Question about anemia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

After a visit to dr. rheumy (I was in a terrible flare and tired as the dickens), he thought maybe I had Polymyalgia Rheumatica (in addn to FMS and Myofacial pain).

I had some bloodwork done on July 14. I was called back for more bloodwork a week later. The nurse said I was anemic. No mention of the polymy ect.

I requested a copy of each report. But (LOL), I have no idea what I'm reading.

My hemoglobin level was 10.6 on the first test and 11.3 on the 2nd. I was told the anemia was better, just drink oj and eat a banana a day (great for the constipation - Yeah, right - Not).

Normal is 12.0 - 16.0. Could being in the low, almost normal range, be causing me such tiredness & pain? The only thing else out of range on my last test was RBC 3.47 (L), Hematocrit 34.1 (L), and %Neut 85.9 (H).

I do have an appt 8/7, and I will ask him to address the problems, just thought I could ask some of you who have knowledge re: bloodwork what you may think.

Thanks,
    Nikki
  2. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I had unresolved anemia for years. I ate well, and actually, with a Western diet full of suplimentation, it is actually quite hard to be anemic. So, it went on, I took more iron, but it never got better, I had a hyster, etc, no improvement.

Because I had undiagnosed Celiac's Disease!! It destroys the villi in the small intestine, and the upper part of the small intertine is the part that absorbs fats, and iron is a fat soluble mineral. So, it didn't matter what I did, I would never really get a "normal" hemoglobin reading.

So, oddly enough, even tho no one in my family had this problem, I did. My problems progressed until I got so sick I almost died. I ended up cannibalizing my bone marrow to stay alive before they discovered what was wrong with me.

My mission is that if I can help just one person with some knowledge that the symptoms can be obscure, and yet can become life threatening. Don't depend on your Dr's to figure things out. Demand tests to rule out simple things like food allerigies that can be bringing you WAY down. Many times it is the simple things we are putting into our bodies every day that are affecting us without our knowledge.

Yours in health,
    Bunny
  3. Nikki

Nikki Member

That's scarry. I've almost always had a problem with being anemic, too.

Maybe it's time to schedule another bone density test.

What is celiac? And, can it be cured? Guess, I could just quit being lazy and jump on the internet.

Hugs,
    Nikki