferol were also observed on NF-?B activation and on protein concentration of the phosphorylated form of the inhibitor I?Ba and of IKK (I?B kinase)a.

The present study suggests that the modulation of iNOS, COX-2 and CRP by quercetin or kaempferol may contribute to the anti-inflammatory effects of these two structurally similar flavonoids in Chang Liver cells, via mechanisms likely to involve blockade of NF-?B activation and the resultant up-regulation of the pro-inflammatory genes.

Our data also indicate that the minor structural differences between both compounds determine differences in their inhibitory capacity.

---

From the life extension website

Quercetin prevents viral illness

A study conducted at Appalachian State University in North Carolina has demonstrated that quercetin, an antioxidant compound found in such foods as red grapes and green tea, reduces viral illnesses and helps maintain mental performance in individuals under extreme physical stress. The finding was presented on February 9, 2007 at the southeastern regional meeting of the American College of Sports Medicine, held in Charlotte, North Carolina.

In research funded by a $1.1 million dollar contract awarded by the U.S. Department of Defense, Dr David Neiman of Appalachian State University’s Department of Health, Leisure and Exercise Science and his colleagues divided forty cyclists to receive 1,000 milligrams quercetin combined with vitamin C and niacin to aid absorption, or a placebo for five weeks. During the third week of the trial, the athletes rode a bicycle to the point of exhaustion three hours per day for three days. Blood and tissue samples were analyzed to ascertain any physiological changes that may have occurred.

Forty-five percent of the participants who received a placebo reported illness after being physically stressed, compared with only 5 percent of the group that received quercetin. No side effects were observed. “That’s a highly significant difference,” Dr Nieman stated. “When you have a double-blind, placebo-controlled study and you have those kinds of differences, it can’t be due to chance.”

“These are ground-breaking results,” Dr Neiman announced, “because this is the first clinical, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study that has found a natural plant compound to prevent viral illness.”

“It appears that it takes significant stress to bring out quercetin’s infection-fighting properties,” he observed. “This all happened when athletes were under high oxidative stress, when stress hormones were high, and they were also undergoing muscle damage. The athletes taking the quercetin supplement maintained their ability to react to an alertness test when exhausted, whereas those who took the placebo became measurably slower. The infection data and vigilance data are our two biggest findings in this study.”

The US Department of Defense’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) took an interest in quercetin when searching for a therapy to help maintain the immune systems of troops who experience severe physical and mental stress.

“The question that needs to be answered now is will quercetin help members of the general community who are just going through mental stress,” said Dr Nieman. “I really want to see if this substance will help the common person. That’s what we’re gearing up for with our next research project.”
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 10/12/2007</i>]
  8. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

I use Quercetin with Bromelain. I love the stuff for allergies, especially for my stuffed up nose.

For a loading dose sometimes I will take 3 cap. 3 times a day. Sometimes just as maintanence I will take 1, 2 or 3 a day.

If I am going someplace that has dogs, or something I will be allergic too I load myself up a couple of days and then take one or 2 each day I am there and the problem doesn't bother me or barely affects me.

I just buy the cheap NOW foods brand.
  9. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I've been off and on it a couple of times with no impact on my CFS. I take it for male chronic pelvic pain. It helps a little.
  10. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Could not tolerate the supp i bought but some of the anti inflammatory foods I use contain a goodly amount e.g.onion
  11. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I just read this article today and thought quercetin might be helpful for us. I crave apples and eat them every day even though taste-wise I could take them or leave them. I don't know if this is why.&lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    'An apple a day... well you know how the rest of it goes. But in addition to keeping the doctor away, that apple might also increase your physical endurance. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Dr. Al Sears explains: &quot;Quercetin is a plant pigment or flavanoid found in onions, apples, berries, grapes, and red wine. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;It's a powerful antioxidant/anti-inflammatory that boosts your immune system and increases the mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell) in your muscles and brain. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;It's only recently that researchers discovered its power to boost human performance. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;A recent study by the University of South Carolina published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism found that quercetin taken as a daily supplement improves your endurance even if you don't exercise! &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;Individuals in the study who took quercetin experienced a 13.2 percent increase in their performance and a 3.9 percent increase in VO2 max. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;If you're a tennis player, cyclist, or competitive athlete, just imagine what a 13 percent increase in performance would do. You'd maybe even become a world champion. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;Or maybe you'd just like to have plenty of energy to get through the work day, a weekend with the kids, or a home improvement project. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;And there's more... &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;Quercetin can help average adults battle fatigue and stress daily. It also reduces susceptibility to the flu. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;It protects your brain from oxidative stress which is associated with Alzheimer's. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;And it may lead to prevention and treatment of metabolic diseases like diabetes and obesity. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    &quot;It also is being looked at for cancer prevention, allergies, and childhood asthma.&quot; '&lt;BR&gt;
  12. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I have been supplementing with FRS Healthy Energy for a couple of years now. Although I'm not sure it actually helps with the fatigue I am convinced that it has given my immune system a much needed boost. Since I started taking it I have not been affected by any serious infections, viral or bacterial. &lt;BR&gt;
    &lt;BR&gt;
    Now, as soon as I put that in print I will end up flat on my back with some awful infection LOL, but heck, it's been a pretty decent couple of years.